• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love & Monsters (2810/210)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 28
    LOVE & MONSTERS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2810

A London man meets a group of people who are obsessed with the Doctor, believing that he saw him once as a child. But when they start working for a man with a hidden agenda, none of them is safe.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:37 PM.

I really didnt like it. It didnt feel remotely like a doctor Who episode, there wa slittle in the way of decent character moments, it wasnt even all that funny.

The only things that saved it were the couple of comic lines that tickled me, Elton's feeling of love towards the TARDIS, something many many whovians feel from time to time. The other bit was seeing the Doctor explaining why he was in Elton's home, the look on the Doctor's face was full of regret, well acted as usuall.

As for the comedy lines, there was the "We do have a love life" which was a bit of a *cough* moment, inapropriate, and generally I hate that sort of thing in Sci0fi *cough* Vala*cough*, and highly immature, but it just tickled me slightly, sorry... *sits in corner* . The other was of course:
    Doctor: Whats the twin planet of Roxicoricophalapatorius?
    Abslorbaloff (what a terrible name, at least it wasnt serious): Clum.

It just tickled me.

Seriously though, terrible episode:4/10
    Last edited by The Signal; 17 June 2006, 11:45 AM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Well it was never going to be any good compared to the last 2 episodes. Far too much Peter Kay being Peter Kay but at least that guy from Hustle was good. I'm all for them trying something new but more alien planets plzkthx.

Comment

Oh, and the Torchwood reference, just in case it wasnt blindingly obvious the first time they said it twice. I was far happier to hear the words Bad Wolf again.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

Well It was an ok episode but It didnt really work well.
          Although many congrats that Kid who design the Azorbaloff well thats a great creature I thought it was really cool and had the best line ever.

Doctor : Whats the twin planet of Raxicoricofallapatorius ?
          Abzorbaloff:Klum
          Really tho at the beginning when the Doctor and Rose were chasing the monster was I the only person who shouted 'Its Scooby Doo !!!'
          Next weeks ep doesnt look that good im just looking forward to Army of Ghosts.
          I givbe the episode on a whole around 4-5 out of 10. Mostly for the Azorbaloff which was cool but Doctor Who doesnt really work if it isnt from the Doctor or companions perspective.
          Really it was a bad episode. Almost as bad as New Earth but the Azorbaloff saved it.

One side note this is the second time in the 'New Who' that the autons have appeared and they havnt been called Autons in both episodes.
          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I really hated this one

I am not even going to consider this ep cannon! If it is mentioned or aluded to again I will put my fingers in my ears and hum loudly. All the characters annoyed me, especially Elton and Jackie, and the storyline was so lacking. It was just silly. This is the worst episode yet.

And the constant Torchwood references are so unsubtle.

What an incredible drop in quality from The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit to this ... urgh

*takes out demat gun and blasts the episode into temporal oblivion*
            Last edited by Wraith Scientist; 17 June 2006, 11:52 AM.

Comment

the episode was crap
              RTD crap

hated the alien, Kennedy should have been human

Elton geek girlfriend was annoying.

Way to campy. The ending was so pathetic with her face in a stone. Bwoark

And there should have been more doctor.

The Elton character was an intersting concept, but its execution sucked. Citizen Joe was better, and even that wasn't so good.

Worst ep ever.
              The Doctor Who equivalent of "The Tower"

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                Really tho at the beginning when the Doctor and Rose were chasing the monster was I the only person who shouted 'Its Scooby Doo !!!'
                Thank God, I thought I was the only one

Comment

Not your usual Who ep, that's for sure.

Pros-
                  Liked the Nod to Stargate with the Tardis in the hieroglyphs, LOL!
                  Marc Warren - yum
                  Peter Kaye as the alien was truly gross

Cons-
                  Short on actual Dr. Who screen time
                  Bit silly generally

BTW, I wasn't shouting 'Scooby Doo', more 'Benny Hill', could just hear that infamous bimbo chase music
                  sigpic
                  "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Liked Peter Kay
                    Liked the Absobalator
                    Likes Hustle guy
                    Liked Bad Wolf Virus
                    Even Liked Jackie Tyler, only later, when she was hitting on that guy it just made it worse.
                    Liked the Story idea

Hated the way the story was told, it was told so stupedly, 10 minutes of Dr who, and 35 minutes of Crap story telling. I mean the IDEA was golden, its the way they presented it was just poor.

The Scoobie doo bit was way to stupid personaly!!

I dont think Torchwood is ment to be suttle, i think its just ment to say that Torchwood know everything about Aliens and are a big organisation. It not like "what is the mystery of Torchwood" like it was with Bad Wolf last year, As we know the mystery of Torchwood, we found out in Tooth and Claw
                    Last edited by BC - 303; 17 June 2006, 12:00 PM.
                    Hola

Hello

Comment

well, that was ...different. I'm not sure whether I like it or not. But there were some points I drew from that:

1. When Elton was talking at the beginning about his "alien encounter" the way he said it sounded like no-one really beleived in aliens. Does this mean that they successfully mamaged to cover up the Christmas Invasion?

2. When Mr Kennedy was talking about the "Torchwood files" no-one asked what Torchwood was. When you take into account that in School Reunion's tardisode Mickey's screen announced that the page was blocked by Tochwood are we to assume that most people know of torchwood's existence?

3. Bad Wolf. Yay!

I also think I found a continuity error. At the beggining of the episode when Elton is filming his old house for his dicumentary style thing he has Ursula filming it, it even shows her hand. Surely by this time she had allready been turned into a paving stone.

I loved the Scooby Doo style thing (if they meant it to be a Scooby Doo homage, if not it was stupid)

Also a stupid point occured to me: what would happen if Ursala and Eltton were to break up?

Comment

Ok, My views.

Yes, definitely Scooby Doo at the beginning. *sigh*

I actually LIKED the style of this episode. The perspective of someone who's life was touched by the doctor momenterily was wonderful. The acting from Elton was fantastic. I loved the flash backs and history of The Doctor. But that's where the praise ends.

Negative stuff.

All I could see was Peter Kay! FFS! PETER KAY, they needed a different actor.

The character should have been human frankly, I suggested somebody who trades alien artifacts, trades to people like Van Statten.

The abzorblimoff was good. But not with Kay, and not for this episode. The chase was daft as well.

The ending was nuts. The slab daft. And frankly... GAH! Set up Rose's death nicely though.

As for Torchwood and Bad Wolf. I LIKE that the references are subtle to Torchwood, when the hell are people gonna get theyre not supposed to be as subtle as Bad Wolf. Torchwood is MEANT to be more obvious thats the FREAKING point. It's an organisation, secret maybe, but still a powerful presence.

ANd wow for the Bad Wolf, I didnt leand the previous speculation ANY creedence, but the Bad Wolf virus is fantastic. Im all excited.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Not really sure what to think about this episode. I'll have to watch it again to do a 'final verdict'. One thing is for certain, 'The Impossible Planet' and 'The Satan Pit' are still the best episodes of this season.
                          Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                            As for Torchwood and Bad Wolf. I LIKE that the references are subtle to Torchwood, when the hell are people gonna get theyre not supposed to be as subtle as Bad Wolf. Torchwood is MEANT to be more obvious thats the FREAKING point. It's an organisation, secret maybe, but still a powerful presence.
                            Problem is though, in The Christmas Invasion, Harriet Jones was one of few people that actually knew of Torchwood's existence, and even she wasn't supposed to know about it. Torchwood was an incredibly secret organisation that only a few people in top positions knew about.

But suddenly, in Love & Monsters, Torchwood seems to be public domain, and LINDA hacks into their files on the Doctor with seemingly no effort at all.

Maybe they went public?

Comment

The Absorbasloff thing... Blue Peter ran a competition to design a monster, and Kay's character was the winning design. So having heard in advance that the monster was designed by a ten year old, I didn't really expect anything more. As for casting, I think the whole episode was designed to appeal to that Blue Peter audience. They, for example, not only cast Peter Kay, who is a huge children's favourite these days, but also Shirley Hendersen who plays Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter films. It had a very childish feel to it, and though I really disliked it, it is no more or less than I expected from the winning Blue Peter episode.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                              X