This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancient Alphabet (and other alphabets) Pt2

whats this i hear about the stairs on atlantis being used as a rosseta stone for the ancient language?!!!

look in the atlantis category its been translated completely.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by finwe
      whats this i hear about the stairs on atlantis being used as a rosseta stone for the ancient language?!!!
      Basically, the art department made up some Ancient writing which is basically coded english (they replace letters with new symbols). Sgeureka managed to figure it out and started this thread. The stairs and some other objects have since been decoded and discussed in the thread.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
        Basically, the art department made up some Ancient writing which is basically coded english (they replace letters with new symbols). Sgeureka managed to figure it out and started this thread. The stairs and some other objects have since been decoded and discussed in the thread.
        And 2 ancient fonts have been made aswell by Virtual CLD and Chevron_nine
        *Points to her bottom signature pic and smiles*
        Last edited by Sam_o_Neill; 29 July 2004, 01:33 AM. Reason: To change Chevron 1 to Chevron_nine!!

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_o_Neill
          And 2 ancient fonts have been made aswell by Virtual CLD and Chevron 1
          *COUGH*
          Chevron_nine
          *cough*
          My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
            *COUGH*
            Chevron_nine
            *cough*
            I'm so sorry!!!
            I'll change it now....

I think there is someone else who posts on here called Chevron 1 and I got mixed up

Sorry!

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
              look in the atlantis category its been translated completely.
              I will point out that it is NOT translated completely... we are still missing the letters Q,X,Z and numbers.
              Originally posted by Sam_o_Neill
              Your sig is nice but I will also point out that there is no evidence of spaces or punctuation in Ancient (At least in the dialect that is found in Atlantis).

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                I will point out that it is NOT translated completely... we are still missing the letters Q,X,Z and numbers.

Your sig is nice but I will also point out that there is no evidence of spaces or punctuation in Ancient (At least in the dialect that is found in Atlantis).
                Maybe they didn't need it. A written form of language in such a format would be excellent for speed reading. Given their mental capacity was probably much larger than our own, it's safe to think that they could read awefully fast. That would just help to streamline it.

Comment

good idea

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                    There are many languages on Earth that don't use spaces or puntuation either.

Comment

Do the oriental languages use spaces? I would assume no, since they use characters instead of letters.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                        Do the oriental languages use spaces? I would assume no, since they use characters instead of letters.
                        Chinese and Japanese don't use spaces (and in fact used to be written in columns). Neither do Southeast Asian languages like Thai. In medieval and ancient times many languages didn't use spaces (which has made deciphering some difficult). I think the Romans invented spaces (possibly under Ancient influence).

Comment

Well the Romans did learn roads from "the builders of raods" as stated by Daniel in the Fifth Race.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Ya know, all of the English -> Ancient bothers me.

If the Ancients were going around, speaking a pre-history language that became latin, shouldn't everything be written in such a way?

Comment

ok, well i've translated the text that in affinity 'the trust' wanted daniel to translate into goa'uld. sorry if this has been posted somewhere else. it reads (in english):

ACTUAL WORDS ARE
                              HARD TO DECIPH(ER)
                              SO THIS(')LL WORK

stuff in brackets is stuff that wasn't in the text, note punctuation.

what do people think this means and why did the trust want it in goa'uld?
                              "It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it," said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse."

Comment

Working...
                              X