X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ayiana, Frozen, and Atlantis...questions

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

In "Frozen", the SG-1 team attempts to unravel the mystery of a normal appearing human woman that was found frozen in Antarctica for MILLIONS of years. In that episode, after being thawed, Ayiana, the name given to this woman, learned English quickly (at least how to understand it, not speak it) and was able to heal members of the research team who became infected with a mysterious disease.

Being frozen for millions of years did not appear to have any adverse physiological or psychological effects on Ayiana, but I had some questions that some of you might be able to answer.

1. Why was Ayiana unable (or unwilling) to speak? Was she damaged somehow, or did she simply wish not to reveal any Ancient information to lesser developed humans?

2. Do you think Ayiana was aware that so much time had elapsed since she went to "sleep" in teh ice?

3. About how long was it between Ayiana's moment in "Rising" where she saw the city depart for Pegasus and the time she became "frozen"?

4. Was her sleep voluntary or involuntary?

5. What happened to the male Ancient that was with Ayiana in "Rising"?

6. Did Ayiana know who she was and what happened? Or did she have some form of amnesia?

Okay, now for a few more questions that some of you more enlightened beings might be able to answer:

A. The "Rising" holo-ancient said that after seeding Pegasus and fighting the Wraith, the surviving ancients, the "last of their kind", used the gate to travel back to Earth, their homeworld to live out their remaining lives. If that's true, why didn't they bring technology back with them? If they did bring tech with them, how is it that human civilization became so primitive for so many years? They devolved into morons from geniuses and then slowly progressed over the millenia. How does one go from being a super intelligent ancient high tech being to a low life tribal person hunting and gathering? Why wouldn't they have continued the Ancient culture here on Earth?

B. The Ancients spoke a prototype of Latin of some kind. Did the Ancients that returned to Earth end up living in Italy, thus becoming the Romans?

These questions keep coming up in my head and I just dun know what to think. Can someone help me sort this stuff out and give me some insight?

Originally posted by LordAnubis
    POSSIBLE SPOILERS for Frozen and Stargate Atlantis Rising

In "Frozen", the SG-1 team attempts to unravel the mystery of a normal appearing human woman that was found frozen in Antarctica for MILLIONS of years. In that episode, after being thawed, Ayiana, the name given to this woman, learned English quickly (at least how to understand it, not speak it) and was able to heal members of the research team who became infected with a mysterious disease.

Being frozen for millions of years did not appear to have any adverse physiological or psychological effects on Ayiana, but I had some questions that some of you might be able to answer.

1. Why was Ayiana unable (or unwilling) to speak? Was she damaged somehow, or did she simply wish not to reveal any Ancient information to lesser developed humans?
    So most of these answers are my own assumtions and NOT canon, but are based on facts. Anyway, I don't know, maybe she wasn't quite feeling herself, maybe she can't speak at all (a mute) We obviously have seen Ancients speak before, but I'm not exaclt sure why Ayiana couldn't talk. Notice she didn't speak in Rising either, but then again, maybe no words had to be spoken. (Side Note: Supposedly the original script had dialogue in that beginning scene of Rising)

2. Do you think Ayiana was aware that so much time had elapsed since she went to "sleep" in teh ice?
    Not canon, but I do not think she knew how long she was Frozen, just that it was a very long time.

3. About how long was it between Ayiana's moment in "Rising" where she saw the city depart for Pegasus and the time she became "frozen"?
    I don't know, a few years, a couple decades at best, if the Ancients have a long life span. I would day they don't live that long, maybe a couple centuries at best.

Again, not canon, but I would say no. If she wanted to freeze herself, why not use the device Jack used to freeze himself. I think it was accidental, got coverred with ice, fell down crack, slight quake shifted the ice. Antarctica seemed to be turning from green to ice at this time.

I think he left with Atlantis.

6. Did Ayiana know who she was and what happened? Or did she have some form of amnesia?
    Good question, I think she knew who she was, but maybe she did suffer from a form of amnesia, maybe that's partly why she couldn't talk. I don't know.

Okay, now for a few more questions that some of you more enlightened beings might be able to answer:

A. The "Rising" holo-ancient said that after seeding Pegasus and fighting the Wraith, the surviving ancients, the "last of their kind", used the gate to travel back to Earth, their homeworld to live out their remaining lives. If that's true, why didn't they bring technology back with them? If they did bring tech with them, how is it that human civilization became so primitive for so many years? They devolved into morons from geniuses and then slowly progressed over the millenia. How does one go from being a super intelligent ancient high tech being to a low life tribal person hunting and gathering? Why wouldn't they have continued the Ancient culture here on Earth?
    There are some threads on this, I won't give you the whole thing but basically this is it. We are not direct descendants of the Ancients. We're like the life they seeded across the Pegasus galaxy. We may have been seeded first, but the Ancients manipulated evolutionary DNA and/or started their own vers 2 of themselves from scratch. When the fled back from the Wraith, they took tech with them, but it wasn't for our benefit, it was for theirs. I think the whole alliance of four races was after they returned to Earth. I think they used their tech to try and rebuild their civilization. Then they got sick/started dying out and finally ascended to a higher plane of existance. Below is the link to a thread with my theory on the Ancients and other people's as well.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2212
    B. The Ancients spoke a prototype of Latin of some kind. Did the Ancients that returned to Earth end up living in Italy, thus becoming the Romans?
    Maybe some Ancients stayed behind, I don't know. Maybe the ascended Ancients helped them, prior to the rules being set. I always thought as Latin being too young to fit in with the Ancients being alive, but maybe Ancient spawned an older language which was replaced by Latin but was lost in the anals of history.

These questions keep coming up in my head and I just dun know what to think. Can someone help me sort this stuff out and give me some insight?

Keep them coming, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

My theory:
      She was still shaken from the events before the freezing.
      No.
      Give or take few hundred years. Nox can live hundreds of years so I assume an Ancient can live much longer.
      Voluntary, she gave up on life when she receive the sad news.
      He died in the War.
      Oh she knows... After she was notified of the male Ancient's demise, she was struck with sadness. She walks out of the outpost with no wish of ever coming back...
      How does one go from being a super intelligent ancient high tech being to a low life tribal person hunting and gathering? Why wouldn't they have continued the Ancient culture here on Earth?
      After the war, the Ancients lost all their motivation to seed the galaxy. They live depressed, in isolation. They become reluctant to share and exchange technologies. A minority of the Ancients continues to teach, and impart valuable knowledge, living amongst the humans till the last of their days.
      They might, but knowing the Ancients they would rather be inspirations then to have an active part shaping a nation.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

Sadly, the real answer to all of these questions is: 'We don't really know.' All we can do it speculate... But then, we don't seem to be having any trouble doing just that.
        Originally posted by VirtualCLD
        Anyway, I don't know, maybe she wasn't quite feeling herself, maybe she can't speak at all (a mute)
        She could speak... Cause she did. She said the word 'amazing'. So, not a mute.
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
          Sadly, the real answer to all of these questions is: 'We don't really know.' All we can do it speculate... But then, we don't seem to be having any trouble doing just that.

She could speak... Cause she did. She said the word 'amazing'. So, not a mute.
          I stand corrected then, she could speak. I wonder why it took her so long.

Comment

i believe they did say even though her physical abilities returned quickly her mental abilities would still take more time to return, which si why she couldnt speak. The guy she was with went to Pegasus and either died i nthe war or died of old age. Im not sure abotu alot of the rest cvause im tired and dont feel like answering,.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

i'm guessing that being in stasis/frozen for that long of a time would have some sort of effect on memory and or communication control. Even if she was an Ancient, no ones perfect.

Comment

Ayiana didn't speak much because the ancients were empathic. They could converse by just thinking to one another.

If you pay attention to that episode, you'll see that most of what Jonas says, Ayiana understands, she just can't reply to him because she doesn't understand the words he's connecting to the thoughts he's having. The Nox had the same problem, but they learned how to speak english quickly enough. Ayiana could have probably done the same if she had lived longer.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

- When I saw that, I remembered when Jack has the Ancients downloaded information into his head. Maybe there was something similar there.

- I would guess not, although I bet she would have guessed it rather quickly.

- Haven't seen Atlantis so I don't know.

- I'd guess involuntary. Why would anyone want to get frozen like that? Of course, she could have remained behind voluntarily in order to contain her disease.

- See above answer.

- She seemed to remember that she could heal people. She may not have been able to communicate it.
                  A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

Why did Ayiana not look really old like Dr Weir did after coming out of "sleep" in "Before I Sleep"?

Comment

Originally posted by chanvw
                      Why did Ayiana not look really old like Dr Weir did after coming out of "sleep" in "Before I Sleep"?
                      Because she was an Ancient and Weir was not.

Comment

Originally posted by chanvw
                        Originally posted by Major Fischer
                        Because she was an Ancient and Weir was not.
                        Actually, Ayiana was ~23-27 years old, while Weir was ~84 years old.
                        1. Was Ayiana supposed to have been left behind, or was she injured while walking to the stargate?
                        2. Was Ayiana actually infected with the plague, or was it just a 6-million-year-old strain of the flu?
                        Last edited by Schrodinger's Cat; 20 March 2005, 02:43 AM.
                        Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

From what we've learned this year it seems that the Atlantis Ancients returned to Earth and found our 'generation' of humans had evolved in the five million or so years that they'd been away. Some of them obviously left Earth (It's Good to Be King; Before I Sleep spoilers)
                          Spoiler:
                          as evidenced by the Timeship SG-1 found, presumably built by Janus
                          , but others must have stayed and intermingled with us, giving rise to modern Latin, the myth of Atlantis, and of course, the Ancient gene.

I would guess this happened prior to Ra arriving, but who knows. Fleeing from the Wraith and showing up on Goa'uld-occupied Earth might have taken them completely by surprise and they were forced into hiding with 'regular' humans, but I'd hope that the Ancients could have dealt with the snakeheads.

Comment

Was Ayiana supposed to have been left behind, or was she injured while walking to the stargate?
                            It appears in the beginning of Atlantis that she either voluntarily stays behind, or is telepathically asked to stay behind in the scene with the other ancients, or was verbally asked to stay behind and we just don't see it (probably that last one). In any case, she parts ways with some guy, Atlantis blasts off, she remains, looking forlorn.

Was Ayiana actually infected with the plague, or was it just a 6-million-year-old strain of the flu?
                            I was under the assumption she was infected with the same plague that forced the Ancients to leave our galaxy behind and move to Pegasus? Though the Omnipedia here seems to state that when the plague thing happened they in fact did mass-ascension.

In which case (my turn for questions) why did they leave for Atlantis?
                            Did they learn how to ascend while over there (with that black cloud-like creature) and then give it a whirl once they came back to our galaxy?
                            Once they returned from Atlantis, why did they not look up poor old Ayiana, left behind so many millions of years earlier?

(P.S. My first serious post in this forum, so please forgive if I've asked something other people have already asked. Why this thread to start with? Well, there seems to be a heap of fan threads for Daniel, Carter, O'Neill etc - but none for Ayiana/Ona Gauer. She did a remarkable job in Frozen, all with hardly any dialogue. Plus she's majorly attractive)

Comment

it looked like the black ancient was mad at her. and then atlantis left earth. next thing u know, she is thawed out by frasier and carter several million years later... i think she did something bad and was left behind. maybe she had something to do with the plague in our galaxy. maybe that was what made everyone sick once they thawed her. they speculated that that might have been the plague that hurt the ancients in the past. their speculation is usually right... although i wish they hadnt speculated that she was prob living on borrowed time to begin with...

O! i just thought of something- if that was the plague they mentioned... and canan was able to heal oniel... maybe the ancients created the goauld for healing purposes? or had something to do with their evolution...

o and off the top of my head... she could speak, but it seemed like she couldnt say complex stuff. just stuff like "ah-may-zing"... haha i say that sometimes. maybe her body survived, but she got brain damage from being frozen. although she had an amazing intellect if she could understand english in a couple hours... maybe she did remember, she just didnt wanna tell anyone because she was worried about interfering with a primitive culture.

couple comments- i love frasier, but i cant believe her team moved her after semi thawing her... i was worried they might snap her... haha
                              and her clothes suggests that something happened between the time atlantis left earth and she got frozen. maybe she had to hide her identity when the goauld came?

Comment

Working...
                              X