• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise Of The Cybermen (2805/205)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 28
    RISE OF THE CYBERMEN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2805

The TARDIS falls through a crack in the universe and into a parallel reality, where an ailing corporate tycoon named John Lumic is plotting to conquer the world -- and cheat death -- with his latest mechanical creations.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:36 PM.

I thought this ep was great. To me, it felt a lot more old-school Who. It was nice as a viewer to be aware of the plot and watch the Doc having to figure things out. The scene with the homeless folks being converted to Cybermen to the tune of 'In the Jungle' was just distubing, I loved it, especially watching the reactions on my kids faces - they were totally creeped out (as was I).

Not to sure about RLPs portrayal of Lumic, seemed a bit 'odd' and I couldn't get over the Davros thing. Not such a light-hearted episode and lacking the ususal 'fun', but I thought it was brilliant. The cliffhanger was excellent, loving the lack of a trailer for next week, good on the Beeb for keeping us in suspense. We need more 2-parters!

*edit* LOL, just had my youngest up...she'd had a nightmare about the Cybermen (she rarely has nightmares). Love it!
    Last edited by Egeria; 13 May 2006, 04:42 PM.

Comment

OMG This episode was FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Perfecting moments of spine-chilling terror and laugh our loud humour altogether. So Brilliant !!!!
      Those Cybermen so beautifully reallistic not the silver nemesis anymore . So fantastic although I have a little niggle on the fact their mouths light up when they talk but aprat from that they are basically perfect !!!!!!!!
      Rose the Dog was great I laughed alot there expecially with Rose and the Doctor's reaction !!!
      Rickey, Londons most wanted !!!!!
      in the jungle the mighty jungle people are cybernised !!!!!!! seriously I was rolling on the floor and laughed so hard I cried.
      10/10 utterly fantastic.
      ANd they didnt have an episode preview for next week which is good cos it lets the suspense last all week !!! I cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!
      And I know for sure that I wont get Bluetooth XD
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

It was good but it really could have done with a bit more happening. The Cybermen should have shown up a bit earlier and there was too much of Jackie and Pete basically repeating what they said in Fathers Day. The Cybermen look awesome though and for once they're creepy and threatening. Lumic wouldn't have been out of place hamming it up in a Tom Baker episode.

Comment

"You will be deleted" lol this was a fantastic episode different then the Dalek one though as i was more psyched on seeing that one. Maybe because this episode was kind of spoiled as its all over the news and all :-/ but still very cool.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

The CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP is actually scarier than the "DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!" if you ask me.

Great ep. I had a feeling it was going to wind up being a two-parter and that I was going to be very annoyed by it. LOL!

I absolutely LOVE Rickey/Mickey. Nice to see him finally being filled in as a character. The scene with Gram was very touching. Dunno who the spike-haired kid is who's working with Rickey, but he's kinda cute. I have a feeling he isn't gonna survive, though. *sigh* Interesting to see how much... stronger? More self-assured? Rickey is compared to Mickey. I hope Mickey takes a few pages from his counterpart's book.

I didn't find the Pete/Jackie stuff repetitive, I saw it as more of a "some things are inevitable" thing.

Loved the Doctor laughing at Rose the Dog.

Comment

One thing I found particularly interesting is the fact that Mickey's AU counterpart isn't actually evil. It's become such a stereotype to make the AU version of good characters evil baddies; I like how this Mickey is actively opposing Lumic.

Good episode, although at times a bit too much about the non-main characters. I'd have liked to see more of the Doctor. *shrug* Love the scene where he breathes life onto the crystal. Ten years of his life, worth every second, hehe.

Interesting that Marc Platt got thanked in the end credits, presumably for his audio drama Spare Parts (Fifth Doctor). I'll have to listen to it again sometime.

Comment

that was awsome, i loves that the alternitive mickey is called rickey and is less of a coward, rose the dog was funny, and the cybermen where very cool, dare i say far better than the borg ever where, especially with the new visual effects although i think thay may have a problem if thay
                Spoiler:
                come up againced the daleks in episode 12/13 if thay can only electricute
                i wonder whwre torchwood is if the cybermen are working to take over the world, there was a mention of them but no appearence...
                all in all very cool episode and i cant wait for the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                  I thought this ep was great. To me, it felt a lot more old-school Who.
                  It's pretty much what I thought as well.
                  I'm probably in the minority here but I like this episode more than the previous one (even though that was a terrific story) and I think it boils down to the fact that I watch Dr Who for monsters, cheesy villains and a good romp. I think that there's a part of me that is still strenuously resisting any suggestion of the Doctor romancing chick of the week, which is strange when one considers that I came to Dr Who in my late teens.

I rank this episode second only to Tooth and Claw in terms of narrative and I didn't at all feel any lag in pacing. I liked the fact that the story took its time to develop and that we didn't get to see the Cyberman until much later. I didn't mind the cheesy villain and I accredited his affected way of talking to his increasing meglomania and complete physiological degeneration. Unlike many others, I liked the inclusion of the Tylers into this story... which I thought was pretty nifty. The Mickey/Ricky angle was quite hilarious. What's with Ricky by the way... he seems to have difficulty moving his mouth when talking...

Guh... didn't Tennant look great in a tux... which begs the question of why hasn't any incarnation ever done so previously?
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I really really loved this, they had it so right, even with Rose the dog. Suspense, humour sentimentality and horror! Well that song was pretty bad.

It had everything including a dead T.A.R.D.I.S Actually can someone explain this to me... Doesn't the T.A.R.D.I.S have two or three consoles? Are they all linked? Has RTD just thrown that handbook out? I know I don't get the time/dimensional thing, never do too confusing for me *makes my little head hurt* I just thought if you blew out one you could use another and what is with the light thing anyway? That was a little too easily solved IMO.

Originally posted by Egeria
                    Not to sure about RLPs portrayal of Lumic, seemed a bit 'odd' and I couldn't get over the Davros thing.
                    OMG! I know, I wish they hadn't done it like that, I haven't seen the confidential yet so anyone know if they talk about the similarity? As for his portrayal a little too cheesy evil guy for my liking but I guess it worked if you believe he is NUTS!
                    *edit* LOL, just had my youngest up...she'd had a nightmare about the Cybermen (she rarely has nightmares). Love it!
                    Oh I mean that is terrible.

Comment

Looks like im goning to break from the norm on this one. (this is partially copied from my review on Outpost Gallifrey)

Well, I can say, without a doubt that this was the absolute WORST episode of the revival yet. It was flat dull and uninteresting. It felt inhuman, the Doctor brushing off the death of the TARDIS in an instant and neither Rose or Mickey bothered abut being in a world world that is not their own, and being stuck there forever. And that was just the first few minutes!
                      The story was a basic Cybermen episode with little going for it. They tried to ge the feel of a classic episode, and IMO they failed, the Faux Classic Who feel felt as the 1996 Movie did, synthetic and forced. The suspence was based around the Doctor figuring things out, and yet there was so little of that about, he spent longer keeping Rose in check than anything else because nothing actually happened to make him suspect anything until near the end.
                      Pete was nowhere near as likeable as he was in Fathers Day, and everything that episode achieved has been tainted IMO. Jackie was plain pathetic, it was like watching someone else try to act her character out. Terrible writing for her.
                      Rickey. The Rickey scenes were badly acted, Noel is better than that, and all he did to get into another character was scowl and grit his teeth, so yeah that makes him totally new.
                      David Tennant was far from on form, last week he was so perfect it was fantastic, this week it was as though he was fresh out of school with nothing more than a GCSE in Drama, this was certainly not the work of a man classically trained.
                      Rose's need for a father, which was possibly the highlight of her character last year, was very weak if you ask me. Yes she went against the Doctor to get what she wanted again, whoich would have been good had it been done well, but it simply wasnt.
                      Mickey on th other hand was a delight to watch. His tearfull reunion with his Grandmother was a little over done, but at the same time the levels of emotion are certainly called for. Strange that Noel played a disapointing role, and a very good one, in the same episode.
                      I wont even go into the disgraceful performance of Lumic, he was badly thought out anyway, but seriously I dont know what they were thinking casting a comic actor as a villain.
                      I cannot blame the actors. Why? Because they are better than that, they are some of the best actors on British TV, so that can only lead to one inevitable thing. Writing. And lo and behold, the writer was a fresh new writer who had no experience with the characters.
                      The whole thing was a waste of time IMO, and an insult to the Cybermen of Classic Who.
                      I can only hope that the second part is a better episode.

Rating: 1/10 - And that is simply for Mickey's reunion with his grandmother.

Favourite Quote: "To Be Continued" Was possibly the best part of the script
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Steady on Ptah. It wasnt that bad.

Comment

Yes you do have the right to speak your mind. Although in this case it is a little harsh .

Comment

Well I liked it

But then, I'm easily pleased. If I'm entertained then it's good in my book.
                            My only problem (actually with the series is a whole) is the voices they give the daleks and the cybermen are sometimes kinda hard to understand, so you really gotta pay attention to what they're saying.

Comment

I was hanging out at OG last night, and there does seem to be quite a split of opinion on this ep. Fair play to you Ptah, it'd be boring if we all agreed with each other. Better to state your honest opinion than just agree for the sake of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X