Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: School Reunion (2803)

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W View Post
    (Although yes, ghetto in the UK is rather different to the american ghettos. We'd all wait nicely in a proper queue to get shot by the ghetto druggies, and we'd do it in a suitably random mix of metric and imperial. )

I really liked this ep. I am young enough to have seen some of the Tom Baker eps, but all I really remember is a man in a really long scarf and being absolutely terrified. So, for me to feel a connection to Sarah Jane & K-9 is a testament to the talent of the people on screen.

There were dsome great lines in this ep. Award for most intense was the pool scene where the doctor talks about being old & not giving more than the one chance (shiver). Award for the one most likely to make you laugh till milk comes out your nose has to go to Mickey, "I'm their man in Havana, their technical support I... OH MY GOD, I'm the TIN DOG!!!!" Although,, Rose & Sarah Jane dishing about the Doctor's personality quirks was pretty hilarious, too.

Anthony Head was fantabulous, even batlike in his movements, bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
    Okay, so Housing Estates are the British equivalent of Projects. This means...Rose is supposed to be Ghetto? She doesn't SEEM very Ghetto. Maybe ghettos are different in the UK.
    Not sure entirely what a ghetto is...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    Not sure entirely what a ghetto is...

From my experiences living in one of the cities that's bolded.
    Here in the US, a ghetto is mostly located in the inner cities (NY, Chicago, LA, ...etc). They are mostly State/Federal ran, where some people who are on some sort of assistance (State/Federal welfare, food stamps). And these are usaually large blocks of apartments, ranging from 2-12 stories high.

It also has a negitive connotation here, as it's more of a state of condition. Run down areas, poor housing, and the such.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCroix View Post
    From my experiences living in one of the cities that's bolded.
    Here in the US, a ghetto is mostly located in the inner cities (NY, Chicago, LA, ...etc). They are mostly State/Federal ran, where some people who are on some sort of assistance (State/Federal welfare, food stamps). And these are usaually large blocks of apartments, ranging from 2-12 stories high.

It also has a negitive connotation here, as it's more of a state of condition. Run down areas, poor housing, and the such.
    Cheers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_estate

Sounds similar to a council estate, but very different as well...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Second Lieutenant Thermonuclearboy's Avatar

Well, I suppose "ghetto" isn't the most accurate word. In America we have "Housing Projects" and/or "Housing Developments" which are pretty much analogous to British "Housing Estates." "Ghetto" is more a cultural thing than a physical thing. Tough urban working-class neighborhood, often with a lot of crime and poverty...that's a ghetto. You may find Projects IN the ghetto, but the Projects are not the ghetto in and of themselves.

...not sure if that made any sense...
    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
    What have these years left to me?
    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Quote Originally Posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
    Well, I suppose "ghetto" isn't the most accurate word. In America we have "Housing Projects" and/or "Housing Developments" which are pretty much analogous to British "Housing Estates." "Ghetto" is more a cultural thing than a physical thing. Tough urban working-class neighborhood, often with a lot of crime and poverty...that's a ghetto. You may find Projects IN the ghetto, but the Projects are not the ghetto in and of themselves.

...not sure if that made any sense...
    No it did. Thanks.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Behind the *new* bar. What'll it be, stranger?

Again, only okay - got better as it went along. Great to see the return of an old companion and her reaction to seeing the TARDIS. I liked the ending when Sarah Jane and K9 walked off into the sunset, lol aww.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily View Post
    *sniff*
    *reaches out for more tissues*

Sarah Jane Smith... K9... What else is there to say? *sniff*

I LOVED Sarah Jane... she was always one of my favourite companions along with The Brig... Ian and Barbara... So that last ten minutes was gold... pure gold...

The alien of the week story was pretty much by the numbers but it was the Sarah Jane/K9 reunion that made it extra special. Still, all that time of watching Dr Who, I never once thought there was romance in the air. Watching her with Pertwee then with Baker... I could see some kind of bond between them but my romance radar never went off. It does make sense that there would be some feeling there, something that the show never delved into previously.
    I'm glad that this occasion gave them both some kind of closure.
    Mine either. That was a bit weird to me. Of all the episodes to forget to turn on until it was over 1/2 way through. I just don't make a point to watch the new Dr. Who. Sarah was my favorite companion. And I really liked K9 too, so it was great to see them back.

Just watched (or caught the end of this ep as it were)

Now - I never watched the old series - i havnt kept up with the new series all that much (i dnt watch tv much)

But I cried! I was upset! And I'm proud to say I was effected by some good ass writing
    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Chief Master Sergeant kimberlyrose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Egeria View Post
    Favourite line - "Kenny blew up the school", for some reason that tickled me.
    My new favorite quote from Doctor Who is Mickey's "It was dark! I was covered in rats!" That's really something you don't hear every day.

Lightbulb Re: School Reunion (2803/203)

I watched this episode for the first time not too long ago. Though I like Sarah Jane and K-9 a lot, I can understand why Sarah needed to emotionally break away from the Doctor. It ain't just about Sarah Jane having her own show.

It is sad but sometimes holding on to your love or friendship for someone can actually hold you back and prevent you from growing into the person you need to be, want to be, and were meant to be. It's all about the process of moving forward because in the end, you can't hold on to the past.

Default Re: School Reunion (2803/203)

i agree and well said. i love this episode having one of the doctors old companions back was great.i liked rose and sarah fighting about the doctor then becoming friends and sharing information on there time and pointing out his faults lol poor doctor.

Second Lieutenant

Cool Re: School Reunion (2803)

Quote Originally Posted by The Signal View Post
    Favourite Quote: "You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I cant spend the rest of my life with you"
    OMG that quote was incredible, I almost cried.
    But it doesnt make sense (or mabye I am too new to the fandom)................. shouldn't the doctor be the one that lives forever and rose dies like any other human. WAIT does it have something to do with the regeneration...?

That was an interesting ep. I hope they explain more of the importance of SJS and K9 because well I am new to the fandom. Likewise to bad wolf, I am slowly seeing the word 'torchwood' in every ep of this series. One thing that bothers me is that Mickey joins the time travelling duo... i find him annoying.. oh well. Other than that good ep. AND AND AND if Tennant was my physics teacher I would faint.. end of story.

"Physics. Physssics. Phyyyysics" xD
    Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
    - Doctor Who (series 7)
    - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
    - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
    - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
    - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Cool episode, if creepy. Those kids at the computers were the worst. K-9 is cute though!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

My opinion hasn't changed in the last two years...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456