Space Race (708)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jyh
    Hey, I thought the "commentaries" were hilarious! Anyone who's seen a Nascar or Indy race on TV can appreciate the dead-on similarities. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the Tech-Con company, which seemingly owns & runs everything on the planet. The company's product commercials were as hilarious as the newscasts. "Don't let your kids get burned to death from exposure to the sun; slather Tech-Con SunShade on them to protect their skin from painful welts and fatal necrosis." (Yeah, look it up.)

This episode may not have furthered the long plot-line with the Goa'uld, but don't forget folks, it's a big galaxy, and occasionally the SG teams run into non-Goa'uld civilizations. We're explorers, after all, and the more allies we can meet & technologies we can share can only help us in the long run.
    I loved the newscasters. Most people I speak to though, just seem to find them annoying.

I think that this is one of my favourite season 7 eps. Largely because of the humour, but also because there is almost a team atmosphere about it, which is lacking in a lot of seasopn 7. I know that Sam spends most of the episode competing in the race, but there are some great moments before she goes: Jack and Sam's brief exchange over the language of the instruction manual and Teal'c sucessfully getting out of going to the diplomatic meetings, followed by Sam's "Indeed", to Teal'c's "I am in your debt, Major Carter."
    always and forever
    My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
    My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

steal the cerberus add a asguard hyperdrive you got yourself one fast ride

Comment

ql episode, i've just watched it again and i liked it (again)
        Indeed!

Comment

it was a ok epsiode could of had a better beginning
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by scjon
            I loved the newscasters. Most people I speak to though, just seem to find them annoying.

I think that this is one of my favourite season 7 eps. Largely because of the humour, but also because there is almost a team atmosphere about it, which is lacking in a lot of seasopn 7. I know that Sam spends most of the episode competing in the race, but there are some great moments before she goes: Jack and Sam's brief exchange over the language of the instruction manual and Teal'c sucessfully getting out of going to the diplomatic meetings, followed by Sam's "Indeed", to Teal'c's "I am in your debt, Major Carter."
            I liked the beginning of the ep quite a lot, up until the actual race, which I found rather dull. Part of that was because I felt no sense of speed or danger within the ship that one would expect in such a race. The other part was the interior ship design, discussed on the DVD commentaries as being not what they expected and not working as well as they would have liked. The newscasters were amusing, to a point, but IMO took up too much of the show for what they contributed.

Comment

i liked space race! and not just because i adore sam carter.

i thought it was fun and funny. i especially liked those newcasters, who reminded me of the fake newcasters on the disneyland 'space mountain' ride.

it wasn't the greatest ep ever, but sure was better than the hits this ep gets.

am i the only one that enjoyed this ep?

speak up!!

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                i liked space race! and not just because i adore sam carter.

i thought it was fun and funny. i especially liked those newcasters, who reminded me of the fake newcasters on the disneyland 'space mountain' ride.

it wasn't the greatest ep ever, but sure was better than the hits this ep gets.

am i the only one that enjoyed this ep?

speak up!!

sally
                No you are not the only one who liked that ep. I really enjoyed it. I mean ok there is a lot of Sam in it... but that is not all. I mean it is just a funny ep. the guy who is doing the news is just to funny and the ads in between are hilarious.
                then there are some really funny quotes. And some really cool scenes.
                *when daniel and sam are in her lab and she is trying not to say that she really likes races and that it is all for gaining technology
                * the scene were Carter reads the manual and Jack says that that isn't english
                *the scene with the phone... when daniel and jack try to enter the company
                *the scene when they find teal'c and jack
                *and the end when sam says that she finds it unfair that they didn't win. she really likes competition

Comment

I liked the episode. Not fantastic, but a fun little episode. Well, didn't care for the sportscasters, but other than that, I had fun watching it.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

*when daniel and sam are in her lab and she is trying not to say that she really likes races and that it is all for gaining technology
                    * the scene were Carter reads the manual and Jack says that that isn't english
                    *the scene with the phone... when daniel and jack try to enter the company
                    *the scene when they find teal'c and jack
                    *and the end when sam says that she finds it unfair that they didn't win. she really likes competition
                    That pretty much sums up my favourite scenes in this one. I'd add the bit where Teal'c lies to Jack to get out of going on the tour. Everyone's reactions there are wonderful, especially Sam's interaction with Teal'c, which is very cute.

Space Race is one of those episodes that never leaps to mind when I'm thinking of which episode I'd like to watch next. But which I usually enjoy when I watch it.

Also loved the second alien. The brother? Cousin? Whatever. His sarcastic asides were hilarious.

I loathe the commentators though. Haven't ever watched this episode where I haven't fast forwarded straight over them. I guess it's a culture thing. If I came from the US or watched US-style sports programmes and was used to the style perhaps they wouldn't grate so much. But since I'm not and don't they just strike me a embarrassingly cheesy and I cringe whenever they appear.

And I did find a lot of the actual race itself a little boring and too predictable. Also, been there, done that - it was pretty cliched as a plot.

Fun episode on the whole though. Not in my top A-class list that I watch over and over, but not a dud either.

Albion
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I just watched it last night, and I thought that it was a very cute episode. I did say out loud that it was "cute", and my husband agreed with me. We both enjoyed the commentators and laughed at all their advertisements. I agree with everyone that this episode had a few good interactions with the cast. My fave quote is the one that Jack says "This isn't English"..and Sam goes "I know, its mine".. I love that quote and the face that Jack gives! I give it a 7 out of 10...
                      Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

This wasn't a Stargate Ep, it was more of a Star Trek ep so I was sort of disappionted.
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

i thought this ep was great

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                            i thought this ep was great
                            Oh yeah! I just wish they would expand the story to include them again. They also said the Serrakin were going to give us an ion drive to study. Wonder what came of that.
                            "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                            The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Hated this episode and thats really rare for me. The one episode of Stargate I couldn't sit through.

Maybe I'll watch it again one of these days and hopefully change my mind cause I liked the idea of a space race.
                              sigpic
                              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I just want to say how much i LOve this episode! I know a few people don't think it which i really don'tr understand as its a race in space with aliens, excellent CGI and cool characters.

The Astaroid feiulds looked amazing and so did the City and news reports.
                                Also i loved the Frasier/niles like personalities of Warrick and his brother.

Finally its good to see some actual aliens that look like aliens on stargate.
                                Spoiler:
                                Rest in piece Serrakins
                                sigpic
                                Banner Made By Me for Me
                                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X