Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant OrangeShipper's Avatar

Default Re: Space Race (708)

Ah, I liked this episode! It was nice to have a more light-hearted one for a change - S7s been a little dark for me lately, (Im watching it for the first time) and I'm getting a bit tired of it. So this was a nice relief!

The only thing I didnt like was that it went a little OTT, and a bit cheesy in places. It was great to see Sam having a fun ep, but stuff like "Whats a girl to do?" just seemed a bit false and trying too hard.. But maybe thats just me. Despite this though, the effects were stunning, and I did really like it!
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...ngeShipper.jpg Sig by SamJackShipLover, thank you!!

"The Titanic lies in 13,000 feet of water on a gently sloping alpinelike countryside overlooking a small canyon below. Its bow faces north and the ship sits upright on the bottom. There is no light at this great depth and little life can be found. It is a quiet and peaceful and fitting place for the remains of this greatest of sea tradgedies to rest. May it forever remain that way and may God bless these found souls." - Robert D. Ballard, 1985.

At the end of this episode, I found myself asking the question: "what was the point?". I mean I did enjoy the episode in places, and I totally see the need for "fillers", but I don't really feel this had anything a good filler should have, like character development. Also it wasn't really a very original story (Star Wars pod-racers anyone?).

One thing I did like was that Sam and Warrick didn't win; it would have been far too obvious if they had. The scenes in the studio with the reporter and the previous winner were funny at first but got old quickly. If episodes are not going to have much relevance on future episodes, then they need to have a strong story within themselves, like Revisions. This episode lacked that, and if it had I think it could have been a lot more successful.
    Last edited by Celsius; May 14th, 2005 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Name mixup

Stargate SG-1 Survivor - Season 2

Gateworld's Next Top Artist (NEW!)

B'elanna: This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos...

i thought it was a fun ep

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Space Race (708)

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis345
    i thought it was a fun ep
    Which is really all it was supposed to be.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Lieutenant Colonel

Chevron Re: Space Race (708)

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius
    At the end of this episode, I found myself asking the question: "what was the point?". I mean I did enjoy the episode in places, and I totally see the need for "fillers", but I don't really feel this had anything a good filler should have, like character development. Also it wasn't really a very original story (Star Wars pod-racers anyone?).

One thing I did like was that Sam and Murray didn't win; it would have been far too obvious if they had. The scenes in the studio with the reporter and the previous winner were funny at first but got old quickly. If episodes are not going to have much relevance on future episodes, then they need to have a strong story within themselves, like Revisions. This episode lacked that, and if it had I think it could have been a lot more successful.
    Just a few minor points. Murray was the name Teal'C used in that episode ( as he has in other episodes). Warrick, played by Alex Zahara, all time winner of the SG I Play an Alien Contest, was the captain of the Seberus, the ship he and Sam were flying in the race.

Overall, I thought it was one of the weakest of the season 7 episodes. It had a few good moments, but over all, it boardered on boring. Just my very lame opinion....
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Thanks for pointing that out Lida

I was watching the commentary today and another point struck me: this is probably the most laid-back race I've ever seen. I mean there was no real sense of urgency, until the end. Maybe that wasn't the point, but I think the pacing of the episode suffered because of it.

Stargate SG-1 Survivor - Season 2

Gateworld's Next Top Artist (NEW!)

B'elanna: This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos...

Thumbs up Re: Space Race (708)

I liked the episode. So far all other episodes involved race's that where either more or less advance than the humans of earth. Whats more, all the other races are pritty much human (with exceptions). It showed there was race/ planet out there that shared similarities and difference with that of earth (i.e. similarities = corporate advertisement on a grand scale; difference = 2 alien races living within the same culture)

I thought the episode was fresh

Lieutenant Colonel

Post Re: Space Race (708)

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius
    Thanks for pointing that out Lida

I was watching the commentary today and another point struck me: this is probably the most laid-back race I've ever seen. I mean there was no real sense of urgency, until the end. Maybe that wasn't the point, but I think the pacing of the episode suffered because of it.
    Good point Celsuius, the "pacing" of the race was rather slow and I agree, the overall pacing of the show did suffer because of it. You would think, since the prize was so lucrative, they would be gunning it to the finish line. I realize it wasn't just a test of speed, but also piloting skills and intelligence, but in the end, the winner was the one who crossed the finish line first.

What I did enjoy enjoy about the show, was the social commentary TPTB brought in, about race. I realize SG-1 is "just" SciFi, but I do enjoy it more because of the moral issues they do address and in Space Race, race and racial intolerance was one of them.

Just my opinion.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

I enjoyed the team interaction in this ep brief as it was as for the other aspects it was okish. The news casts were just fillers added after cos the episode ran short if my memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Verona
    I enjoyed the team interaction in this ep brief as it was as for the other aspects it was okish. The news casts were just fillers added after cos the episode ran short if my memory serves.

Hey, I thought the "commentaries" were hilarious! Anyone who's seen a Nascar or Indy race on TV can appreciate the dead-on similarities. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the Tech-Con company, which seemingly owns & runs everything on the planet. The company's product commercials were as hilarious as the newscasts. "Don't let your kids get burned to death from exposure to the sun; slather Tech-Con SunShade on them to protect their skin from painful welts and fatal necrosis." (Yeah, look it up.)

This episode may not have furthered the long plot-line with the Goa'uld, but don't forget folks, it's a big galaxy, and occasionally the SG teams run into non-Goa'uld civilizations. We're explorers, after all, and the more allies we can meet & technologies we can share can only help us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jyh
    Hey, I thought the "commentaries" were hilarious! Anyone who's seen a Nascar or Indy race on TV can appreciate the dead-on similarities. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the Tech-Con company, which seemingly owns & runs everything on the planet. The company's product commercials were as hilarious as the newscasts. "Don't let your kids get burned to death from exposure to the sun; slather Tech-Con SunShade on them to protect their skin from painful welts and fatal necrosis." (Yeah, look it up.)

This episode may not have furthered the long plot-line with the Goa'uld, but don't forget folks, it's a big galaxy, and occasionally the SG teams run into non-Goa'uld civilizations. We're explorers, after all, and the more allies we can meet & technologies we can share can only help us in the long run.
    I completely agree. I thought it was a great laugh, people just need to take the episode for what it is, some fun. As I said before it was a fresh episode.

loved the episode , Season 7 just keeps getting better!!

I liked it, even though it was kind of a filler episode.

First Lieutenant

i really liked tjhe funny adverts and the commentary but sam said she wud win next time i hope we see the next time maybe the ori hav arrived on hebridan so sg1 go back with the puddle jumper once theyve dealt with the prior sam and mitchell enter the race

Ohio, USA,Earth. I only work in outer space.

IMO, this was an ok one off, it was definitely cheesy and funny.
    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...lcdrskrit1.gif
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/skritsys.jpg
    Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
    Pay it forward

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Space Race (708)

I think that's what it was aiming for. No seriousness whatsoever, just a fun episode for Sam.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Chief Master Sergeant andrelage's Avatar

for some reason they never showed this episode in the uk

They did - you must just have missed it!

Chief Master Sergeant andrelage's Avatar

yeah probably thats why i've bought the dvd im waiting for it to arrive

TV Re: Space Race (708)

it never aired in the uks 6pm re runs damm that was how i kept up as i only started watching from s8

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast