Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Captain

Default Re: Avenger 2.0 (709)

Originally, during its first run (in a fit of supreme idiocy) I refused to even watch The Other Guys because the idea sounded plain stupid to me. It wasn't until I heard that Avenger 2.0 in S7 featured the same characters that I grudgingly figured I'd best watch it so I knew what the heck Avenger was about.

So what do I know?

I watched TOG and laughed myself into a fit of sore ribs. One of my favourite episodes. Life lesson learned. Never judge an episode by its summary.

I adored Avenger too. I just love Felger. To me he's hilarious. And Avenger added a new element - it was poignant too. We saw aspects of Felger's character that took him beyond the comic idiot of TOG to someone who I could sympathise with, who was trying his best, but handicapped by being socially inept while technically brilliant. At times it was almost painful to watch him try to interact with other people and just fail miserably. (Course it was often hilarious too as in the montage scene where he's trying to impress Sam)

The scene on the bridge with Sam is very poignant for me. Gives me a huge lump in my throat every time I watch it.

But of course it's balanced with wonderful comic moments. I just love Jack's sardonic "I'm inspired with confidence..." and "Felger's virus?!" LOL. Too many hilarious bits to mention really.

A great episode and one I revisit often, especially when I'm in need of a laughing jag.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Major
    second seat in an F-302, guess who's Front Seat? :)

Many folks have commented favorably on Avenger 2.0 - and the humor in the episode. Although not as humorous as the rest of that episode, I wanted to see what screen caps I could get from that last scene on Ba'al's planet... here's what I came up with... enjoy...

I liked the way that they came through the 'Gate - Sam came through first - the soldier on alert.
    Felger came through comically, leaving all of the 'protecting duties' to Sam.

I also liked the inside of the DHD - very cool
    - and it would be cool to see Sam working on one in some Season 9 episode.

And here are the infamous lines....

CARTER: "How's it coming?"
    FELGER: "We're getting there. It's pretty cool, isn't it? You and I working together? We're sort of like the intellectual Butch and Sundance of the SGC."
    CARTER: "Butch and Sundance got cornered and killed by the Bolivian army."
    FELGER: "Yeah...that's a good point, yeah."

Suddenly, Sam sees Jaffa entering the clearing in front of her. She pulls Felger down with her behind some stones.
    FELGER: (still holding the laptop) "What? What? What? What?"
    CARTER: "We got trouble."
    FELGER: "Wh-what kind of trouble? What?"
    CARTER: "Think Bolivia."

---------------

Look at those shells fly out of the side of that gun!
    AT went through a *lot* of bullets in these scenes!

Where are those clear-plastic protective eye glasses that they've worn in some of the episodes?
    *(Now I feel like my mother, sigh)*

And then she has to reload her gun - and in the audio commentary she says that this gun gave her nothing but problems -the props department had literally invented a gun for this episode because they couldn't use the standard P90s that they usually used (they couldn't get ammo as it was all sent to the war in Iraq). AT said that at one point the thing basically exploded on her and the bullets just shot out sideways and she dropped the gun, shouting out something like It's Stargate Barbie and We're All Going To Die! It's amazing to me that she saw it as humorous - I think I would have been scared and then gotten pretty pissed at whoever put that gun together! AT also made a very funny (and sharp) comment that she wished that she had picked up the fallen bullets and started simply throwing them at the Jaffa... ROTFL! Only a comedian would think of such a thing! And the image in my mind is hilarious! Here, take that, you evil Jaffa! (as she flings bullets at them). Handthrown bullets vs. staff weapons...

She also said that the 'ancient stone ruins' were actually lightweight fake props... and she kept knocking them over.... ooops. LOL! I love the fact that AT can laugh at herself!

Col. Carter got to have target practice with the Jaffa in these scenes.
    Lots of great scenes showing competent Soldier!Sam with her gun on full rock and roll!

And as a final note, Jack brings the calvary to the rescue in the stolen alkesh. I would have really enjoyed having Carter handle things and then when Jack showed up, Carter would have been standing guard over Felger as he finished up. It would have been great for Jack and company to arrive and Carter has it under control - just competent and professional. With a line or two along the lines of... Jack: 'Came to see if you could use some help...but it looks like you've got things under control...' and Carter just shrugs and gives him one of those small, unprepossessing smiles. "Things could change at any time, sir, so your alkesh is more than welcome." "Good job, Carter." Now I don't need to see Carter always handling everything and never needing any help... but I would have enjoyed seeing her handle this one on her own (I think she earned it with what she had to deal with with Felger all episode ), and then get to greet Jack and Co. more as colleagues than as saviours.
    Photos are screen caps from the episode Avenger 2.0
    Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

I know alot of people didnt really like this episode but i found this to be interesting. it was a nice break and to see what else goes on in the SGC other then SG1 saving the planet. I do wish they had more daniel, hehe, but oh well. all in all i felt this was a cute storyline.

Riding her scooty throne in the Poking Land

While i laughed my head off...i really didn't think the day dreaming thing worked well.

Plus..."gotta crush on carter" line too

it's sooo over done.

As you can see ::glances at avatar picture (by the way, thanks to whoever said there was one ):: I am in awe of this episode. I am actually going to buy season 7 -- no, I don't have it yet (feel free to laugh if you must) -- just to watch this.

And now to the point: shippiness! There is definitely ship in this episode, so why has no one written a story about these two? I am working on one now (or rather several), and as I share a degree of Chloe's sentiments, it actually comes quite easily. But more stories are needed, if for no other reason than to say to others like me: you are not alone .

BTW: many thanks to all of you who said how much you liked - dare I say loved? - this episode, and most especially, the characters within. I used to think I was the only one who liked this episode, as I formerly used to hang on the Our Stargate forums all the time - major Felger-hating going on there. (From now on, it's definitely here rather than there.)

I apologize for going on and on, but I am really thankful that I am not the only fan of this ep in the world. (I'll post the links to the fics here when they are finished -- someday.) Remember until next time:

Jay and Chloe start with the same letters as Janeway and Chakotay, which must be a good sign.

And now, for a special announcement: I have started a 'Jay & Chloe' thread over at Characters & Relationships. Please check it out!
    Last edited by startrekempress; April 15th, 2005 at 12:14 PM. Reason: To update on new thread

Second Lieutenant ApophisOfTheStargateRealm's Avatar

hilarious episode! i loved the little mad scientist ... i felt bad for him too
    "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

^funny!!!!!

Great Episode, a challange can anyone work out the number of possible combinations to the Stargate? No probably not i think its somewhere in the millions

Quote Originally Posted by S.G.C
    A challange can anyone work out the number of possible combinations to the Stargate?
    Working on it . . .

Anyway. There's something I noticed that I don't think anyone has brought up. As Sam & Jay are walking away from the lab after the weapon thingy screw-up (I think), there are about half-a-dozen signs along the walls in the corridors around the lab.

Dr. J. Felger
    Research
    <------

Granted, they look like pieces of paper printed on a computer. But it still implies some kind of greater consequence to Felger's work. (Meaning, of course, that he really ought to have more than one assistant, though that would lead to extremely severe jealousy on the part of his favorite blonde.) Any thoughts?

Sarah

(BTW: The fic is being written. Really.)

All in all, I liked this episode, Avenger 2.0 had alot of good points in; the ending particular was hilareous! ROTFPML I want to know what they are going to do with the Stargate virus (could they still use it as a viable weapon?), & I want to see some field use on that anti-staff-weapon cavlar vest.

I agree in that the projects he is working would probably warrant closer attention, & that it would be nice to see some more episodes focusing on those people whom work behind the scences @ the SGC; especially now the Goa'uuld are defeated, itwould pose an interesting question of direction for SGC research now the Guuld are no longer a majot threat.

Concerning the signs pointing to Felger's lab - if I remember correctly in the director's cut Amanda and Martin were giggling over the number of signs. It was a bit of a 'send-up' to the fact that Felger probably needed the help to find his lab and not, necessarily, denoting his importance.

Vancouver 2010
    Chicago 2010
    Chicago 2011
    Jack's CSM

I thought this episode was a little weak in several areas. First of all, this seemed, more than any so far, to have really broken up the team aspect. At least in Space Race, Jack & Daniel were meeting with the aliens and Teal'c was helping Carter from the planet. But this, the others were just all stuck off-world, for most of it. Also, I think they really went over the top with making Felger "dumb" or whatever you want to call it. In TOG's he seemed completely competent in his work and was just over zealous in fan worship of SG-1. I too think it would have played better if it also had Coombs. Finally, I do not think they should have introduced the idea that Baal did something to the virus. Their idea up until then, that the DHD's did all the compensating and correlative downloads, was sufficient.

Second Lieutenant ApophisOfTheStargateRealm's Avatar

i saw this episode for the first time with a friend and it sure was akward watching all the Felger imaginations with her...lol
    "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Ohio, USA,Earth. I only work in outer space.

I was ROFLMAO through this ep and IMO it seemed like it was an ep for the comic book geeks out there, no disrepect intended of course.
    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...lcdrskrit1.gif
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/skritsys.jpg
    Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
    Pay it forward

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Avenger 2.0 (709)

None taken.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Nothing can beat the ending of this episode. I mean nothing. Carter wrestling that girl on the floor was awesome. And seeing O'Neill stop Felger from breaking them up, that was just priceless. I wish they'd do another Felger ep. That would be so funny.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Re: Avenger 2.0 (709)

Quote Originally Posted by JacksCSM
    Concerning the signs pointing to Felger's lab - if I remember correctly in the director's cut Amanda and Martin were giggling over the number of signs. It was a bit of a 'send-up' to the fact that Felger probably needed the help to find his lab and not, necessarily, denoting his importance.
    Exactly! The point was that he was so far down the food chain that his lab was in such an obscure location that people needed signs just to find it.

Okay...I admit it. I love Jay Felger. He is so hilarious. Now granted he's not someone I'd want to see every week...but once a season or every other season would be great. Why? Because he's a part of the SG universe kind of like what Martin was talking about...and a hilarious part at that. While SG-1's out there kicking Goa'uld butt, Jay's busy geeking it up in his lab doing who knows what...perhaps perfecting his photon torpedo. Plus...he's SO HILARIOUS! (or did I mention that already???)

I also liked the fact that what happened wasn't Jay's fault...his virus did exactly what it was supposed to do. It was so good of an idea in fact that Ba'al stole it and manipulated it for his purposes.

But what really made Felger so funny was the fact that he was playing off of Sam, who was the straight man in this act...she was Abbott to his Costello. The fact she didn't react to any of his over the top behavior made the whole thing funnier...especially during the visit to his apartment...the Carter doll, the pants on backwards, the SG-1 war kit, the spit take...

And of course it had to end with a silly dream sequence...that's Jay for ya. I think Amanda said she came up with the idea of Sam coming in with the overshirt, otherwise it would give away the fact it was a dream sequence too early.

This one's a keeper in my book and I hope we get to see Jay at least once more before the series finale.
    Last edited by Uber; November 26th, 2005 at 12:28 AM.
    http://www.uberamandafan.com/assets/...ans/ateyes.jpg
    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ejay_angel.jpg

I like Felger with Coombs, so I liked how they worked in a reference to him. Chloe was good too.

Quote Originally Posted by jckfan55
    I like Felger with Coombs, so I liked how they worked in a reference to him. Chloe was good too.
    Felger definitely wasn't as good without Coombs IMHO.
    I did like the Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid line.... ironically, I actually always imagined someone saying that to Crichton on farscape. Ironic now that butch and sundance from farscape are now on stargate.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Quote Originally Posted by AGateFan
    Felger definitely wasn't as good without Coombs IMHO.
    I did like the Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid line.... ironically, I actually always imagined someone saying that to Crichton on farscape. Ironic now that butch and sundance from farscape are now on stargate.
    I'm afraid I must disagree.
    He coped fantastically without Coombs, allowing him to play off of SG1.
    Great comedy

Quote Originally Posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Exactly! .............
    But what really made Felger so funny was the fact that he was playing off of Sam, who was the straight man in this act...she was Abbott to his Costello. The fact she didn't react to any of his over the top behavior made the whole thing funnier...especially during the visit to his apartment...the Carter doll, the pants on backwards, the SG-1 war kit, the spit take...

And of course it had to end with a silly dream sequence...that's Jay for ya. I think Amanda said she came up with the idea of Sam coming in with the overshirt, otherwise it would give away the fact it was a dream sequence too early.

This one's a keeper in my book and I hope we get to see Jay at least once more before the series finale.
    In the immortal words of T: Indeed!
    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Lieutenant Colonel telpethoniel's Avatar

I had my hands over my eyes for quite a bit of this episode It was just so hilariously embarrasing
    "Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand!" Mark Twain (1835-1910)
    "But you see, just because we've been dealt a certain hand doesn't mean we can't choose to rise above it. To conquer the boundaries of a destiny none of us wanted. To try and retain whatever essential humanity we can." ~Edward from Twilight
    Historic Connections Ancient history resources business my Dad runs...go check it out

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast