This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mythology/Race comparison

I'm a big mythology geek. In many of the stories of the norse mythology, Thor and many of the other norse gods were a friend to man. They helped them out of sticky situations and their stories often had very valueable lessons. However, in egyptian mythology, a lot of the gods were kind of...well...not so nice. Do you guys think this was a direct correlation between the Goa'uld (egypt) and the Asgard (norse) mythology, or just by chance?

Originally posted by aschen
    I'm a big mythology geek. In many of the stories of the norse mythology, Thor and many of the other norse gods were a friend to man. They helped them out of sticky situations and their stories often had very valueable lessons. However, in egyptian mythology, a lot of the gods were kind of...well...not so nice. Do you guys think this was a direct correlation between the Goa'uld (egypt) and the Asgard (norse) mythology, or just by chance?
    I imagine the things are set up that way in the series because of that relation, yes. How did the Celtic Gods treat their denizens, though? And the "Pagan", I suppose. I know people were worshipping Ba'al in bible times, though I don't know what race he really "belongs" to.
    Note my small and unobtrusive signature.
    You can bet I'm not compensating for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by the_red_chimp
      I imagine the things are set up that way in the series because of that relation, yes. How did the Celtic Gods treat their denizens, though? And the "Pagan", I suppose. I know people were worshipping Ba'al in bible times, though I don't know what race he really "belongs" to.
      Ba'al was the god of thunder. I cannot forsee any good he'd do...

Honestly, I was never too fond the Celtic and pagan gods. The only thing I really thought was interesting about the pagans were their strange traditions with human skulls... And yes... They DID that. I don't think they know WHY though. My guess is ancestor worship, which was a familiar trait found amongst the Aztec myths. They would actually ask a dead ancestor for permission for marriage, luck with rain and protection.

Comment

Well they are written like that, in SG-1 they explained a lot of aliens are posers in ancient times.

Egyptian gods are cruel, sure there are some good ones but...

Greek gods are temperamental, often torturing humans just for the fun of it. Gairwyn called the Goa'uld the Athens I think, in "Thor's Hammer".

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

I believe she called them Ettins

Comment

Indeed, they did.

Comment

Ba'al was the god of thunder. I cannot forsee any good he'd do...
              Well, yeah. And there was the fact that both the Hebrews and the Romans believed that his worshippers (the Canaanites, Phoenecians and their offshoots, the Carthaginians) practiced child sacrifice. Not a nice god. Though one must take that with a grain of salt; both the Hebrews and the Romans hated them, and so would not say nice things about them in any case.
              My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
              -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
              -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
              -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Who does you mean by "the Pagans"? By definition anyone who has a polytheistic religion is pagan.
                The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                  Who does you mean by "the Pagans"? By definition anyone who has a polytheistic religion is pagan.
                  Actually, it's anyone who isn't a member of one of the Judeo-Christian religions.

Although, if you go back far enough it just meant somebody who lived out in the country (Christianity spread in the cities, first, and only much later spread out to the countryside).
                  My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                  -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                  -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                  -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

There is a "direct correlation" ... Danny explains it in thor's hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                      That was in reference to the people of like Scottland or whatever. Those people that were all about the earth and what not.

Comment

Remember episode 308, Demons? Well the team discover a plant where the town is worshipping Christianity but the team isn't sure if it was ruled by a Goa'uld or not. Teal'c mentions that he'd read the Bible and he can't imagine a Goa'uld being as benevolent as the Christian god is portrayed. We later find out that the Goa'uld terrorizing the town is a Unas sent by Sokar posing as Satan.

So the darn Goa'uld just can't seem to play the part of the nice gods. Maybe it's because the "nice" gods don't go around putting their offspring in their followers' bellies.

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

What about Hathor, obviously she must have been "not too nice," even if she was the goddess of "sex, drugs and Rock and Roll"?

The Greeks also had a god like that, Dionysus, or Bachus sp? in Latin/Roman culture.

Comment

Originally posted by the_red_chimp
                            According to Alan G. Hefner who writes for pantheon.org, Baal was common a name of small Syrian and Persian deities. Baal is still principally thought of as a Canaanite fertility deity. The Great Baal was of Canaan. He was the son of El, the high god of Canaan. The cult of Baal celebrated annually his death and resurrection as a part of the Canaanite fertility rituals. These ceremonies often included human sacrifice and temple prostitution. The rest of the article can be found at:

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/baal.html

Just in case anybody was intersted.
                            Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                            O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                            O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                              What about Hathor, obviously she must have been "not too nice," even if she was the goddess of "sex, drugs and Rock and Roll"?

The Greeks also had a god like that, Dionysus, or Bachus sp? in Latin/Roman culture.
                              The queens are the worst. They're the evil incarnate that makes the little buggers.

Comment

Working...
                              X