New Trek Film announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Trek Film announcement

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=125

Comment

Star Trek.com has the announcement.....

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/15891.html

BREAKING NEWS: J.J. Abrams to Produce "Trek XI"

J.J. Abrams, producer of hit shows Lost and Alias, as well as director of the upcomming Paramount film "Mission: Impossible III," is slated to produce the next Star Trek feature, according to today's Daily Variety.
      Although the official Paramount press release should follow shortly, word about the Abrams project surfaced this morning in the daily trade paper. He will be writing the script with Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci who penned "MI: III." Although Abrams is not yet confirmed to direct the project, he isn't ruling it out either....

Comment

well thats something.
        sigpic
        Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

More Kirk and Spock?!? Can we please get back to the 24th century. What happened to Cardassia?
          Oh well, I'll judge when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
            More Kirk and Spock?!? Can we please get back to the 24th century. What happened to Cardassia?
            Oh well, I'll judge when I see it.
            guess we all will
            sigpic

Comment

Anyone else as shocked as I was when they read this? Certainly seemed to come out of the blue. After all the other rumours I dismissed it as another one at first.

Comment

yeah its alittle shocking
                sigpic

Comment

why?

the franchise needs a break. not just from tv but from the screen as well.
                  Thanks!
                  Jordan

my page
                  My LJ
                  From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
                    why?

the franchise needs a break. not just from tv but from the screen as well.
                    By the time the movie comes out it will have been over three years since Enterprise ended.....That's gotta be the longest break since between TOS and ST:TMP (correct me if I'm wrong).
                    Couldn't really expect Paramount to sit on Trek for ages when there's money to be made.....
                    And Berman's not involved. New creative minds behind it, so I'm all go for it, and if I'm disappointed, I'm disappointed, but I'll remain optimistic for now.
                    Although the whole Kirk/Spock story hasn't sunk in yet, but I'll put a little faith in these new PTB.

Comment

Any rumours on what it will be about?

This is fracking great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put a smile on my face for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Major Zoidberg
                        Any rumours on what it will be about?

This is fracking great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put a smile on my face for sure
                        Aside from young Kirk and Spock and their first mission and the acadamy, no.
                        I do agree that it's fracking great news. I want a new Trek movie. Too long of a break would be too long, but three years sounds pretty much right (I had guessed five).

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                          Aside from young Kirk and Spock and their first mission and the acadamy, no.
                          I do agree that it's fracking great news. I want a new Trek movie. Too long of a break would be too long, but three years sounds pretty much right (I had guessed five).
                          Then I hope those rumors aren't true...do I want Star Trek XI...yes.
                          Do I want more Kirk/Spock/McCoy... If they 'have' to some kind of Academy movie, why not do about some other characters ?

I'd love to see Picard in his early years (Stargazer maybe), or maybe something about 1701-B or 1701-C...but the oldies, no thank you.
                          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Those stupid *******s! When are they going to learn that prequels dont work! It doesn't matter what happens in the movie, you already know how its going to turn out because you have seen the whole future of the characters! The Star Trek movies are supposed to be about huge enourmous threats to the continued existence of the Federation! Not prequels! Not stupid isolated events that have no bearing on the rest of the galaxy like Insurection! Not single character centric stories like Nemisis! They need to move the story line of the Federation forward! Who cares about Kirk and Spock's first mission in space? We know that whatever it was they succeeded! That they both survived! There is no drama! The Trek franchise is severly wounded right now after Insurecction, Nemisis and Enterprise! It can not afford another flop. When this movie flops there will be no hope of the Trek franchise reviving, ever!

Comment

Don't judge a movie before you see it.....

I'm not saying it's going to be good, not saying it's going to be bad, I'm just staying optimistic. Let Abrams do his thing. Trek needs new creative minds, and that's what Trek got.

Anyway, a lot will depend on who gets cast, and it'll be a long while before that happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X