Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Major General

Default Re: Enemy Mine (707)

Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    I really enjoyed this episode.

I've always liked how Daniel was the team member who always tried to preserve peace and always had great repect for other cultures, races and creatures. This episode really lets Daniel do what he does best and it was interesting watching him communicate and form a bond with Iron Shirt.

It was looking bad there for a while and I was thinking that it was gonna end on a sad note but the climax scene where Daniel averted war and forged the agreement was great watching.

I hope we see more of the Unas because apart from the Asgard and the Replicators we always run into different humans or aliens within humans. It would be good to forge a strong alience with a different creature.
    Agreed. I loved it how that cnl told jackson at the end "jack warned me you were a pain in the ass, but well worth it"..

And i would also liked to have seen more Unas episodes.. heck even if all it was was daniel and Chaka..

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler View Post
    Okay, it seems that almost every human civilization SG teams meet speak English (unless you're watching it on Telemundo) and now they made it so that Unas on other planets speak the same language too. The language inconsistancy is the only thing that really irks me about this series.
    Other than when the Unas were saying 'daniel', or gou'ald/uman' i did not notice any 'english being spoken.. Where was that?

Quote Originally Posted by ApophisOfTheStargateRealm View Post
    i wasnt really too fond of this episode... it seemed a bit darker than most and also showed the darker side of human's trying to obtain what they really want...i also dont like the unas in general though...
    Agreed, it did 'showcase' our darker side... BUT i also loved daniels arguing with those 2 generals, about how many was enough to 'make it wrong'..

Quote Originally Posted by Maj_Cliffhanger View Post
    And the suspension of reality glasses would have had to be much thicker if they spoke English like the one in Thor's Hammer did.
    IIRC the only reason that one did, was cause he had a gou'ald in him..

Quote Originally Posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
    Thirdly, I liked the fact that we (and by we I mean the SGC) were wrong because it shows we're not superheroes...we are fallible human beings who are prone to make seriously bad decisions. And in this case, we were the intruders. We had NO RIGHT to the Naquadah and Hammond was ordered to make sure that we got it at all cost. This position is of course opportunistic to the extreme and morally we were on the wrong side. It seems we didn't learn anything from the Season 2 Episode Spirits...

Fourthly: Because we were wrong, I like the fact that we lost. We had to negotiate a surrender or everyone would have been killed. We were wrong and they were right. We had to humble ourselves and it took us down a peg.
    Great catch with the 'not learning\ from spirits, and i do agree, i liked it for the 'we were wrong' angle. As to the humbling... it showcased almost for me, what our whole war with the Gou'ald was about.. a less tech race whupping a greater tech race, cause of our determination..

I've always really enjoyed the unas episodes, but this one seemed a bit repetitive like I'd seen it all before. It was still an alright episode though and it did have some good scenes in it, like Daniel being told to go to his 'happy place' and the end scene was pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I love Jack straightening up and pretending it doesn't hurt when Sam walks into the infirmary. LOL.
    Loved that too, lol. Although I thought Jack was pretty rude telling the nurse to "go away." But I guess he never is that polite.
    "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
    S/J all the way!
    Big Honkin' Resolution!

John/Teyla Shipper!
    SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

This ep was as alot of ppl already have told but anyway it was really good and IMO is evry episode with the unas is intristing. I would like to see them become quite advanced but I don´t think this will happend but it would be nice

Chaka lookt really cool in this ep with the real clots

First Lieutenant SpinningChevron's Avatar

Just watched the episode yesterday for about the tenth time and never noticed before until now that Major Lorne is in it. I guess you learn something new everyday.

I think this episode is a bit of a snoozefest.

I do respect Daniel's determination to find a peaceful solution the discord.

Chief Master Sergeant SG1FanOregon's Avatar

I did enjoy this ep. I enjoyed a show where Daniel's linguistic skills were needed. It adds a bit to the reality. I do like Chaka & the Unas, & I understand they're fairly primative, but I wish they took a bit more time to expand the Unas vocabulary a bit. Sometimes there entire language is centered around less that 20 words. Thats the only thing that throws me a bit. I loved that hard headed colonel finally seeing he was wrong & getting on his knees like a good boy who deserved a spanking before ending up as Unas toejam LOL. Like the Nox and Tollund said more than once, we're still very young. This episode was definately a growth experience for the SGC

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
    I think this episode is a bit of a snoozefest.

I do respect Daniel's determination to find a peaceful solution the discord.
    I agree on both sentiments.

Most memorable scene: Jack telling Daniel to "go to his happy place".

excellent episode because it was a better unas episode than others which I didnt like to much

Jason writes: “Did you ever expect the character of Lorne to take off like it did when you first came up with the character and named him after your brother or father in law? Thanks for casting Kavan Smith in the role, he’s one of my favorites now.”

PDL: Major Lorne is named after my brother-in-law Lorne Loder in the episode “Enemy Mine”. Kavan Smith stood out from the get go. He’s very focused, handsome and talented. It was a no brainer to bring him back. I didn’t ‘expect’ him to work on Stargate as much as he did but I was not ‘surprised’ because he is so good. (He’s one of my favorites too.)
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...guest-blogger/

Quote Originally Posted by SpinningChevron View Post
    Just watched the episode yesterday for about the tenth time and never noticed before until now that Major Lorne is in it. I guess you learn something new everyday.
    Same here, I only realised when watching it again just now - you would think though being an experienced military officer the sight of the dead guy (forgot his name) would not make him want to throw up.

Raticate

I just caught the last half of this episode on SyFy. It reminded me of how much this one needs to go onto my "incredibly BORING episodes" list. On the bright side, Patrick Currie & Alex Zahara did a great job with their unas characters.

Air Force Chief of Staff mrscopterdoc's Avatar

Sam isn't in here much....

dislike the Col Edwards acting like a jerk....

looks like the wrong Chaka [different actor maybe?]

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Once again a very strong episode for MS. Colonel Edwards was a blinkered hardcore military guy. I'm glad Daniel Jackson managed to earn his respect in the end.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

As to the how do all the unas know the same language question. It could be like for example Latin turns into French, portuegues, and Spanish and the spread to the country's they are in now. or In Other words the all started on the same planet speaking the same language and once separated small deviations in dialect occurred. And also I really enjoyed this episode. I like the unas as a spiecies people and culture

Probie

Hmmm... this sounds familiar...

Military organization from Earth comes to alien planet in search of precious mineral unavailable on Earth, but nonetheless needed for our (human) survival. In process of trying to exploit this natural resource, humans disturb a sacred ground belonging to a technologically primitive indigenous race. Said natives become angry at this desecration and attack the humans, eventually gathering all the tribes (Braveheart-style) and outnumbering puny humans. In the course of all this, one human who is friendly to these natives tries to establish diplomatic relations with them, only to have his efforts wasted by a military commander too eager to use force to either re-locate or completely wipe out the indigs.

Now where else have I seen something like this?

Maybe like a movie or something...
    Spoiler:
    [IMG]DO NOT HOTLINKhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Avatar-Teaser-Poster.jpg[/IMG]

Well, the SG-1 episode aired years before the James Cameron film, but the scriptment for "Avatar" was was written way back in 1994. So... which idea came first? And does Mr. Cameron watch any SG-1?

First Lieutenant

Another Daniel solo episode which was the price to take him back as RDA and DSD were on their way out after Corin Nemec.....

Chief Master Sergeant LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar

I love Unas episodes, but this is probably the weakest of the bunch. It's not bad, but a little on the dull side and has the stereotypical unreasonable military officer character. It's a shame Dion Johnstone wasn't available to play Chaka here, as the replacement just doesn't look or feel right (though, I would never have guessed that Patrick Currie was playing him). Alex Zahara is always so recognisable no matter how many prosthetics he has on!

Carter barely has a role in this one, but Daniel shines again. General Vidrine looks much better with the moustache.
    It's a shame there's no more Unas episodes after this, I was just getting the hang of their language!

RATING: 7 out of 10

Staff Sergeant

So how come everyone is cool that all aliens speak English but every single English-speaking planet has their own different written language that they read (computer screens, etc) WHILE SPEAKING ENGLISH?

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    So how come everyone is cool that all aliens speak English but every single English-speaking planet has their own different written language that they read (computer screens, etc) WHILE SPEAKING ENGLISH?
    It's code of course
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast