No announcement yet.

Enemy Mine (707)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent point, and of course the computers have tranlations such as that of Narim the Tollanan. But some aliens have their own languages that are not translated on occasion, i.e. the Goa'uld and the Abydons.
    But SG1 is never amazed how all the aliens can pretty much communicate with them in standard English, even if they do not relate to idioms and slang. Why wouldn't at least one planet have Russian or Chinese as their native language?!

Originally posted by terminator View Post
    So how come everyone is cool that all aliens speak English but every single English-speaking planet has their own different written language that they read (computer screens, etc) WHILE SPEAKING ENGLISH?

Comment

Because in 42 min you can't learn a new alien language every week that is a boring show. BUT....when you reference Russian or Chinese we also know that Daniel speaks around 19 earth languages so for us viewers it would probably help our suspension of disbelief if we actually had a few episodes where the aliens did use alternate earth languages and we just use Dr. Jackson to translate to SG1 and us viewers. Obviously we hear SG1 speaking English so just a few subtitles while Daniel communicates with the aliens in Russian, Chinese, whatever would be a small price to pay for us the viewers to not have to keep pretending the English speaking aliens are normal. Especially when Yu, the Asgard, or Cronos (sp?) were involved those would have been great opportunities to throw in something else.

Comment

Because in 42 min you can't learn a new alien language every week that is a boring show. BUT....when you reference Russian or Chinese we also know that Daniel speaks around 19 earth languages so for us viewers it would probably help our suspension of disbelief if we actually had a few episodes where the aliens did use alternate earth languages and we just use Dr. Jackson to translate to SG1 and us viewers. Obviously we hear SG1 speaking English so just a few subtitles while Daniel communicates with the aliens in Russian, Chinese, whatever would be a small price to pay for us the viewers to not have to keep pretending the English speaking aliens are normal. Especially when Yu, the Asgard, or Cronos (sp?) were involved those would have been great opportunities to throw in something else.
        Only problem with that is you'd need native/fluent speakers that fit the role and can act too. Far too often when American shows try something like this the foreign language is abused and the pronunciation is horrible. There've been times I couldn't even understand what an actor was saying when they were speaking in my native language (which I wouldn't have recognized if they hadn't said what language/country it was) and I had to read the American subtitles to understand it... the attempts are often laughable and only makes the characters look foolish, especially if they're supposed to speak a bunch of languages fluently.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Only problem with that is you'd need native/fluent speakers that fit the role and can act too. Far too often when American shows try something like this the foreign language is abused and the pronunciation is horrible. There've been times I couldn't even understand what an actor was saying when they were speaking in my native language (which I wouldn't have recognized if they hadn't said what language/country it was) and I had to read the American subtitles to understand it... the attempts are often laughable and only makes the characters look foolish, especially if they're supposed to speak a bunch of languages fluently.
          I can't argue with that but when we are talking about stuff that never happened but we wished it did that gives us the freedom to speak about things as if it were a perfect world and everything worked out exactly how we had hoped. Hypothetically I have 20 billion dollars but sadly no..... apparently the world just isn't perfect enough to have that luxury. One can dream though... I'll go ahead next time I'm wishing for stuff that won't happen and throw in a couple million for you too just to be nice how's that?
          Last edited by terminator; 17 January 2012, 09:11 AM.

Comment

It appears that Michael Shanks knows Russian, RD Anderson knows Spanish, etc. Maybe they know more. Of course Shanks also knows Ancient and Goa'uld too. ;-)
            He is also getting pretty fluent in Unas. "Chaka, chaka.....no, chakaaaaa")

I can't argue with that but when we are talking about stuff that never happened but we wished it did that gives us the freedom to speak about things as if it were a perfect world and everything worked out exactly how we had hoped. Hypothetically I have 20 billion dollars but sadly no..... apparently the world just isn't perfect enough to have that luxury. One can dream though... I'll go ahead next time I'm wishing for stuff that won't happen and throw in a couple million for you too how's that?

Comment

Tuesday night...another ep of SG1.

1. First time we'd really had Unas as bad guys for a long time...even temporarilly.

2. Another Jack light ep...but this one worked.

3. Negotiations were a lot of fun.

4. "We're ready" "no you're not". On the original UK airing there was an ad break here.

5. Some very fun facial expressions here - even from an Aspie perspective.

Solid and fun ep.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

It was a pretty good episode, good pacing.

Maj Lorne makes his first appearance in this one. Edwards was kind of jerk (heck, all the military (sans SG-1 & Hammond) were kind of jerks).

Tomorrow, a good old (alien) space race.
                sigpic

Comment

This one is one of my favourites of season 7. A great story of how misunderstandings can get out of hand and escalate into tragedy. Thank goodness for Daniel and Chaka!

One of my favourite funny moments....

Daniel getting upset about the artifacts being moved and Jack telling him to go to his "happy place."

I never noticed before that Major Lorne first appeared in SG-1! It was a nice surprise to see him, he always has that lovely personable smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    This one is one of my favourites of season 7. A great story of how misunderstandings can get out of hand and escalate into tragedy. Thank goodness for Daniel and Chaka!
                    Yes indeed, what a team.

And I definitely like Lorne more than McKay so far!

My LiveJournal post
                    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Ah yes, forgot to mention Lorne, first impressions of the guy were as a decent XO to Edwards but not someone I expected to see again.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

A great ep. The Unas tend to have an effect on you. Turning what could be a boring ep into a good one.

I was actually quite touched by the ending. Made me feel quite good inside.

And I take it this is how we get enough Naquada to power the Daedalus class ships.
                        sigpic

Comment

This is why I dislike S7 so much. It has so many dud episodes. Enemy Mine is no exception. It kind of sickens me how the 4 star General decides to his subordinates that if the planet has high naqaduh deposits they are going to relocate the Unas. Have we learned nothing from the explotation of other cultures? The colonel annoys me in his arrogance of calling the Unas beasts. The negioating with the Unas is dull and thier is little in action or development that this episode is quite boring.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Solid storytelling. Good episode.

- Crusty ol' Col Edwards is just great.

- The Unas are an honorable culture. It can be difficult to watch them being taken advantage of. It is funny to me how the Unas alpha dog each other and finally, Col Edwards and team.

- The deal the Unas made in conclusion was the perfect lukewarm concession. Better than a bag of beads. And they did get that fancy lighter. IMHO, any more than minimal compensation for their labors and resources would be wishful thinking instead of good storytelling.
                            Last edited by Oma De Salad; 12 February 2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Best line ever..."Daniel, Go To Your Happy Place!"....
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Yup...loses none of it's appeal....Daniel Jackson, peaceful explorer, negotiator and breaker-in of colonels!...

And it's still a great Jack O'Neill line!..

Thoroughly enjoy this one...

Deeds xx
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                                MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Working...
                                X