Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it interesting that this thread was started, when I was JUST thinking about this very thing. I am actualy waiting for the ancients language to be compleatly decifered (still missing 3 letters), before I get it done.

I realy like the POO ideas, I think any true SG fan would admire that, but my idea blends a couple of my pations in life. I want to get some "Ancient" around my wrists (kind of like those people do with the barbwire around there arms). I was thinking since I am such a HUGE stargate fan, and I realy like to believe in the ideals of life (freedom, liberty, etc), and since I think (hasnt exactly been proven yet) that the ancients also stood for these things. I was thinking about getting

"May these wrists never be unjustly bound" (Being that it would be wound around both wrists, it kind of has a "feel" to it).
    But I would want that one in latin (closest thing we have to ancient). What do you all think? Ofcouse I am also considering

"In the middle of my BACKSWING"
    Mainly because I find it just plain funny, which I think matches my personality a little better, but dosnt have as deep of a meaning. What do you all think about that one as well?

Corpushominisanimusaltus

Bodyofamansoulofanancient

Comment

Originally posted by Gategirl
      Funny this subject came up...I was just thinking about this recently. I don't have any tats but I've always thought about getting one. It's just hard to find something that you can live with forever. So I understand everyones concerns. But you know what?... I really think that I could live with PoO on my lower back FOREVER! I just wonder what my husband and children would think? LOL
      LOL! Funny you should mention this.... I might have done exactly this on the weekend... It's a PoO on my lower back, and to quote Urgo "Verrry tiiiny!"
      Course, I'm having a devil of a time keeping it "secret" cos I swim 3-4 times a week, which is a bit of a no no right now, and my roomate is curious....

I can show you at the Chicago con if you want.

I plan to tell people its a glyph representing "home", people think I'm bonkers enough without me telling them I have a symbol from a TV show tattooed on my back (not that I pay too much attention to what other people think - but this tattoo is just for me, compared to the one on my ankle which is for public consumption!). It's very emotionally resonant for me, cos I'm living half way round the planet from my home, but having been here 6 years and built up a family here it'll be very hard to leave (hence it represents both my native home and my adopted home!).

Comment

Originally posted by gamebeavis
        I find it interesting that this thread was started, when I was JUST thinking about this very thing. I am actualy waiting for the ancients language to be compleatly decifered (still missing 3 letters), before I get it done.

I realy like the POO ideas, I think any true SG fan would admire that, but my idea blends a couple of my pations in life. I want to get some "Ancient" around my wrists (kind of like those people do with the barbwire around there arms). I was thinking since I am such a HUGE stargate fan, and I realy like to believe in the ideals of life (freedom, liberty, etc), and since I think (hasnt exactly been proven yet) that the ancients also stood for these things. I was thinking about getting

"May these wrists never be unjustly bound" (Being that it would be wound around both wrists, it kind of has a "feel" to it).
        But I would want that one in latin (closest thing we have to ancient). What do you all think? Ofcouse I am also considering

"In the middle of my BACKSWING"
        Mainly because I find it just plain funny, which I think matches my personality a little better, but dosnt have as deep of a meaning. What do you all think about that one as well?
        I like the "May these wrists never be unjustly bound" one personally.
        May I just suggest you think long and hard about getting something so permanent in such a prominent place. I'm not trying to talk you out of anything (which would be a bit rich since I now have TWO tattooes!), but just keep in mind that your wrist is a very public place, and will be difficult to cover up for job interviews etc in the future (of course, I know nothing about you, except for the Stargate addiction of course! ). I like that I can cover my exposed one (ankle) with a small band aid, and under stocking it wouldn't be visible (if I want to of course, I'm really quite proud of it, even after 4 years!).
        Anyway, it's your life, and your body!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
          LOL! Funny you should mention this.... I might have done exactly this on the weekend... It's a PoO on my lower back, and to quote Urgo "Verrry tiiiny!"
          Course, I'm having a devil of a time keeping it "secret" cos I swim 3-4 times a week, which is a bit of a no no right now, and my roomate is curious....

I can show you at the Chicago con if you want.

I plan to tell people its a glyph representing "home", people think I'm bonkers enough without me telling them I have a symbol from a TV show tattooed on my back (not that I pay too much attention to what other people think - but this tattoo is just for me, compared to the one on my ankle which is for public consumption!). It's very emotionally resonant for me, cos I'm living half way round the planet from my home, but having been here 6 years and built up a family here it'll be very hard to leave (hence it represents both my native home and my adopted home!).
          Kiwigater!!
          You actually got the PoO tattoo!
          I read your post in the S/J shipper thread and I had to come over here to comment on it! I think the reason you gave for it was very good and its great that it means something to you other than Stargate...not that it just being Stargate is bad of course

I found out that my friend has a temporary tattoo kit with a tattoo pen and i'm going round her house this friday so i'm going to make her draw me a PoO tattoo with the pen thing she has
          Its the closest thing to a real tattoo as I can get for now

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

Awsome kiwigator! That would be great! To meet you at the con that is!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_o_Neill
              Kiwigater!!
              You actually got the PoO tattoo!
              I read your post in the S/J shipper thread and I had to come over here to comment on it! I think the reason you gave for it was very good and its great that it means something to you other than Stargate...not that it just being Stargate is bad of course

I found out that my friend has a temporary tattoo kit with a tattoo pen and i'm going round her house this friday so i'm going to make her draw me a PoO tattoo with the pen thing she has
              Its the closest thing to a real tattoo as I can get for now
              I sure did!
              Thanks for the lovely positive response
              Yes, I do believe you should stick to temp tattooes for now (being 15 and all!). Try lots of stuff (er, as in tattooes ) and see how you feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gategirl
                Awsome kiwigator! That would be great! To meet you at the con that is!
                Coolness!
                We can sort out plans closer to the date (and in the other thread ).

Comment

First of all, after reading all these posts, maybe it's a good thing I didn't get the PoO... wouldn't want something common!

May I just suggest you think long and hard about getting something so permanent in such a prominent place.
                  I was actually going to say the same thing. I work in good old corporate America and while I am aware from social interaction that a fair number of my co-workers have tattoos as do I, we all have them in spots that cannot be seen when wearing work-appropriate clothing (except for a couple of people w/small ankle tats). From my former recruiting days, I can tell you we never considered anyone w/tattoos in such a visible place.

Comment

Originally posted by joshing123
                    First of all, after reading all these posts, maybe it's a good thing I didn't get the PoO... wouldn't want something common!
                    No!, we wouldn't want that!!!
                    I'm sure that it's pretty common amongst Stargate people who get tattoos, but that's because its small ( ), and unique to the show. And for me, it encompasses a whole realm of things not specifically associated with the Stargate
                    I considered something in ancient, but that would have been much bigger, and what on earth would I have it say that would still be applicable in 20 years or so??

I was actually going to say the same thing. I work in good old corporate America and while I am aware from social interaction that a fair number of my co-workers have tattoos as do I, we all have them in spots that cannot be seen when wearing work-appropriate clothing (except for a couple of people w/small ankle tats). From my former recruiting days, I can tell you we never considered anyone w/tattoos in such a visible place.
                    Yes, always something to keep in mind. You don't want to go to shake a prospective employers hand and have them ask about the tattooes (well, you might, I guess! *shrugs*).

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                      The eye of Ra is a part of the eye of Horus.

Personally I'm thinking about 4-5 tatoos. All sci-fi related.
                      The eye or Ra is not a part of the eye of Horas... Ra is the right eye and Horus is the left eye

Comment

Yes, always something to keep in mind. You don't want to go to shake a prospective employers hand and have them ask about the tattooes (well, you might, I guess! *shrugs*).

As in my case, I'd never go to a job interview with a short sleeve shirt on to begin with, so my *marking* wouldn't show. And I would be more than happy to explain the meaning of the tattoo, what it means to me and why it makes me smile every time it catches my (or someone else's) eye. I figure if an employer can't see that some people, who are good/loyal workers, might happen to have a tattoo, than I don't need them. I want people to see me for me, not for the stereotype that Americans have placed on those who are tattooed.
                        Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
                          As in my case, I'd never go to a job interview with a short sleeve shirt on to begin with, so my *marking* wouldn't show. And I would be more than happy to explain the meaning of the tattoo, what it means to me and why it makes me smile every time it catches my (or someone else's) eye. I figure if an employer can't see that some people, who are good/loyal workers, might happen to have a tattoo, than I don't need them. I want people to see me for me, not for the stereotype that Americans have placed on those who are tattooed.

Whoa there.. I know I said corporate America, but that was just an expression.. it's true of many nationalities. Many people do have false beliefs of what it means to be tattooed, but you know what... they're not always wrong. Plus some people out there have ugly tattoos of naked women, knives, skulls etc. Sorry, but I don't want to go into a hospital and see my nurse with that. Or go into a board room and some guy has a cross on his neck. It's not professional... just like going into an interview w/short sleeves isn't.

You say you don't need them, but the reality is they could care less about you because there are 1000 more in line. Sadly it's (general) you who is more likely to lose in the end. Things may change in 20 years but for right now the cold hard reality is if you want a good job, minimize the visible tattoos - wrists, necks, hands etc. And the face... oh I saw a picture of this poor stupid girl who had the ugliest tattoo on like 3/4 of her face (no pattern or anything, mostly just green). McDonalds wouldn't hire someone like that & I wouldn't eat there if they did.

Comment

Well, I guess I need to say (and this is the last time I will because it's a tad off the topic) that I wasn't offended or getting antsy about the comment made about tattoos and cooperate America. I have a good job right now, dealing with the public -- and I have my tattoo showing almost all the time. I have no desire to work in a situation where people judge you on your looks before what you could bring to the company. I got my marking where I was comfortable with it -- and I intend it to be my only one. I understand many people are put off by tattoos -- I'm put off by certain kinds myself. My Stargate image means very much to me -- it means happiness -- and in a deep sort of way -- life to me. This is something I'm more than willing to share with anyone who may question, comment, or criticize me. It's something I chose to do to make Stargate and RDA a part of me forever -- there was no other way I could think of to do this. I have my reasons -- again, only those who tolerate me (I think there's 1 maybe 2 people in that category) know the whole story. I'm glad this thread has sparked conversations -- both positive and negative.
                            Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

I consider tattoos a form of art, just as piercings, make-up, clothes and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
                                Well, I guess I need to say (and this is the last time I will because it's a tad off the topic) that I wasn't offended or getting antsy about the comment made about tattoos and cooperate America..

Actually I took it as America bashing (vs you being defensive), when it's not just us. That's why I responded. It's just my opinion (and experience as a former recruiter) that people who work in certain fields should keep their tats under their work clothes for the most part (the small ankle/leg tat seems to get by okay or is hidden during interviews & then no one says anything once they're hired & the band aid comes off). But hey, if you're not one for those kinds of jobs, then it doesn't matter.

I am also one that believes tattoos should have a meaning to the wearer. If Stargate has meaning to you, that's great. One of the reason's I considered the PoO was (as a sci-fi fan my whole life) I thought it was an attractive way to represent my own world (there was a little environmentalism in there too).

Comment

Working...
                                X