• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Age Of Steel (2806/206)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 28
    THE AGE OF STEEL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2806

As Lumic rounds up all of London to be "upgraded" into Cybermen bodies, the Doctor, Rose, and Mickey join an underground resistance led by Mickey's parallel self. Rose and her father, Pete, risk their lives to try and save this world's Jackie Tyler.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:36 PM.

A massive improvent on last weeks dreadfull first part, the emotion, the action and the comedy all in there. It was far from the best of the revival, but still very good. Mickey's farewell was done perfectly, and the DT played the Doctor's reactions to it perfectly (there was so much pride in his expression). I felt Pete's reaction was spot on when he found out he had a daughter in an AU, had he welcomed her with open arms I would not have been pleased, I just doubt thta he ever wanted to be a father, and the Pete we got in Father's Day was just the result of him being softened by Rose and his paternal instinct.

There was the bad acting of Lumic, and the Cybercontroller wasnt as good as he could be (and the NOOOOOOOO was just abismal). Killing Rickey was also very predictable.

Still, there was absolutely nothing special about it.

Rating 6/10
    Last edited by The Signal; 28 May 2006, 02:25 AM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

It was a great ep. Shame about the cliffhanger tho asit was just resolved far too quickly.
      But I loved this ep.
      The Cyber Controller was so brilliant. He looked so call all shiny and with all those glowing lights. This ep was much more Darker then the first part and it helped change the mood.
      They killed Rickey !!!! and Mickey ended up driving away in a van with that guy from Byker Grove.
      Poor Jackie. She got Cybernised !!!!!!!!! I was like OMG at that point so crazy !!!!!
      The Emotional Cybermen moment was so Cliché . Very Bride of Frankenstien but it worked anyway.
      The Doctor did a little more this ep which was good. Although I didnt like how quickly the cliffhanger was resolved.
      And Rose had her emotinal moments.
      No Torchwood mentions this ep, Thats good since we had two last week.
      Mickey was great in this ep finally living up to his potential. You kind of feel that its a shame he had to go. Oh well.
      One Question... Why no Alternate Doctor ????
      Next weeks ep looks well interesting Tv Monster people !!!.....
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I miss Mickey! *cries*
        The cliffhanger was silly. Saw the solution coming seven days ago when I realized he was holiding the crystal in his hand. Since when do people surrender with their fists closed, anyway? :-P

But other than that? Wow. Just wow. Another one for the "awesome" category.

Comment

Loved this ep.

When the Cyber controller came out i said; "I wonder if hes gold..."

I dont like Mickey that much so i was actually doing a little jig when i realised he was leaving.

All in all it was a great ep!

9/10
          Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
          LOVE HIM-> DT
          ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

You could see the ending with Mickey coming a mile off and I laughed at all the wrong bits but it was a lot better than last weeks. The Jackie bit was straight out of 'Spare Parts' but that did it a bit better. Thank god they didn't bring up the gold weakness and for once the Cybermen came off as threatening and not totally useless.

Comment

great episode, the cliff hanger was resolved to quickly though, but the cyber men were much better and more scary and dark in this one, and i like the parts where you couldn't tell if the cybermen were 'awake' or 'asleep'/'dead' 9/10

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

as the ninth doctor would say "fantastic", loved this episode, i thaught the jackie bit made the cybermen seen very sinister, seemed like doctor who should be, my 12 year old sister was terrified throughout the whole episode, as the younger viewers should be, i loved it, the cybermen where far better than the borg could ever be, the factory was also very clever and quite scary.

Comment

Hmmm...

1. OK...a lot of people here predicted Mickey's fate.

2. Jackie Tyler turning Cyberman? Ouch!

3. Once the Cybermen converted Lumic of their own accord I started taking them seriously - still not dead cert they'd get into my Horde of Terror but will keep a space open in case they make future appearances.

4. In "Rise of the Cybermen" it was mentioned that Jackie wanted to put off having kids...and then it became too late. I've got a feeling the "don't want to know" from Pete was a case of "why didn't I have kids". Let's face it, he knew Rose wasn't hanging around.

5. Bit too emotional at the end for my liking, but then again, I guess they had to establish that they did return to Rose's reality.

6. Great work from 'all' the good guys here!
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

That was a good ep, but sooo sad. Poor Pete, he loses his wife and then Rose messes with his head by telling him that she - bright, resourceful, kind, affectionate, brave - could have been the daughter that his wife never had because of her figure. Poor, poor guy.

Mickey. *Sob* and *Woohoo!*. I'll miss him, he's a great character, he really grew on me and Noel Clarke deserves much praise. But he never really felt as if he was happy. Now he's a hero instead of a tin dog, and he's got his Gran and a friend and a purpose, and a blue van. And someone else's parking tickets.

The bit with the cybermen regaining their emotions was painful to watch. Imagine waking up to find that your brain is inside a tin can . The "getting married tomorrow" bit would have looked massively corny to me if I'd seen it in a script, but when it came from the metal head it was so incongruous and shocking that it wasn't a bit corny.

Next week's ep looks fab and it's got Maureen Lipman in it and she's wonderful. But WHEN DO WE GET TO SEE ANOTHER PLANET please, Mr RTD?

Madeleine

Comment

Glad you all liked this episode. Any one want to post a more detailed summary? I just noticed they changed http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/ to "Ricky needs you!" Did they just do that?

Comment

erm thats been like that for a good 5/6 weeks.
                        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          Next week's ep looks fab and it's got Maureen Lipman in it and she's wonderful. But WHEN DO WE GET TO SEE ANOTHER PLANET please, Mr RTD?
                          Technically, New Earth was another planet...

But anyway, I thought it was a great episode- very atmospheric. Although I think that metal staircase is the exact same one they used in Rose and New Earth.

Although TBH I was expecting something different with Mickey- I was thinking they'd have Mickey die, but Rickey pretend to be Mickey to spare the feelings of Rose and the Doctor. Then when they left he could go back to being Rickey and they'd think Mickey was still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by sg1niner
                            Glad you all liked this episode. Any one want to post a more detailed summary? I just noticed they changed http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/ to "Ricky needs you!" Did they just do that?
                            It happened last week when RotC aired, it changed to "Mickey needs you" when S2 started.
                            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by in circles
                              You could see the ending with Mickey coming a mile off and I laughed at all the wrong bits
                              I always laugh at the wrong bits, that's why I never seem to feel very emotional about these episodes.

I have to say there were at least two places I found myself almost 'almost' scared but nah it didn't quite have me. Now a little kid would probably have nightmares.

Yes we all saw it coming with Mickey, I am not sad he is gone but then how long is he gone? Really.

Still don't care too much about Rose and her Dad storyline maybe because they (her Dads) never stay and are not likely to, so I can't really make the commitment to care about what happens to them.

It was a little spooky seeing Jackie as Cybermen (man ).

Comment

Working...
                              X