No announcement yet.

Lifeboat (706)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True this wasn't really a mainstream SG1 story...but I loved it. The acting by MS in this episode was great and well deserving whatever award he won, and in my opinion should have been nominated for an emmy, but if your not on one of the big 4 networks or showtime your shows not going to stand a chance in getting noticed...

Anyways, I just rewatched this ep on DVD earlier today, and the writing was also very well done. To come up with the storyline and the conflict between the little boy and the father, then Martice as a huge contrast....

The other thing that I didn't see mentioned here is that one of the reason RDA was so light in this episode (besides his regular limited schedule) was it was during this episode that RDA's father passed away. If you listen to the commentary on the DVD for this one with PD he talks about always thinking of this one at that and they had to do most if not all of RDA's reaction seens right after he had returned back to work. Knowing that if you watch his seens espically in the observation room you really do get that RDA has a different mood than his normal self (and understandably so)...

Comment

This is really a wonderful performance from both TR and MS. Quite amazing. Janet was so cool....

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
        I like Daniel as he protrayed the little boy. He, Micheal Shanks, desereve the award he was given.
        In Glasgow last January during the Shanks/Judge tour someone asked him if he would do the little boy for us. He thought a moment, and then whammo, there was the little boy. It was really quite something to watch. There are photos of him doing it here:
        http://www.michaelshanks-online.com/...lic/uk_2.shtml
        They're the last six photos on the bottom. The stubble does take away from the look a little

I thought this was an awesome episode for both MS and TR and in my opinion TR should have gotten some kind of an award for it, too. She was fantastic.

Dana Jeanne
        Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Yes, she was wonderful. And she was what held the ep together, for me. However brilliant MS was (and he was) there'd not be so much reason for the audience to care about the 'passengers' without a regular character themselves being so involved. Janet was the emotional centre of this episode, and it's the only time (other than that Cassie ep in s5) that Janet really got to *star* in an episode.

:: Sigh ::

I miss Janet.

Madeleine

Comment

while watching this episode I couldn't help thnking of that movie called BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, at the end of the movie all those people Filled into JM's Brain. TOO FUNNY. Michael Shanks really deserved an EMMY, too bad the American Counterpart didn't catch his Performance, it was Outstanding, Glad he came back to STARGATE.

Comment

Originally posted by MR ONION
              while watching this episode I couldn't help thnking of that movie called BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, at the end of the movie all those people Filled into JM's Brain. TOO FUNNY. Michael Shanks really deserved an EMMY, too bad the American Counterpart didn't catch his Performance, it was Outstanding, Glad he came back to STARGATE.
              You're absoultely right Onion. This episode showed just how great of an actor Michael Shanks truely is. I'm not quite sure if he got a Gemini for this, but I hope he did.
              Rocky

Comment

I do believe he got the Gemini. I could be wrong though, but that's what I remember.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

glad to see i'm not the only one who loved this ep!

due almost ENTIRELY to the acting of michael shanks and teryl rothery, this is one of my VERY FAVES from season 7! i loved it!

and if you're right and he did win the award, he TOTALLY deserved it!

Comment

What stunned me is that, even in stills, you can tell from Shanks face when he's not playing Daniel - the little boy and the arrogant ruler look totally different
                    sigpic

Comment

yes... absolutely... his voice, body language, facial expression, and just overall demeanor ALL change with each personality... and he can change in seconds between any two of the four different characters that he plays in the episode... THAT'S what i call talent...

this episode reminded me in some ways of ST voyager's infinite regress (which, as it happens, also showed off much of jeri ryan's acting talent)... and i like both for very similar reason... great character and great acting

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                        You're absoultely right Onion. This episode showed just how great of an actor Michael Shanks truely is. I'm not quite sure if he got a Gemini for this, but I hope he did.
                        I like the way everything changed for each person: voice, expressions, body movement; I swear when he was the little boy he was shorter!!

He did win an award for this episode, it was the LEO award. There's a photo of him with the award here:
                        http://www.michaelshanks-online.com/...ic/other.shtml

Dana Jeanne
                        Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Yep. I was always very impressed with Shanks' acting in this ep. It's really good, and it brings a differnet edge to SG-1, I think. Very good ep, in my opinion.

Comment

I loved this episode. The acting was amazing. I almost cried when the little boy, Keenin, said he just wanted to stay with his mother. In my acting class we were talking about using your voice and movement in acting. She let me bring in the episode to show the class. They thought it was awesome.

Sonya's Fanfiction:

Don't make a move tonight, you can only stagger
                            Once she's got you in her sight you're the one she's after.
                            One by one you count the fights, doesn't even matter
                            That she's got you by surprise, misery's your master.

Comment

That little boy, Keenin... just thinking about his face makes me want to cry right here. Lol, I'm such a girl. But he was just so cute!! *squeals* Like a little cherub with big eyes and pale face and that little frown and, and, and, awwwh... I just wanted to reach into the TV, pull him out and cuddle him.
                              When MS was playing him, that was insane. He was acting just like a little kid with the low tone of voice and he kind of had that little boy pout to his face that said, "I'm trying really really hard not to cry because Daddy says that big boys don't cry." It was so cute.
                              Lol, but when he put his head down into Fraiser's lap I had a bad feeling and then the snooty ruler guy (can't remember his name) came back and said, "What are you doing?" I completely broke down laughing right there. Poor Janet. The look on her face was wonderful.
                              !!! HHGTTG movie out this May! Don't forget to bring your towel! !!!

[ | Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club | ]

Smor: My Anti-Drug

Ba'am: You can bet your ba'als on it.

(thanks to Justin for the pic and no, I'm not serious )

Comment

The ending is a little strange that Carter didn't think of a way to save the squattering "souls" within Jackson. Someone with her IQ should have htought of a simple work-around such as revive several crew members first and use them to off-load those "souls" residing in Jackson's body.

Comment

Working...
                                X