Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Earth Symbol Re: Stargate Tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigater
    Yes, always something to keep in mind. You don't want to go to shake a prospective employers hand and have them ask about the tattooes (well, you might, I guess! *shrugs*).

As in my case, I'd never go to a job interview with a short sleeve shirt on to begin with, so my *marking* wouldn't show. And I would be more than happy to explain the meaning of the tattoo, what it means to me and why it makes me smile every time it catches my (or someone else's) eye. I figure if an employer can't see that some people, who are good/loyal workers, might happen to have a tattoo, than I don't need them. I want people to see me for me, not for the stereotype that Americans have placed on those who are tattooed.
    Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

Default Re: Stargate Tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
    As in my case, I'd never go to a job interview with a short sleeve shirt on to begin with, so my *marking* wouldn't show. And I would be more than happy to explain the meaning of the tattoo, what it means to me and why it makes me smile every time it catches my (or someone else's) eye. I figure if an employer can't see that some people, who are good/loyal workers, might happen to have a tattoo, than I don't need them. I want people to see me for me, not for the stereotype that Americans have placed on those who are tattooed.

Whoa there.. I know I said corporate America, but that was just an expression.. it's true of many nationalities. Many people do have false beliefs of what it means to be tattooed, but you know what... they're not always wrong. Plus some people out there have ugly tattoos of naked women, knives, skulls etc. Sorry, but I don't want to go into a hospital and see my nurse with that. Or go into a board room and some guy has a cross on his neck. It's not professional... just like going into an interview w/short sleeves isn't.

You say you don't need them, but the reality is they could care less about you because there are 1000 more in line. Sadly it's (general) you who is more likely to lose in the end. Things may change in 20 years but for right now the cold hard reality is if you want a good job, minimize the visible tattoos - wrists, necks, hands etc. And the face... oh I saw a picture of this poor stupid girl who had the ugliest tattoo on like 3/4 of her face (no pattern or anything, mostly just green). McDonalds wouldn't hire someone like that & I wouldn't eat there if they did.

Well, I guess I need to say (and this is the last time I will because it's a tad off the topic) that I wasn't offended or getting antsy about the comment made about tattoos and cooperate America. I have a good job right now, dealing with the public -- and I have my tattoo showing almost all the time. I have no desire to work in a situation where people judge you on your looks before what you could bring to the company. I got my marking where I was comfortable with it -- and I intend it to be my only one. I understand many people are put off by tattoos -- I'm put off by certain kinds myself. My Stargate image means very much to me -- it means happiness -- and in a deep sort of way -- life to me. This is something I'm more than willing to share with anyone who may question, comment, or criticize me. It's something I chose to do to make Stargate and RDA a part of me forever -- there was no other way I could think of to do this. I have my reasons -- again, only those who tolerate me (I think there's 1 maybe 2 people in that category) know the whole story. I'm glad this thread has sparked conversations -- both positive and negative.
    Bander

"LTS" -- Mr. Richard Dean Anderson

"I only understand one percent of what she says half the time." -- Col. Jack O'Neill

I consider tattoos a form of art, just as piercings, make-up, clothes and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
    Well, I guess I need to say (and this is the last time I will because it's a tad off the topic) that I wasn't offended or getting antsy about the comment made about tattoos and cooperate America..

Actually I took it as America bashing (vs you being defensive), when it's not just us. That's why I responded. It's just my opinion (and experience as a former recruiter) that people who work in certain fields should keep their tats under their work clothes for the most part (the small ankle/leg tat seems to get by okay or is hidden during interviews & then no one says anything once they're hired & the band aid comes off). But hey, if you're not one for those kinds of jobs, then it doesn't matter.

I am also one that believes tattoos should have a meaning to the wearer. If Stargate has meaning to you, that's great. One of the reason's I considered the PoO was (as a sci-fi fan my whole life) I thought it was an attractive way to represent my own world (there was a little environmentalism in there too).

Stargate Re: Stargate Tattoos

If I wasn't such a wimp I would get a small Stargate Tattoo. I'm not a Tattoo person, but I'd get a Gate one. Well, it'd be near to Gate.

It would most likely say Michael Welch.

If not that, it would be the Tau'ri symbol, or a little Gate.
    ------
    Shelby aka JessMerrick

I got my new one on Friday.
    5 medallions on an anklet. An Ankh, a 5-point star in Celtic knotwork, an Eye of Ra, "L T S" and a PoO.

My older brother started giving me a hard time about the PoO. So I asked him, "Is it on YOUR ankle? No? Then I guess there's no problem, eh?" He gave up. My dad just shakes his head and Mom wonders where she went wrong. I'm 47, it's a little too late to wonder.
    You're never too old to do something goofy.
    Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Chief Master Sergeant Asgard Buddy's Avatar

Oooooo! Do you have a picture you can show us?

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferhailey
    If I wasn't such a wimp I would get a small Stargate Tattoo. I'm not a Tattoo person, but I'd get a Gate one. Well, it'd be near to Gate.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos but personally I wouldn't get one. BUT...if I did I would get kind of a 3D looking stargate on my arm or the tau'ri symbol on my ankle or something....

BTW M.W. is a cutie...

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard Buddy
    Oooooo! Do you have a picture you can show us?
    Right now they're looking 'icky' because they're healing. Late next week they should have finished peeling and I'll find someone to take pics. It's very tough to take pics of your own ankle.
    You're never too old to do something goofy.
    Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Stargate Earth Address

Please disregard this duplicate thread. Mods, please end the suffering.
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com
    http://img36.exs.cx/img36/9366/vhemt.jpg
    I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Earth address?

to quote aiden, stuff happens

easily fixed

ooh, and i think you can delete your own posts, so if it ever happens again, you should be able to just delete the extra post, no harm, no foul

Default Tattoos...with stargate theme?

I am considering getting a tattoo, and pondering having a stargate themed design. I know that may sound incredibly nerdy, but well, I'm pretty darn nerdy.

What do people think of this idea, and are there people who have stargate related tattoos, and if so, what specific designs do they have?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Default Re: Tattoos...with stargate theme?

IMHO, anything other than the gate would be just too much!

Captain

What would you get? You know some people get Japanese or Chinese writing on their wrist or something like that, maybe you could get some Gau'old writing. It'd be pretty unique.

Oh Oh, I know get a system lord's symbol tatooed to your forehead!

Tatoos on face and hands is always a nono

Earth PoO, Eye of Horus...

Captain

Whats the eye of horus look like?

It looks like this.

If you really want a crazy tattoo, go for the full back one of a Goa'uld symbiote wrapping around your spinal cord.

Mjollnir, do you play nethack?

Thanks for the feedback guys...I do like the PoO symbol personally, except that I have heard it is actually the goa'uld symbol for earth, not an ancient symbol for earth...but this doesn't make sense to me as the ancients built the gates and thus must have devised the symbols...right?

Quote Originally Posted by fair_nymph
    Mjollnir, do you play nethack?
    Negative. What is it?