• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth

Do you think they will ever find Earth?

If they do what will Earth be like?

Will it be Earth of the present?
    Earth of the distant past (could the Colonials be mistaken for the Greeks?)
    Or a super advanced Earth of the future? (Personally I think this is the least likely choice)

Also the Cylon-Human half-breeds... could they be the key to the way religion changed on this planet (Earth) from worshipping many Gods into the one (as Christianity, Islam and Judaism all do?)

I just hope it's not Wolfman Jack again...

I've always viewed the BSG universe as an alternate universe to ours. So I don't feel that there will be any connection to our own history.
    So IMO, what they'll find is a populated planet, populated by the 13th Colonists of course, that is at somewhat similiar technological level as they are.
    I know it's probably not what you were asking, but it's just what I think it might be.

Comment

No worries!

I want discussion and ideas to be bandied about!

I have more questions on the whole Earth thing, but I actually have this feeling that it is not an alternate universe to ours (why call it Earth? Why bring in the Zodiac?) I believe that sci-fi writers cannot resist some big kind of twist (planet of the apes style) and will give us something to chew about when they finally reach Earth.

BTW someone keeps saying the series is gonna finish after season 3. Is this true?

Comment

I hope not, and I don't think the story will end when they find Earth, because they must deal with the Cylons
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Surely they will defeat the Cylons and find Earth in the last episode (of whatever series).

Comment

Well, I think that since the Greek panthion has pretty much died out & a monothiestic relgions (Christainity & Islam) are the dominant religions across the globe, they Cylons find Earth first & seeing as they both worship a Monotheistic God, they make peace & becoem Allies. The BattleStars find Earth & realise that they are the enemy, they don't worships gods but a single God, akin to the Cylons Belief. They organise a diplomatic meeting, but remain wary of the "Eathlings." But, the Cylons are pulling everything from behind. The earthings are taken onboard the ships to repare it, therefor, unabling it to move/fight/defend, as the power is off whilst repares are made. Suddenly, the Cylon Fleet Emerges & attacks Galactica & Pegasus, destroying Pegasus & crippling Galactica (more so). BattleStar tells Earth that they need assistance in fighting the Cylons, but, because the Cylons have made an Alliance with the Cylons, they start bombing the Frak out of the Battlestar. Somehow, FTL travel is engaged & the battlestar goes out & hides within Sirius or something. There, they meet the Hindu/Buddhist etc (PolyTheistic Religions) hiding out with a few ragtag ships of their own. They repare Galactica & tell them the myth of the 14th Planet or whatnot... Soemthing from Hindu/Buddhist mythology. Thus Starts the begining of a new Arch to find this 14th Planet, but with new Allies (Hinuists/Budhsits) & New Enemies (Earthlings & Cylons).

So.... it might not go like that, but I'm betting on a Earth-Battlestar conflict, as the Colonists are Polytheistics & the Majority of Earth is Monothiestic, akin to teh Cylons, with a Single God aposed to a Panthion of Deities.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Baltar
              Surely they will defeat the Cylons and find Earth in the last episode (of whatever series).
              I was just about to say that...though it would be interesting to see Earth's reaction to it all/what happens after.

Comment

Originally posted by oh-your-god
                I was just about to say that...though it would be interesting to see Earth's reaction to it all/what happens after.
                Wouldn't it be funny that when they defeat the cylons and find earth, the people of earth turn out to be isolationists and tell them to frak off.

Comment

I think there will be some kind of big memorable twist at the end of the series and maybe it will be that Earth is ruled by Cylons or the half-breeds have colonised it.

Or even that they find Earth full of unevolved chimps?

There will be something going on I feel.

Comment

I'm goin with the idea that either the Cylons found Earth and made contact with the 13th colony. Not knowing about the Cylons they didn't think of them as a threat so the Cylons presented themselves as peacful explores. After learning of the culture of Earth they find out that they have abandoned Kobolian religion and developed they're own faith. The Cylons are intrigued by this and they adopt it themselves.

Somewhere down the line the Cylons use the Earthlings DNA to develop Human Cylons. However the new breed of Cylons develop the belief that ALL races should worship the one true God, therfor they set out to return to the Colonies to try and convert they're culture. Though the spies which they send fail to make the colonialists to believe and they imediatly form a plan to wipe them out(ala Ori Crusade).

When the fleet finally gets to Earth the make contact with the 13th Colony and the Earthlings are surprised that they are still alive. They had opposed to the Cylons objective and had tried to stop them but they didn't have the resources to pursue them into deep space. The Earthlings try to teach the Colonialists about they're religion but the Colonialists won't have it and start thinking that the Earthlings are working with the Cylons. The fleet attempts to escape but is cornered when the Cylons ambush them in orbit of Earth. While the rest of the fleet manages to jump away the Battlestars are caught in the middle of Earth and the Cylon fleet and a confrontation errupts. While the Cylon fleet dukes it out with the Battlestars, Earth believing the Cylons are wrong, launch a ground to space attack on the Cylon fleet while criticaly damaging Galactica and Pegasus in the process.

That last paragraph is a bit of a streatch but it would be exciting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted_Beckett
                      I'm goin with the idea that either the Cylons found Earth and made contact with the 13th colony. Not knowing about the Cylons they didn't think of them as a threat so the Cylons presented themselves as peacful explores. After learning of the culture of Earth they find out that they have abandoned Kobolian religion and developed they're own faith. The Cylons are intrigued by this and they adopt it themselves.

Somewhere down the line the Cylons use the Earthlings DNA to develop Human Cylons. However the new breed of Cylons develop the belief that ALL races should worship the one true God, therfor they set out to return to the Colonies to try and convert they're culture. Though the spies which they send fail to make the colonialists to believe and they imediatly form a plan to wipe them out(ala Ori Crusade).

When the fleet finally gets to Earth the make contact with the 13th Colony and the Earthlings are surprised that they are still alive. They had opposed to the Cylons objective and had tried to stop them but they didn't have the resources to pursue them into deep space. The Earthlings try to teach the Colonialists about they're religion but the Colonialists won't have it and start thinking that the Earthlings are working with the Cylons. The fleet attempts to escape but is cornered when the Cylons ambush them in orbit of Earth. While the rest of the fleet manages to jump away the Battlestars are caught in the middle of Earth and the Cylon fleet and a confrontation errupts. While the Cylon fleet dukes it out with the Battlestars, Earth believing the Cylons are wrong, launch a ground to space attack on the Cylon fleet while criticaly damaging Galactica and Pegasus in the process.

That last paragraph is a bit of a streatch but it would be exciting though.
                      I don't think that's gonna happy, why not.

1 We don't have the weapons to launch a ground-to-space attack. If Galactica finds Earth in the Ancient past, she will find a nuke-less world. And even if she arrives in the present....Nukes aren't designed to be fired at stuff in orbit.

2 There is no evidence that the Cylons have ever visited Earth. I find it hard to believe that (past)historians and astronomers would miss something a sigficant as that.

3 The one reference we have that even comes close to the Cylons are the Cyclons from Ancient Greece. Described as man-eating, one eyed giants. If these Mythical creatures were in fact Cylons it would mean that people were fearing and advoiding them, rather then friendly contact.
                      Last edited by Janus; 20 April 2006, 08:35 AM.
                      sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                        Well, I think that since the Greek panthion has pretty much died out & a monothiestic relgions (Christainity & Islam) are the dominant religions across the globe, they Cylons find Earth first & seeing as they both worship a Monotheistic God, they make peace & becoem Allies. The BattleStars find Earth & realise that they are the enemy, they don't worships gods but a single God, akin to the Cylons Belief. They organise a diplomatic meeting, but remain wary of the "Eathlings." But, the Cylons are pulling everything from behind. The earthings are taken onboard the ships to repare it, therefor, unabling it to move/fight/defend, as the power is off whilst repares are made. Suddenly, the Cylon Fleet Emerges & attacks Galactica & Pegasus, destroying Pegasus & crippling Galactica (more so). BattleStar tells Earth that they need assistance in fighting the Cylons, but, because the Cylons have made an Alliance with the Cylons, they start bombing the Frak out of the Battlestar. Somehow, FTL travel is engaged & the battlestar goes out & hides within Sirius or something. There, they meet the Hindu/Buddhist etc (PolyTheistic Religions) hiding out with a few ragtag ships of their own. They repare Galactica & tell them the myth of the 14th Planet or whatnot... Soemthing from Hindu/Buddhist mythology. Thus Starts the begining of a new Arch to find this 14th Planet, but with new Allies (Hinuists/Budhsits) & New Enemies (Earthlings & Cylons).

So.... it might not go like that, but I'm betting on a Earth-Battlestar conflict, as the Colonists are Polytheistics & the Majority of Earth is Monothiestic, akin to teh Cylons, with a Single God aposed to a Panthion of Deities.
                        I don't think the people of Earth would be fooled that easily. Ancient Earth doesn't have the technology to attack Galactica anyway. Nor did have any space ships for the Hindu/Buddists to escape on.

Present day Earth also lacks the ships and tech. The tech might be created with a bit of help from the Cylons, but it don't think the current political landscape would alllow an alliance of Earth with the Cylons. I don't think any country on Earth today would allow the Cylons to pull their strings. If they tried, the leaders would probably tell the Cylons to go frak themselves and declare war.

Also, to force the Hindu/Buddist people of Earth would require a level presuction that would be massive.
                        I don't think the people of Earth would stand for it, I think there would be protests and riots. People has seen the evil of WW-II...I think they would refuse to see such evil again.
                        Last edited by Janus; 20 April 2006, 08:53 AM.
                        sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                          I don't think the people of Earth would be fooled that easily. Ancient Earth doesn't have the technology to attack Galactica anyway. Nor did have any space ships for the Hindu/Buddists to escape on.

Present day Earth also lacks the ships and tech. The tech might be created with a bit of help from the Cylons, but it don't think the current political landscape would alllow an alliance of Earth with the Cylons. I don't think any country on Earth today would allow the Cylons to pull their strings. If they tried, the leaders would probably tell the Cylons to go frak themselves and declare war.

Also, to force the Hindu/Buddist people of Earth would require a level presuction that would be massive.
                          I don't think the people of Earth would stand for it, I think there would be protests and riots. People has seen the evil of WW-II...I think they would refuse to see such evil again.
                          Aah, but is this Our Earth or a differant Earth?

They said the Great War (WWI) would be the end of all Wars what with the Horrors & such & looked what happened (WWII). They say that WWII will be the last Great War, but it's doubtful, soemthing will arise.

Also, what would happen if a Relgious Extremist Group Took Control of the USA? Such as in The Handmaidens Tale or it Can't Happen here, sure that stuff it not likely to happen now, but if in an AU, where Christianity Become the Dominate religion & Controlled the World in a Tolatarian way, it might. Alos, if the start of Humans using Machinary came in Early History, Say Medieval Times, By 2000, (1000yrs Later) it would have progressed Greatly.

Also, if the earth leaders were corupt & wanted more power or possibly worshipped the Cylons as Prophets or Angels they might allow an Alliance...
                          Last edited by The Prophet; 20 April 2006, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Prophet...

why do you insist on the alternate Earth?

People would go nuts and denounce the show if it turns out all this happened in an alternate universe. It should have set it up at the start (Star Wars style with a scroll or title card if so)

There WILL be an Earth and it WILLl have some relevance to us right now.

Screenwriting logic dictates it to be so.

Alternate Earths/Universes are always declared at the start of a book/movie/TV show, because to give that as the climax of a story is an easy way out and smacks of convenience and unoriginality.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Baltar
                              Prophet...

why do you insist on the alternate Earth?

People would go nuts and denounce the show if it turns out all this happened in an alternate universe. It should have set it up at the start (Star Wars style with a scroll or title card if so)

There WILL be an Earth and it WILLl have some relevance to us right now.

Screenwriting logic dictates it to be so.

Alternate Earths/Universes are always declared at the start of a book/movie/TV show, because to give that as the climax of a story is an easy way out and smacks of convenience and unoriginality.
                              Hey, who's insisting? I'm just stating a possibility, it could be a Futuristic Earth.

So, you propose the Current Earth, who will most likely get the Frak kicked out of them by the Cylons? Great Ending...

Comment

Working...
                              X