No announcement yet.

Fear Her (2811/211)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed this episode in spite of or perhaps because of its simplicity... I think it touched something in me as a parent or maybe it's because the five year old was watching it with me...

I thought David Tennant was particularly good in this and unlike most people I LOVED the bit with the Doctor taking over from the torch bearer...

I liked this one much more than The Idiot's Lantern... and yet there were obvious parallels.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

The torchwood reference comes right after when the girl is talking to chloe webber when looking at the atlas. As soon as she finishes talking the word torchwood is said by the newsreader. If you are not listening carefully you can miss it.

Sig made by Leelakin. Thankyou
      Sybil: I Personally think that John and Liz Make a fantastic couple, they're just so full of sparkyness!

Basil: Can't we get you on Mastermind, Sybil? Next contestant - Sybil Fawlty from Torquay, special subject the bleedin' obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by Scaramouche
        The torchwood reference comes right after when the girl is talking to chloe webber when looking at the atlas. As soon as she finishes talking the word torchwood is said by the newsreader. If you are not listening carefully you can miss it.
        ah yes, you can only really make out the word Torchwood, but I think he is saying they may have to call Torchwood. The silly girl/alien is whispering over the announcer talking.

EDIT: You know for a secret organisation a heck of a lot of people seem to know about them! Are they meant to be more like the CIA, you know they are there and kind of what they do but they behave in secret?

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
          EDIT: You know for a secret organisation a heck of a lot of people seem to know about them! Are they meant to be more like the CIA, you know they are there and kind of what they do but they behave in secret?
          Well I think they were a secret organisation from their establishment in Tooth and Claw until 2006 (judging from next week's preview & TARDISode, which were awesome, by the way), but I reckon they'll go public very soon.

On topic: A reasonable episode. I have an annoying cousin who laughs at all the cheesy bits and the cgi stuff which really bugs me- he doesn't really get what Who is about. But I did think it was a bit of a cop out having the monster in the cupboard come to life, but never seeing it.

Comment

Apparently Im in the minority this week, but I really liked it, sure it was cheesy, but, duh, its Doctor Who! Its a shame to it, but Rose is no longer the companion guessing her next move, she has learned everything she can from the Doctor. The ending was great, the Doctor taking the flame and then the final scene as the Doctor sees that something is coming, and I think he knows that something will happen to Rose, back in SR he said he would never go without her, but he didnt seem so sure this time.

7/10
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I could have sworn the little girl had a picture of what looked like a black hole on her closet door, reference to the beast maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Ailikor81
                I could have sworn the little girl had a picture of what looked like a black hole on her closet door, reference to the beast maybe?
                Wasn't the drawing of her 'father' in the wardrobe more like the devil anyway?

Comment

A bit naff, worth it for the "I was a Dad once" line though. It was nice to see Rose standing totally on her own though, the Doctor provided the knowledge but Rose did all the work so to speak.

For me, the only way the Olympic Flame scene would be any good was if David Tennant went nuts and decided to try and wrestle it off the runner in 2012! That would be entertaining.

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                    Wasn't the drawing of her 'father' in the wardrobe more like the devil anyway?
                    I thought it was a picture of the beast, actually.
                    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I thought it just looked like a kids drawing of her father; not everything has to be related to other episodes folks.

Comment

It looked like her father drawn as a monster. Overbig, kinda lumpish and squat, glowing red eyes, big fists... The glowing eyes might have been a bit Beast-like, but that was the only bit that did.

On reflection, I'm thinking the carrying of the torch might have been a bit much. It seems very... public for the Doctor. He's more of a "just get on with it" sort of thing, but now people the world over are going to know exactly what he looks like... and in some ways that could be a very bad thing.

Also, if a stadium full of 80,000 people disappeared in the blink of an eye, would they really carry on with the opening ceremonies as scheduled? Wouldn't there be some kind of delay while police investigated?

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                          I thought it just looked like a kids drawing of her father; not everything has to be related to other episodes folks.
                          Oh yeah, I know. I wasn't paying much attention at the time. I was trying to cook my dinner as well, so I just "thought" it was the beast.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Mostly this was really good. It would have been entirely good if it had had absolutely no reference to the olympic torch whatsoever - every bit with the torch in it was corny, contrived and naff.

Moan over; the good stuff was really good. Nina Soysana is always watchable. The little girl was as good as a grown-up actor, you didn't have to keep making allowances for her youth. The drawings really looked like children's drawings (most children's drawings on TV look like adults have done them to look like children's drawings, and it bugs me and spoils suspension of disbelief so although that might seem trivial it was a big plus for me). The idea of people trapped in drawings was cool, and the scribblemonster cooler. Not entirely happy with the Dad subplot, but it wasn't bad. Loved the look of the asolus(?) creatures and the spaceship, loved the concept of the billion siblings in convoy. Will rewatch, but not the very end.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              On reflection, I'm thinking the carrying of the torch might have been a bit much. It seems very... public for the Doctor. He's more of a "just get on with it" sort of thing, but now people the world over are going to know exactly what he looks like... and in some ways that could be a very bad thing.

Also, if a stadium full of 80,000 people disappeared in the blink of an eye, would they really carry on with the opening ceremonies as scheduled? Wouldn't there be some kind of delay while police investigated?
                              Re torch-carrying - indeed.
                              Re stadium - quite.
                              Suspension of disbelief figured strongly in this one. Too much going on as well, didn't need the Olympic stuff in there really. Didn't like the Dad in the cupboard bit but loved the scribblemonster.
                              sigpic
                              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I think the 80, 000 people disappearing then re-appearing reaction would be along the lines of: "What do you do when a strange blue box appears out of nowhere? Nothing, you ignore it."

But on a larger scale so people would be more inclined to just ignore it. Very few people would ever probably mention it again. Except maybe to laugh at the poor commentator for being an idiot at looking at an earlier tape, cause 80 000 people can't just disappear.

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

Working...
                                X