• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Girl In The Fireplace (2804/204)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 28
    THE GIRL IN THE FIREPLACE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2804

The Doctor and his companions find a fifty-first century ship dead in space, with many portals into different points in the life of a woman in eighteenth century Paris. With the ability to visit the girl, Reinette, throughout her life, the Doctor must discover why the ship's clockwork androids are after her.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:32 PM.

I really enjoyed this ep.

The premise was interesting and the final resolution was great. I loved the clockwork bots and their programming to repair the ship was greusomely funny. Smells like bbq.

I'd like to see more eps like this, with some well thought out villains. Could be a great follow up ep somewhere down the line where we can find out what the ship was and why it was there in the first place.

However, I'm starting to get a bit tired of the whole 'humanizing' of the Doctor.

I found it acceptable in the last ep with Sarah-Jane as it was a great bridge tween the series and a good wrap for her character, but repeatedly giving this sort of personal interaction seems wrong. The Doctor was always above the involvement with his companions or character of the week. His ability to move on unhindered when all else was changing was part of what made him the Doctor.

Maybe that's just me.

Also, didn't Steven Moffat also do writing for Coupling?
    Strange combination of writing credits.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Haha! Loved this *surprised I know* I didn't get all of it but I assume it makes sense to most people 'the whole French thing'. Nice, interesting idea, and the shot at the end was great nice exit to bring it all together.

How much sci was sacrificed for the fi in this? Not sure but I am willing to go with it as long as I am entertained and I certainly was with this.

What was the stuff with the mind probe (what do we call it?) I know he has done it many times before but I didn't get it, is he 'Bad Wolf'? Is this some kind of dark secret RTD wants to explore? Someone clue me in already.

I really do not want to say 'kirking' (I am seriously joking when using that term people ) but what is going on with all these women? For centuries nothing then 3 come along all at once! I think The Doctor has always been 'human' in his compassion and the way he relates to humans but the femfatle (?) thing? I can really do without it, that makes 4 or 5 kisses in two series, now how many all up in the previous 26?!

I liked Mickey in this, he actually reminded me for a moment of David Lister from Red Dwarf when he was looking at that eye thing. Rose *poor* Rose, she really needs to learn that The Doctor isn't hers.

Horse! Lol I loved that, I can see the Icons now!

Next week...can't wait!

Comment

Oh, this was so beautiful. A modern fairy tale, complete with monsters and a mythical hero, all mixed in with a tragic love story. This wasn't just great Doctor Who... this was great television. This everything I wished Doctor Who could do. I really did cry at the end of this. It's just that wonderful.

Beautiful.
        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

It's become abundantly clear to me that my opinions of the episodes tend to differ greatly from the vast majority of fans over at Outpost Gallifrey (the classic Whovians, and apparently 99.9 % men). What they seem to love about episodes, I just don't care for, and vice versa.

This episode is a good example: it plain bored me. Thank goodness I was watching it with four friends, who made some rather funny comments at times, otherwise I'd probably have felt like watching the clock!

Disappointment one: no musketeers. Okay, so when I heard they were going to France, I thought it'd be around the time of d'Artagnan and co. No such luck.

For Mickey's first trip as official companion, he should've gotten more to do, IMHO. Rose, too, for that matter. Yes, I know I know, classic Who demands the Doctor is the center of attention, and the assistants are just that. But, sorry, we don't live in that age anymore, and I just expected a bit more development there.

Madame de Pompadour? I dunno, I'm sure Sophia Myles is a fine actress, but... Fans are all over the place shouting this was real emotion and drama, yada yada, between the Doctor and the Madame, but I just didn't see it. Any of it.

The clockwork robots just weren't scary. At all. Compared to a little boy walking around, calling out "Are you my mummy"? No contest.

It felt a bit too much like Casanova at times. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I just noticed it (the music, the costumes, the settings, even the horse, and especially Tennant's acting), and my best friend nudged me during the end credits and said "Someone's been watching Casanova for inspiration!" So it wasn't even just me.

I'll rewatch the episode a bunch of times, though, and I'm sure I'll come to appreciate it more. I usually do. Fact is, I didn't care for The Empty Child the first time I saw it, either. Maybe it's just Moffat's writing I need to get used to.
          A 2.5 out fo 5 for now...

Comment

I enjoyed this... more than I thought I would...

Looking at the trailers last week, I was a bit "meh" about it especially as it was obvious that the Doctor was going to be kissed... again... But it was surprisingly good... and Sophie Myles was mesmerizing... Really. She carried herself with great dignity and natural intelligence -- the perfect person in my opinion to play Madame de Pompadour. While I wasn't in tears over this one, I thought it was a lovely story with a whimsical quality to it. Some posters elsewhere mentioned Peter Pan resonances and I think they're spot on. The story does make a lot more sense when you think about it in those terms. The Doctor as Peter Pan works for me... particularly because it is played by David Tennant.

I think they're really pushing the lonely god/traveller line this season... which is understandable if he is now really the only Time Lord left. I have no problems whatsoever with the writers exploring that side of the Doctor. I am still a bit "iffy" about romance in Doctor Who... but I'm glad that the Rose/Doctor angle is gradually being downplayed even if it's through using once-off encounters. Still, I think Mdm Pompadour and the Doctor makes a lot more sense to me than the Doctor and Rose as a pairing.

I'm really enjoying this season so far...

Next week...
            Spoiler:
            Cybermen!
            Woot!
            Last edited by Easter Lily; 07 May 2006, 03:39 AM.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Dallista
              It's become abundantly clear to me that my opinions of the episodes tend to differ greatly from the vast majority of fans over at Outpost Gallifrey (the classic Whovians, and apparently 99.9 % men). What they seem to love about episodes, I just don't care for, and vice versa.
              Not sure I get your point? I am not able to read between the lines here. I am a long time fan and this 'new' series is so different to the classic series but that doen't bother me because I have grown up and moved on and the old style and story lines would never cut it today, I am also a realist we live in a time when the lead actor needs to be seen as attractive so I will go with what they are doing but not always like it.

Why would you want Musketeers? Now that would be a cliche of the old Who.

It felt a bit too much like Casanova at times. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I just noticed it (the music, the costumes, the settings, even the horse, and especially Tennant's acting), and my best friend nudged me during the end credits and said "Someone's been watching Casanova for inspiration!" So it wasn't even just me.
              Well same actor same producers same BBC... nuf said.

Comment

A very good episode.
                Loved the clockwork robots they scared the pants out of my little bro which was a laugh.
                Not only did this eppy have all these horror and suspense moments (the ship with a heart - literraly) but there were quite a few laughing moments (No Doctor you can't keep the horse. Why? you kept Mickey). I thought it was great that Madame P called the Doctor Fireplace man alot which was funny and she kissed him not he kissed her.
                Mickey didnt do much and Rose was on the sidelines too. But Arthur the Horse was great !!!

Next week CYBERMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                  But Arthur the Horse was great !!!
                  I loved the horse! I don't even like horses but it was so silly you had to love it. I wasn't fussed with less Mickey, I am one of those that wondered why have him tag along anyway *huh* not my call, I am sure he will be 'used' in later episodes to great effect.

I liked that there was overall less of Rose too, she is only the companion after all.

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                    Oh, this was so beautiful. A modern fairy tale, complete with monsters and a mythical hero, all mixed in with a tragic love story. This wasn't just great Doctor Who... this was great television. This everything I wished Doctor Who could do. I really did cry at the end of this. It's just that wonderful.

Beautiful.
                    That just about sums up how I feel. I loved this ep, even more than last weeks. I don't understand how some folks reckon that the clockwork baddies weren't scary? My kids were totally creeped out by them (and not alot scares them). I am loving the series sooooo much, never thought I'd say this but DT has completely won me over as the Doctor (sorry Chris).

Comment

I loved this episode, it is definately my favorate one with the thenth doctor and is a candidate for my favorate episode ever. What I don't get though was why was the fireplace on the ship. was it just because it belonged to the Madame De Pompadour or was there another reason?

Comment

oh my
                        this was great
                        but recently I have noticed Douglas Adams references: first there was the "very Arthur Dent" from the Chistmas one, and now the Horse near a time machine...

I loved this, I really like how we're getting the emotions coming over - he is now not only more dark and broody but he is also lonley.

And he's a party animal.

what's not to love

Favourite lines:

He's the King of France!

I'm the Lord of Time (or thereabouts)

priceless!
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Thank god GW is back, I've been stuck with the people over at outpost Gallifrey (they use terms like "Jump the Shark" completely wrong, and start fic threads as fact, its like a forum full o' n00bs!) not all of them of course, but a good deal of them are. (no offence to any of the people here who go there, but you uys will know what I mean)

Anyway.I cba to write a long flowing review. So I'll shorthand it.

The Doctor, emotional at the end, pulled off to perfection.
                          The Doctor drunk, pretty damned hilarious!
                          Rose and Mickey, needed to do more
                          The horse, should be the next companion!
                          The clockwork robots, while they lacked the sinister edge and seemed more like a classic sci-fi killer robot, very nice.
                          Madame de Pompadour, a class act, well acted, you really got the feeling of love for the doctor.
                          The idea: Very good, shows up 51st century programming of robots sucked bigtime and gave the Doctor something new to do.
                          Emotions, this carried on from last episodes little bit about the companions dying, and how the Doctor reacts to this, great.
                          Niggles: Mickey and Rose might as well have not been in it.

Favourite Quote:
                          Rose: Oh no, your not keeping the horse
                          Doctor: Why, you get to keep Mickey!

Score: 9/10
                          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I hate my sister so damn much. She Knew I had this episode set up for timer record because I was at work but she unplugged the TV then re-plugged it back in just so the timer record wouldnt work. I cant believe I missed this episode. I was planning on taping this whole series aswell. Was this Doctor Who episode good? I had already taped 'New Earth', 'Tooth And Claw' and 'School Reunion'.
                            Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Was a good episode, but so far probably my least favourite of the season.

The ending was really sad though, and I guess it backs up the point made in last weeks episode as to why the Doctor tries to not get too close to people. He saw her whole life go by so quickly, got to know her, and then she just died while the doctor hadn't aged a day.

Edit: There wasn't a torchwood reference, was there? I mean, this was before it was all set up, right? Doesn't look like there'll be one next week either.
                              Last edited by Jonzey; 07 May 2006, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X