No announcement yet.

Avenger 2.0 (709)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was watch Avenger on my dvd and notice something in the show that I hadn't seen before, so I don't know if it had been mention before.

When Sam and Felger went to orginal dhd the virus went to, I noticed that Sam had two patches on her right sleeve. The top one is the patch that has the team number on it. Does anyone know what the bottom patch is? This was the first time I had seen it.

Comment

I think you are referring to the wings. SG-1 (but none of the other SG teams) started wearing them in season six.
      Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by ravinia
        Have to agree with those who thought this episode had potential, but lost it in the execution and going for cheap laughs. Anyone who SHUT DOWN THE ENTIRE GATE SYSTEM would certainly be dealt with and I agree, no one with that record of continual incompetence would be allowed on the base, no matter how many flashes of brilliance they had at other times.

^Ravinia^
        I loved this episode, it was hilarius.

And it's not that Felger is incompetent. Sure his inventions don't work all that often but he is brilliant. HE DID NOT SHUT DOWN THE WHOLE GATE SYSTEM. His virus actually worked, it shut down the system because Ba'al messed with it. THAT wasn't Felger's fault and he did fix the problem in the end. He might seem incompetent because he is pretty much comic relief material but it doesn't mean he is or he wouldn't be allowed to stay at the base. It's not because we don't see it on the screen that he doesn't do stuff properly otherwise. His job is not all about inventing weapons to fight the Goa'uld, in fact the first time we see him, he was just doing some field research on transport rings, his job is probably mostly retro-engineering alien technology after Carter and her team have had a look at it.

Put the blame where it's deserved.
        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Words of wisdom given from a wise person. I think.
          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

While this ep was funny, it still doesn't beat The Other Guys. ROTFL!

Comment

Originally posted by LMichelle
              While this ep was funny, it still doesn't beat The Other Guys. ROTFL!
              "The Other Guys" was the original Felger ep. This one sort of (but not really, since it was good) suffered from the sequel curse. It'll never be as good as the original. (Some exceptions of course: the movie vs. the series being one).
              Rocky

Comment

yeh the other episode was good but the whole real/dream thing is confusing.

although i prefered the end on this one because of the whole jack hussing him thing and the cat fight!
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                  yeh the other episode was good but the whole real/dream thing is confusing.

although i prefered the end on this one because of the whole jack hussing him thing and the cat fight!
                  All the camera needed to do was pan down a bit.
                  Rocky

Comment

That's wrong. yeech!
                    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Felger's great! I hope we see more of him. That is if he's still allowed to work in the SGC

The line about the meeting which Teal'c was in : Oh yeah they got to take care of that, yeah, yeah.. The way he said it was just funny

Jack and Felger scenes are the best!

Comment

Originally, during its first run (in a fit of supreme idiocy) I refused to even watch The Other Guys because the idea sounded plain stupid to me. It wasn't until I heard that Avenger 2.0 in S7 featured the same characters that I grudgingly figured I'd best watch it so I knew what the heck Avenger was about.

So what do I know?

I watched TOG and laughed myself into a fit of sore ribs. One of my favourite episodes. Life lesson learned. Never judge an episode by its summary.

I adored Avenger too. I just love Felger. To me he's hilarious. And Avenger added a new element - it was poignant too. We saw aspects of Felger's character that took him beyond the comic idiot of TOG to someone who I could sympathise with, who was trying his best, but handicapped by being socially inept while technically brilliant. At times it was almost painful to watch him try to interact with other people and just fail miserably. (Course it was often hilarious too as in the montage scene where he's trying to impress Sam)

The scene on the bridge with Sam is very poignant for me. Gives me a huge lump in my throat every time I watch it.

But of course it's balanced with wonderful comic moments. I just love Jack's sardonic "I'm inspired with confidence..." and "Felger's virus?!" LOL. Too many hilarious bits to mention really.

A great episode and one I revisit often, especially when I'm in need of a laughing jag.

Albion
                        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Many folks have commented favorably on Avenger 2.0 - and the humor in the episode. Although not as humorous as the rest of that episode, I wanted to see what screen caps I could get from that last scene on Ba'al's planet... here's what I came up with... enjoy...

I liked the way that they came through the 'Gate - Sam came through first - the soldier on alert.
                          Felger came through comically, leaving all of the 'protecting duties' to Sam.

I also liked the inside of the DHD - very cool
                          - and it would be cool to see Sam working on one in some Season 9 episode.

And here are the infamous lines....

CARTER: "How's it coming?"
                          FELGER: "We're getting there. It's pretty cool, isn't it? You and I working together? We're sort of like the intellectual Butch and Sundance of the SGC."
                          CARTER: "Butch and Sundance got cornered and killed by the Bolivian army."
                          FELGER: "Yeah...that's a good point, yeah."

Suddenly, Sam sees Jaffa entering the clearing in front of her. She pulls Felger down with her behind some stones.
                          FELGER: (still holding the laptop) "What? What? What? What?"
                          CARTER: "We got trouble."
                          FELGER: "Wh-what kind of trouble? What?"
                          CARTER: "Think Bolivia."

---------------

Look at those shells fly out of the side of that gun!
                          AT went through a *lot* of bullets in these scenes!

Where are those clear-plastic protective eye glasses that they've worn in some of the episodes?
                          *(Now I feel like my mother, sigh)*

And then she has to reload her gun - and in the audio commentary she says that this gun gave her nothing but problems -the props department had literally invented a gun for this episode because they couldn't use the standard P90s that they usually used (they couldn't get ammo as it was all sent to the war in Iraq). AT said that at one point the thing basically exploded on her and the bullets just shot out sideways and she dropped the gun, shouting out something like It's Stargate Barbie and We're All Going To Die! It's amazing to me that she saw it as humorous - I think I would have been scared and then gotten pretty pissed at whoever put that gun together! AT also made a very funny (and sharp) comment that she wished that she had picked up the fallen bullets and started simply throwing them at the Jaffa... ROTFL! Only a comedian would think of such a thing! And the image in my mind is hilarious! Here, take that, you evil Jaffa! (as she flings bullets at them). Handthrown bullets vs. staff weapons...

She also said that the 'ancient stone ruins' were actually lightweight fake props... and she kept knocking them over.... ooops. LOL! I love the fact that AT can laugh at herself!

Col. Carter got to have target practice with the Jaffa in these scenes.
                          Lots of great scenes showing competent Soldier!Sam with her gun on full rock and roll!

And as a final note, Jack brings the calvary to the rescue in the stolen alkesh. I would have really enjoyed having Carter handle things and then when Jack showed up, Carter would have been standing guard over Felger as he finished up. It would have been great for Jack and company to arrive and Carter has it under control - just competent and professional. With a line or two along the lines of... Jack: 'Came to see if you could use some help...but it looks like you've got things under control...' and Carter just shrugs and gives him one of those small, unprepossessing smiles. "Things could change at any time, sir, so your alkesh is more than welcome." "Good job, Carter." Now I don't need to see Carter always handling everything and never needing any help... but I would have enjoyed seeing her handle this one on her own (I think she earned it with what she had to deal with with Felger all episode ), and then get to greet Jack and Co. more as colleagues than as saviours.
                          Photos are screen caps from the episode Avenger 2.0
                          Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Comment

I know alot of people didnt really like this episode but i found this to be interesting. it was a nice break and to see what else goes on in the SGC other then SG1 saving the planet. I do wish they had more daniel, hehe, but oh well. all in all i felt this was a cute storyline.

Comment

While i laughed my head off...i really didn't think the day dreaming thing worked well.

Plus..."gotta crush on carter" line too

it's sooo over done.

Comment

As you can see ::glances at avatar picture (by the way, thanks to whoever said there was one ):: I am in awe of this episode. I am actually going to buy season 7 -- no, I don't have it yet (feel free to laugh if you must) -- just to watch this.

And now to the point: shippiness! There is definitely ship in this episode, so why has no one written a story about these two? I am working on one now (or rather several), and as I share a degree of Chloe's sentiments, it actually comes quite easily. But more stories are needed, if for no other reason than to say to others like me: you are not alone .

BTW: many thanks to all of you who said how much you liked - dare I say loved? - this episode, and most especially, the characters within. I used to think I was the only one who liked this episode, as I formerly used to hang on the Our Stargate forums all the time - major Felger-hating going on there. (From now on, it's definitely here rather than there.)

I apologize for going on and on, but I am really thankful that I am not the only fan of this ep in the world. (I'll post the links to the fics here when they are finished -- someday.) Remember until next time:

Jay and Chloe start with the same letters as Janeway and Chakotay, which must be a good sign.

And now, for a special announcement: I have started a 'Jay & Chloe' thread over at Characters & Relationships. Please check it out!
                                Last edited by startrekempress; 15 April 2005, 11:14 AM. Reason: To update on new thread
                                Call me Sarah . . .
                                • Anti-plaid (pro P.L.A.I.D. )
                                • Songwriter, screencapper, canon shipper, and fan of minor characters
                                • Trek forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X