No announcement yet.

Ship Scaling Sprites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not that different, if you notice I went a bit down. Either way. It's around 4 meters, and it's not 5.

5 is probably the whole thing, with half a meter being the length between the outside and the event horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
      It's not that different, if you notice I went a bit down. Either way. It's around 4 meters, and it's not 5.
      First you say 3.5, now 4. Just scale it correctly and put it to rest.

Originally posted by Sauron18
      5 is probably the whole thing, with half a meter being the length between the outside and the event horizon.
      Like I said before, it's been scaled plenty of times before, and the gate is 22 feet in diameter.

Wikipedia Stargate Entry
      Stargates are typically 22 feet (6.7 m) in diameter and made of a fictional heavy mineral called Naqahdah.
      I know a lot of people scoff at wikipedia for being an open source encyclopedia, so here are some more for you:

Production information from the episode Children of the Gods, found on RDAnderson.com
      Two Stargates were built for the show, each more than 20 feet in diameter.

The Stargate The first, reconstructed from parts of the one seen in the original film, was used for exterior scenes on planet "Chulak," where a hideous species of predators are using the Gate for nefarious purposes. It also doubles as the Stargate on Abydos.

The second Stargate is part of a large, two-story permanent set at Vancouver's Bridge Studios that represents a secretive U.S. Air Force base. In addition to the Stargate, it houses the Control Room, replete with sophisticated computers and tracking devices, a Briefing Room, and a series of circular corridors that leads to the Gate.

The Stargate Made of steel and fiberglass, this fully-automated Stargate is much more sophisticated and is capable of rotating and emitting light. A specially-designed 22-foot circular gear was constructed that turns the Gate on a precise pinion drive wheel using an eight-horsepower electric motor. The entire apparatus is controlled by a custom computer program that reads -- with the help of a sensoring eye -- the laser pulses emitted by seven chevrons on the Gate. This mechanism allows the computer to rotate the Gate in either direction and stop it on a dime.
      Stargate Entry on Alderac Entertainment (creators of the Stargate RPG)
      The device we know as the Stargate (a literal translation provided by Dr. Daniel Jackson of the Goa’uld word ‘chappa’ai’) is a ring-shaped device, roughly 22 feet wide from outside edge to outside edge.
      DVD review of the extras from season 4's DVD set
      Extras include (for the first time) optional commentaries on every episode by SG-1 directors, visual-effects supervisors, and cinematographers; these are geektastic yack-tracks, with an immense amount of technical detail and background information (frequent show director Peter DeLuise's tracks are especially entertaining); featurettes on visual effects and the show's alien races; and the excellent 25-minute featurette "Stargate SG-1: Timeline to the Future — Legacy of the Gate," part one of a three-part documentary, which starts with the show's conception and covers a lot of ground from casting to some genuinely surprising details — like the fact that the 22-foot-high stargate created for the show actually turns and locks into place via computer operation, with keyboard commands determining the combination of chevrons for the gate's "address." Five keep-cases in a paperboard slipcase.
      I can dig up more references, but I think you get my point.

You've tried to discredit all of my references to this point. First you said that Carter's estimate of 10 meters for the supergate segment shouldn't be used. Now you're trying to convince me that I don't know the interior dimensions of the Stargate, even though it's very easy to find out using MS paint and a decent screenshot.
      When you tried to scale the gate with your numbers, you obviously didn't scale it correctly, which I can see with my naked eye, so I asked that you use a horizontal line instead of a vertical one. Then you say that 3.5 meters is probably not right, it's closer to 4 meters.

Now lets take a look at what I've provided: I did two scalings, not one. I used two references, not one. The best part is, the dimensions I ended up with from both scalings came up exactly the same. Let me say that again: they are exactly the same, in both scalings I did.

You've done one scaling. You came up with one set of numbers. Use a different reference, and do another scaling. If it confirms your first set of numbers, then I'll continue this discussion. If you don't get the same results, you have a problem with your technique.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

You're right, the interior diameter of the gate isn't 5.5 meters: It's exactly 16.5 feet, which is 5.02 meters.

I'll redo my work and post it tomorrow based on this picture.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Well, here is a small update:

You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

regarding the supergare, i reacon the peices expand in space, like they flod outwards to make themselves bigger, as seen that they small enough to fit through the stargate one minute are bigger then tel'tek's the next.

What i mean by fold outwards is they leave an area of nothing in each sector later, when they come out they are compact.
            Hola

Hello

Comment

Originally posted by BC - 303
              regarding the supergare, i reacon the peices expand in space, like they flod outwards to make themselves bigger, as seen that they small enough to fit through the stargate one minute are bigger then tel'tek's the next.

What i mean by fold outwards is they leave an area of nothing in each sector later, when they come out they are compact.
              That sounds pretty good.
              Didn't NASA want to do something like that with a space ship?

Comment

thats interseting, for those who dont understand my olding out, i dont mean metal expanding on contact to heat(natural), i mean like (this is the best metophor i can think of) A transformer, transforming.
                Just a question, is the daniel jackson smaller then the o'neill, because thats what my scaling sujests, as DJ = Ha'tak, but O'neill is much > Ha'tak.
                Hola

Hello

Comment

dude can you pplz make a ship scale that uses all this info....comon i wanna c wut the scale is!
                  Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                  Anime signature in spoiler tag
                  Spoiler:
                  Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Did anyone ever take into consideration that there are several versions of atlantis that are used for the show???

Rainmaker has a couple versions and other studio's have several as well. Each one of them is different in their own way.

Rainmaker modeled the original master city. They also made another version (alot less poly's) for specific shots. Rainmaker no longer does all the work for SG1 and SGA, so now there are other studio's that do the work, and they have modeled their own city's and ive noticed that the new ones (not modeled by Rainmaker) are scaled higher to look much bigger, which makes the original one look wrong.

Personally, I dont go buy the recent atlantis shots. I only go by the master copy used in "Rising", "The Storm", "The Eye", and "The Seige".

And there are 2 balcony's. The large one (which was seen at the end of "Rising" where everyone was talking), and then there is the smaller one (which I was referring too in my earlier reply) thats on the side of the gate room which can only support several people.

From my own calculations, Atlantis is only about a mile from one end to the other.

And the Daedalus landed on the water. NOT ON THE PIER. If it would hae landed on the pier, it would have crushed the towers and small buildings. If you look closely at the landing rendering, its hovering over the water, not the pier, and Bruce Wolshyn was saying in an interiew that he was excited about doing the shot where the Daedalus landed on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by O'Neil
                      Did anyone ever take into consideration that there are several versions of atlantis that are used for the show???
                      Yeah, I covered that in post #71 in this thread.

From my own calculations, Atlantis is only about a mile from one end to the other.
                      There's already an accurate scaling in post #83 in this thread. If you have different numbers, post your scalings so we can judge your work.

And the Daedalus landed on the water. NOT ON THE PIER. If it would hae landed on the pier, it would have crushed the towers and small buildings. If you look closely at the landing rendering, its hovering over the water, not the pier, and Bruce Wolshyn was saying in an interiew that he was excited about doing the shot where the Daedalus landed on the water.
                      Which episode? Post some screen shots.

Comment

Here's the scaling of the supergate segment coming out of the StarGate on Kallana in the episode Beachhead.

Due to the speed of the segments coming out of the gate, they're pretty blurry, so I outlined the gate and the sides of the segment to get the width.

Since Carter stated in the episode that they were 10 meters in length, that gives us dimensions of 3.8 x 10 meters.

I know some of you are positing that they expand or fold out once they get into space, but without a reference from the show it's just conjecture.

Comment

From now on, only the first post of mine will contain the updates for new sprites.

Ships added this update:
                          Replicator Warship
                          Wraith Dart
                          Puddle Jumper
                          Wraith Hive Ship

Coming up:
                          Wraith Cruiser
                          Ori Warship
                          You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the VFX guys re-use the ship models from episode to episode? I've done a bit tinkering with some 3d modeling software (nothing serious) but it just seems insane to re-model a ship every time you need it. So I would imagine the VFX guys build these ships then build their scenery and stick the ships in the scenery and move them around, add lighting, etc. The computer should then handle the scaling based on their distances. Now, when that all translates to film, I'm sure we lose some perspective.

The real scaling errors come in when we switch from Digital models to plastic models. The scene where the Ori ships are on the ground surrounded by little specs to represent people, was more about showing the numbers of people, not the size of thes ships. As a result, the true size of the ships was scaled WAY down from what it appears in the digital models.

Comment

Yes. The VFX studios can just save their work, until its needed again. remodeling an object would be a waste of time, and time is money!

Just remember, not all of the 3D scenes you see were all done by the same Studio, and just because you see a ship flying over a 3D landscape, doesnt mean it was all rendered at the same time. Sometimes, they render out the camera animation over the scene, then render out the ship flying, then put it all together in compositing. Sometimes, they will even have another studio model and render a ship, then send the rendering to another studio to have them composite the ship (or 3d object) into a live action scene.

Now.... about the length and height of Atlantis... The quote was found on www.thescifiworld.net but at the request of Bruce Woloshyn, the quote was taken off of the site, however, he did say that the length of atlantis is 1.3 kilometers, and the height of the center spire (starting at sea level) is somewhere in the 300 meter range.
                              Last edited by O'Neil; 26 April 2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Tiny update. Added my personal fav. Anubis's ship.

-LGBT-

Comment

Working...
                                X