• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Idiot's Lantern (2807/207)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 28
    THE IDIOT'S LANTERN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2807

The Doctor and Rose find a hostile alien entity in 1953 England, who is using televisions to literally feed on the minds of unsuspecting viewers.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:33 PM.

Huh... has no one else posted yet?
    Sooooooo... that means I get to be first... *erupts into childish glee*

I enjoyed this episode for different things but came away feeling that there was an underlying feeling of unevenness... Was it some kind of social commentary of families in the 50s... or a moral tale preaching the potential evils of television... or how easily they suck the viewer in?
    Obviously there was a lot happening in one episode which I think exacerbated the episode's problems because it trivialized the resolution in the attempt to tie up all the threads in 45 minutes.

However, next week's episode looks terrific... we are apparently going to be graced by some Pakmara lookalikes... or is it the Cthulhu?
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      Huh... has no one else posted yet?
      Sooooooo... that means I get to be first... *erupts into childish glee*
      WSOD I think EL, well it kept me away.
      I enjoyed this episode for different things but came away feeling that there was an underlying feeling of unevenness... Was it some kind of social commentary of families in the 50s... or a moral tale preaching the potential evils of television... or how easily they suck the viewer in?
      Obviously there was a lot happening in one episode which I think exacerbated the episode's problems because it trivialized the resolution in the attempt to tie up all the threads in 45 minutes.
      You took the words....

I really felt it was pulling in too many directions and there was an under use of some of the characters, Magpie for example, I mean did I care when he died? No.

I also didn't really understand the big bad. What was the wire meant to really be? Just another alien?

The resolution was uneven in as much as they just got their faces/brains/minds back *just like that*

I think this was the weakest episode so far of both the 9th & 10th.

But I loved the young boy Tommy, it would be nice to see him going on adventures in the T.A.R.D.I.S one day.

Comment

I felt this was far better than the last two weeks, but I agree some of the characters were under used, IMO they should have had a 1 part cybermen episode, and done this as a 2 parter, and there was certainly enough material for it. The wire was unusual, a basic, and not well explained villain, but odly unnerving at the same time.
        I was really hoping at the time, the Doctor would have made some sort of comment about transmitters before climbing it, and was disapointed to see that there wasnt, although according to DW Confidential, it was there at first.

Overall score 7/10

Favourite quote: Its never too late as a wise person once said, Kylie I think.
        Last edited by The Signal; 30 May 2006, 06:39 AM.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Michael Rennie was ill the day the Earth stood still..........

Sorry but that tune has been running around my head since I watched it

I liked this because it was cheesy, shlock, B movie Sci Fi right from the time Brad and Janet *Ahem* sorry the Doctor and Rose stepped out of the Tardis to the time Frank...um...Mr Magpie climbed up the RKO...er... Alexandra Palace transmitter (I've been to Ally Pally a couple of times, I'm sure that staircase was specially built). It was rushed and could have done with being a two parter, I loved Maureen Lipman as 'Auntie Beeb' we could do with more villans like her, I'm not sure if I like the emotional Doctor or not. If you watch this episode with your tongue firmly in your cheek this is great TV, Loved DT with a DA IMO the only thing it was missing was Richard O'Brien and a big pair of lips

.....At the late night, double feature picture show-ow-ow

Comment

I guess I need more in my cheek then.

Comment

Very fun episode. Rose criticising the guy over the union flag, the fingers round your elbow thing and the Doctor getting punched had me laughing. Maybe would have been a bit better and more sinister if the wire hadn't been shouting feed me but never mind.

Comment

Wasn't terribly engaged by this ep. The screaming & ranting of the dad seemed way too overboard. In fact, the Doctor seemed to do quite a bit of screaming, too. And The Wire's repetitive "Hungryyyy" came off as more annoying than anything else.

I did like Tommy and I half-wished that he'd get invited to go along on the TARDIS... or that he would end up having some significance later on in history.

I was also mildly disappointed that the faceless people were restored- I think it should have been a permanent thing, although as soon as I saw Rose get attacked, I knew it wasn't gonna happen. *sigh* Would have been the perfect time to replace Rose with Tommy, though.

BTW, was I the only one trying to see in-references to Life on Mars? LOL! Two decades too soon, I know, but the whole "D.I." thing got me wistful...

Comment

Originally posted by in circles
                  Very fun episode. Rose criticising the guy over the union flag, the fingers round your elbow thing and the Doctor getting punched had me laughing. Maybe would have been a bit better and more sinister if the wire hadn't been shouting feed me but never mind.
                  Yeah, the "Feed MEEEEE" was rather cheesy

Again, no Torchwood references in this one
                  EDIT: Yes there is

Can't wait for the next ep - It looks awesome. Set on a planet other than Earth for a change, and features aliens (the Ood) which seem to coexist with the humans in the 'Empire'.
                  Everyone seen the Tardisode?
                  Last edited by Wraith Scientist; 28 May 2006, 08:09 AM.

Comment

This was definatly one of my favourites. Next weeks episode looks brilliant, it would finally be an episode with a classic Who feeling to it, other planet, blackhole, brilliant looking aliens. Cant wait for that one. I was a bit confused by 'The Idiots Lantern' though, The alien didnt really have a proper name, just called itself 'The Wire' all the time. 9/10
                    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

'Feed me' is straight out of Little Shop of Horrors BTW.
                      Not a good ep. Boring and stupid. Suppose it might have picked up, I didn't hang around for the end.
                      sigpic
                      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

TBH... I just kept thimking: "Rose has totally gotten above her station. You're a companion fcol, ACT LIKE ONE!" I don't know about you... but just HEARING about Torchwood is getting a little infuriating... I want some physical, yet enigmatic involvement on their half. I was depseratly hoping the police officers taking away victims were Torchwood... it seems they were only taking their orders from them.

I did however like the car chase. Who says Doctor Who doesnt have high speed chases in it!? :-D

Rose was just annoying.

And personally, I think the Doctor should have pretended to be Security Service...

However, yes... Girl In The Fireplace still beats this one.

Next weeks looks good I think though.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm neutral on this one.

Liked the idea behind The Wire, but seemed implemented really poorly. Could have been better done as a recurring villain to learn more about it or in a more futuristic setting.

I loved the Dr's comment about Rose's mom dating a sailor...'oh i bet she did!'

Again, this ep resolution seemed rushed, though did laugh when he specified betamax.

Magpie and the dective both seemed wasted. Either one could have had an interesting development (well....as much as can in 45mins), but with both having to have screen time, neither really got used well.

on the whole outta
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Just caught the episode, my thoughts;

1) It's only the Union Jack when hung at sea? I had no idea.

2) Feeeeeeeeed me!!! Wow, I was expecting Audrey 2 from Little Shop of Horrors to pop out!

3) Rose was finally getting into it. Was liking that she had some spunk in her, then all of a sudden she had no face and was pushed a side so a little boy we'll probably never see again could get a push in storyline. If I were Billie Piper I would probably wanna leave the show by now just out of boredom! She can't be that excited to go to work these days....

4) Timelord or Human, there is no living organic thing that could stand upon an opperating TV/radio tower that long without getting their insides cooked. That would have killed those two in a matter of minutes.

5) Didn't see the moon or any Torchwood referances, but I did hear the word 'beautiful' spoken when it probably didn't need to be...

6) I get a big kick out of TV writers and producers who make fun of their industry. The title, 'Idiot's Lantern', is an obvious swipe at the television. If RTD doesn't have that much faith in television, why does he work in the buisness? In fact, the name 'Idiot's Lantern' really had nothing to do with the episode. The name 'CRT of Terror' is actually a more fitting name. Or maybe 'Tube of Trouble'. How about 'Eraser Head'?!

7) I knew The Doctor liked the Beatles, but had no idea he was a fan of Elvis. 1953 London? That not only predates Elvis (who really got started around 1954), but it predates Bill Haley's 'Rock around the Clock'.

8) I totally LOVED the fact that The Doctor wanted to celebrate by hanging around the common folk. He didn't want to hang out at the fancy parties. No. He wanted to hang around the comman man (and woman). Those are the people that The Doctor has always releated too. Testify!!

10) Did the Doctor and Rose actually get out of that Alternate Universe? It was never actually said. Could they still be in the Alternate Universe now...? Ok, now I am really nit-picking!!!

Overall, a better then average Doctor Who episode. I liked it better then those Hollywoodesqe Cybermen episodes that was filled with too many coincidences.

God Save the Queen
                            My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
                            Build a Dalek
                            Build a TARDIS
                            Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                            The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Yes they DID get out of the alt uni, at the end of Age of Steel they visited Jackie in her flat.

And the Torchwood reference was subtle and in the background with the cops saying something like "with torchwood on our backs as well".

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X