No announcement yet.

Birthright (710)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just rewatched this episode and during Mala's conversation with Sam I started wondering... If the Jaffa women have symbiots in the same place as their male counterparts, where does the fetus reside? Isn't the symbiote pouch in its way? I mean, the symbiote is quite big, after all.

Comment

very good episode. I think that the hak'til warriors are very well portrayed and I like the episode all around. Lots of drama that really advances the plot and engages, which I love, comedy is great, drama is great, they each have their place, and I love both, and this episode really gave the drama that was needed, not so much where you wanna break down and cry but just enough where you feel a part of the story.

Also, I recommend the commentary on this episode, I found it very informative and entertaining (I've listened to every commentary up to this point, and this is the first I've recommended, there have been some good ones, I like most with james tichenor and Martin wood. Peter Deluise goes off on tangents, which are funny lol, but not so informative. Peter Woeste and Jim Menard are alwasy great too. Also, the director's series and Beyond the gate w/ R.D. Anderson on this disc are great too.)
      Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

This was a better episode than I remembered it being, but at the end of the day I just find Jaffa society quite boring. There's a decent supporting cast here, and I am interested in how tretonin is worked into any plot because it's pretty cool, but the episode is hardly thrilling. There's some slightly odd editing choices, too, which I found very distracting.

I had to laugh at the end of the episode when Teal'c kisses Ishta in the gate room and SG-1 kind of get uncomfortable and walk away ... but notice that General Hammond is in the background having a good look!

RATING: 7 out of 10
        Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I liked the storyline and the characters - what the priestesses suffered and how they took control of their destiny. I thought the casting was great - genuinely fit and strong but still feminine women. Ishta was fabulous. Perfect match for T.

The fight scene was excellent!

Comment

Tuesday night...another ep of SG1...

1. Was looking forward to seeing Jolene Blalock in SG1 for shallow reasons, took a bit of getting used to seeing her as a blonde though.

2. Very nice blag from CJ in getting Jolene to play Ishtar!

3. A few GW salutes from TPTB in the character names I believe!

4. Very nicely played from Daniel!

5. As the guys said in the podcast, a good way of extending the tretonin arc.

Solid ep, was good to SG1 back on form.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Better than most of this seasons average eps.

The idea of Amazon Jaffa was pretty cool.

Laughed at Jacks penis joke haha
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hallonbuske View Post
                I just rewatched this episode and during Mala's conversation with Sam I started wondering... If the Jaffa women have symbiots in the same place as their male counterparts, where does the fetus reside? Isn't the symbiote pouch in its way? I mean, the symbiote is quite big, after all.
                Very good question. I imagine their internal organs just squish together a little more, or they have smaller babies.
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

An interesting episode.

Chris Judge wrote another good episode, although it is not as good as The Changeling was.

I like the fact there's a faction of Free Jaffa that are female. They'll be back next season.

Tomorrow, Anubis's new super warriors.
                  sigpic

Comment

The worst episode of the season for me. Even though it had Jolene Blalock and her performance was the best thing in it, the female Jaffa just didn't seem that convincing as warrior women, Xena they are not!!!!

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I actually kind of like this episode. It shows more insight into a part of Jaffa culture we knew little about. We learned about how the women of the Jaffa operate and how submissive they had to be. It is not a surprising aspect but I like seeing this none the less. I also like seeing that tretonin has its drawbacks.That is an interesting possible side effect that I kind of wish that was explored a little bit more in future seasons. The whole Hacktyl being stubborn about changing to the new ways of the Jaffa Rebellion is a little on the crazy side it was interesting to me to see how they were resistant to such change even though the old system had them opressed.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

The Tretonin story was interesting. But I fast forwarded on this one. Shame on me, but CJ does not write good scripts IMO

Comment

Here is a question. Sam said that these children have been genetically altered. How do I understand that? I mean are the kids born without the immune system intact at birth? They already have a pouch? It must be so since these children were taken away, and the Goa'uld would not have been able to alter them in anyway since they did not have access to them. But how would they survive for so long without a symbiote and no immune system? Or maybe I am misunderstanding something mentioned earlier in the seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                              i enjoyed this episode, was interesting and i think chris just wanted tpol for the part so he could snog her!
                              The same thought crossed my mind after I found out he wrote the part with her in mind.

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                              This was a better episode than I remembered it being, but at the end of the day I just find Jaffa society quite boring. There's a decent supporting cast here, and I am interested in how tretonin is worked into any plot because it's pretty cool, but the episode is hardly thrilling. There's some slightly odd editing choices, too, which I found very distracting.

I had to laugh at the end of the episode when Teal'c kisses Ishta in the gate room and SG-1 kind of get uncomfortable and walk away ... but notice that General Hammond is in the background having a good look!

RATING: 7 out of 10
                              Being able to deal with uncomfortable situations is a sign of leadership.

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                              Here is a question. Sam said that these children have been genetically altered. How do I understand that? I mean are the kids born without the immune system intact at birth? They already have a pouch? It must be so since these children were taken away, and the Goa'uld would not have been able to alter them in anyway since they did not have access to them. But how would they survive for so long without a symbiote and no immune system? Or maybe I am misunderstanding something mentioned earlier in the seasons.
                              I was confused by this as well. As I understand it Teal'c's son was about to get a pouch cut into him during a ceremony when Teal'c saved him so they're probably not born with pouches. His son seems to do well without a symbiote or tretonin so he probably hasn't been genetically altered. I suppose it's possible that Apophis chose not to have his Jaffa genetically altered while others did.
                              Originally posted by Descended
                              That blackhole was awfully weak, since the last blackhole they encountered practically stopped time in the SGC through a wormhole linked to a planet that was merely orbiting a blackhole, yet they flew almost into this one and all that happened was Teal'cs voice got a little deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Final View Post
                                I was confused by this as well. As I understand it Teal'c's son was about to get a pouch cut into him during a ceremony when Teal'c saved him so they're probably not born with pouches. His son seems to do well without a symbiote or tretonin so he probably hasn't been genetically altered. I suppose it's possible that Apophis chose not to have his Jaffa genetically altered while others did.
                                We never got a good look at the boy's abdomen, so it remains unclear whether he already had a pouch or not. It's possible those Jaffa kids are born with one that either opens on its own around puberty or perhaps they use a knife to open it in a ceremony, after which the symbiote will put in said pouch. It doesn't make a lot of sense for those priests to be able to create pouches, since we saw Hathor do her Queen-trick by making Jack a Jaffa in season one and the device and method she used was very different from Rya'c's ceremony.

I think it's just a continuity issue, like a lot of things concerning Jaffa and Goa'uld biology. Unfortunately it's not helped by the fact that there were different writers and PTB over the years as they explored more of the Jaffa/Goa'uld culture and biology. Also, CJ tends to write Teal'c heavy episodes because of something he'd like to see the character to/experience but seems to forget to look at past episodes that have explored similar issues, thereby creating more plotholes, inconsistencies or continuity issues.
                                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X