• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Impossible Planet (2808/208)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 28
    THE IMPOSSIBLE PLANET
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2808

The Doctor and Rose visit a research base on the surface of planet held in orbit of a black hole, and are stranded with the researchers when the TARDIS is lost.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:33 PM.

Absolutely fantastic, the story and the writting were spot on. TTOby (thanks Tracy Jane) was one of the better villains recently, reminded me of Khalek from SG1's "Prototype". Acting was good as always form BP and DT, but the supporting cast were truly fantastic this time around. Most interesting of all was the music, the slow pieces played in the darker scenes, Scottie's death scene for example, reminded me of the music of Firefly. The only let down was the slightly dull Ood. 9/10

Cant wait for next week.
    Last edited by The Signal; 03 June 2006, 11:15 AM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

The Ood were a little predictable, unfortunately, you knew from the outset that they were going to be problematic. But a really interesting storyline, I swear this series is getting better episode by episode. Toby was very good, I agree. The discovery over Scootie's death was done awesomely and I can't wait until next week. I was slightly uncomfortable with a couple of the scenes which, despite the taboo surrounding doctor/companion shipping, seemed a little overtly shippy to me.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

this is the first totaly totaly un earthy episode in the new series, if you think New earth doesnt count.
        Hola

Hello

Comment

That was awesome. Reminded me a lot of Doom and the Oods eyes glowing red was a bit 'Robots of Death'. The scenes in the cave looked fantastic. I spent most of the episode trying to work out where I'd seen all the crew members before, they were all annoyingly familiar.

Comment

Well I'm loving this ep.

Great religious theme, with a *really* daunting enemy. It felt a little bit Stargate to me, anyone else get a stargate feel? Just a tad? Maybe? Anyone? Kay... Ill shut up. But seriously, not only the archeologist and all the runes and what not, but the idea of mixing religious figures and space and stuff... I kept thinking AH! So THAT'S where Sokar has been hiding!

Love the Ood and the references to legion and Cthulu btw.

NO TORCHWOOD REFERENCE *is happy*

I loved the dynamic between the crew, it felt like a real research station in the middle of nowhere. Kinda "Aliens"ish.

The opening of the (seventh?) seal was great too :-D

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Wow.....just let me compose myslef for a moment.......I can't believe what I have just seen.

Bloody fantastic! This episode had everything. Tension, Drama, Frights, Emotion.
              Very Very Sc

Part of me can't believe what I have just seen. As a massive Who fan, back in the dark days of the 90's and early 00's, an episode like this being back on the BBC seemed impossible. In fact, anything this sci-fi being not only on the BBC, but made by the BBC and being put out a 7pm on a Saturday is glorious. Definetly the most sci-fi Who has been since its return, with clear influences from American Sci-Fi shows of the past 5-10 years. Amazing

Did anyone else think it felt a bit like an Episode of SG:Atlantis?

In summary then, aboslutely superb. One of the best, most tense, most dramatic and most chilling episodes maybe of all time (Im trying not to go OTT in the heat of the moment but what do you expect after that piece of gold)

Ill add some more comments later but Ive got that post-Who buzz at the moment and all I can seem to do is run off superlatives

Comment

I think that's what I loved most about it, it had a real sci-fi feel to it, unlike a lot of episodes where you think "oh, cripes, British TV have massacred a really great idea". I don't mean any offence to Who, it's just that the resources and funding in the British TV industry are definitely lacking. Generally speaking, episodes fall flat in comparison to their American and Canadian counterparts, not because of writing, but because of the budgets not allowing for the necessary visual effects and so on. Tonight, however, I was floored, I was really pleased to see the BBC putting our TV License money to good use for once!
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

THis was a Brilliant Episode. Definatly feels like a doctor who episode, and they cut the episode off at a cruel point . The effects were brilliant, and the Idea of the episode its great, a black hole, no help from the tardis, and now also possibly 'satan and his cronieys'. I wonder how the doctor will get out of this one???

10/10, A brilliant epsiode Enjoyable from start to last. The speical effects were brilliant

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

OK...

1. Not sure how they're going to get the TARDIS back(though you know they will).

2. Some got reminded of Gate...I got reminded more of Event Horizion.

3. Never too comfortable when things get shippy.

Overall hmmm...not sure about this ep. Will judge it again after the second part next week.
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Oh what a different feel than any of the previous Dr Who episodes this season, all I can say is that it feels more sci fi than fantasy, the idea of being stuck in the middle of nowhere was the selling point for this, in last episodes the Dr and Rose remained behind to help others but now they are out to help themselves and get back home, somehow I can't seem to shake the fact that the Tardis has something to do with the whole thing.

>Science station idea was great, a real gritty feel and quite a la Alien feel to it which was intentional of course.
                      >The Ood were predictible and aside from the many puns that came in the episode the Ood were odd in a way that the episode could have survived without them and they play a role that is somewhat shrouded in mystery and for me seems pointless.
                      > Danger is what the episode is all about, the peril was cool and the undeground scenes (filmed in a quarry at nigh) were believable to the point that it made the scenes down there feel immense for such a TV show.

So I'll just end by saying I hope the follow up is just as good if not better and it's handled with care and is believable in terms of the demon!
                      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Gravel Quarrys!!!! A Classic Who fan's dream!

I think the ood are very required theyre forming the Army of Satan, and definitely have some Lovecraft conetations.

Finally... Rose is getting SO annoying I really would like her to die.

As for Dt... cool space suit.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Best ep recently!

Now my 2nd fave of the season behind Reunion.

The Ood were telegraphed a bit, yes. I mean hey, you can never trust a group of people that say they're there only to serve...haven't these folks seen any horror movies?

The one moment of inappropriate laughter was right at the start...'we must feed...we must feed...' I immedidately shouted out "It's a cookbook! How to cook humans!!!"

I loved that it was a completely non-terrestrial ep. That was desperately needed to bring a bit more of the galactic nature of the Doctor to the show.

It was great build up and I really lost track of the time. As the seal was opening and the credits ran I was completely shocked to realize 45 mins had gone by and it was going to be a 2 parter.

Impatience!!!!

The scene with Toby and the Voice was just awesome! Real old time 'Prince of Darkness' cool.

Loved the ep. The only real problem I had was with the dialogue provided for Rose. Sometimes the write her to be intelligent and quick to grasp the obvious but when storage 6 was destroyed, she was written to not have a clue despite the obviously dire situation!!! Balance her character's intelligence please!

definately out of
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

This ep was 10 shades of awesome. Some seriously great stuff going on here. An interesting story, some great character moments, some awesome (very Firefly-esque) music, tons of atmosphere, and a fantastic cliffhanger. It even uses the ever effective Gabriel Woolf (voice of Sutehk from "Pyramids of Mars") as the voice of The Beast.

One complaint, though: THE KILLED SCOOTI!!!! Damn them!
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

The scale of the underground cavern was incredible. It looked good too, there was a real dilapidated beauty to it. The research station sets were really realistic-looking.

Story good so far. I've high hopes for next week.

I liked the Ood. They look properly alien, and that speaking ball they hold is a neat touch. I didn't mind that it was totally predictable that as biddable willing slaves they'd inevitably turn dangerous. I was watching with my five-year-old and it's good for him to learn these things for himself, just like he has to learn about not saying "no turning back" or "nothing could possibly go wrong now"

Great acting from the additionals, especially the archaeologist. I loved it just before he got the writing on him, the terror was palpable. I liked Zak too, he's losing control of the situation in exactly the same way as any fully qualified and experienced captain would (there's surely no What To Do If The Beast Rises And Becomes Legion On An Impossible Planet page in the captains' handbook) but he thinks he's losing it because of his own inexperience, and it makes me want to hug him and tell him he's great just like the Doctor did.

Best of all, IT WASN'T ON EARTH. Second best of all, IT WASN'T IN ORBIT AROUND EARTH EITHER. And third best, NOR WAS IT IN ANY OTHER PART OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X