Clear All

The Adversary (215)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
    "The Adversary"

"The Adversary"
    Ep: 2.15
    Release Date: April 13th 2006
    Written by Alex Rubit

When Colonel Grant finds himself stranded on an unknown planet, his survival skills are put to a test as he faces a dangerous adversary.
    Outstanding
    14.29%
    Good
    57.14%
    Fair
    28.57%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

"The Adversary" will be released in less than 24 hours. I'm keeping the episode thread open for discussion, or as long as the episode isn't out perhaps speculations.

Comment

Isn't it supposed to be out now?
      Rocky

Comment

Hmm, interesting episode. At first I thought it was going to be similar to the Defiant One, but you certainly managed to make it different. However, don't you think it's a little repetitive? First you have the Aschen rebels, then Sivok rebelling against the other Draque, now the Enoly have got their share of rebels.

It just seems like every evil group in the galaxy has to have some good guys in it. What happened to good old fashioned evil?
        Don't you want to look beyond the horizon?

In the 2 hours and 14 minutes that Torri Higginson was online, there were 272 posts in the Elizabeth Weir Wow Thread. I was responsible for 2 of them. (Oh yeah and Gateworld crashed, but that's not important)

Please click here to feed the hungry, protect endangered land, and help fight breast cancer without spending a penny (inspired by the Whistler 84 in Memoriam thread)

Comment

I said the same thing at first when the idea with Kevahsh came to be, but there are a few things I realized at the prospect of his people.

I wouldn't consider these Enoly rebels, per say. At the moment they just seem to be Enoly that are oppressed by the Empire.

Second, if one really thinks about it, it would be nearly impossible to find a society in which there is complete uniform thought. You will always get a few people who disagree, and whether or not one chooses to act on that is up to them.

As far as the degree of envolvement these folks'll have in the future, I can't really say, because I haven't the faintest clue.
          Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
          Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
          Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
          Stargate Destiny, Fan
          Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

I was just wondering if you have a script supervisor checking over the stuff, 'cause I noticed that you said "It's sensor image looks disturbingly familiar..." and "it's" means "it is," whereas "its" is the possessive form.
            Rocky

Comment

I'm not sure if Justin still does it. I will be looking over "Convergence" personally for next week so that I'll hopefully catch all errors. I usually don't get to see the final version until release.
              Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with mentalmichael on this: it's like everyone has to have rebels in this galaxy!

Just keep these people weak enough to be near-useless and hope this all plays out...
                This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

They've said that all they're interested in is peace, and to be isolated from everything else. That certainly doesn't seem rebellious to me. They don't want control, they just don't want to be a part of something.

Anyway, very good episode. Much better than last week. I just wish that the other life forms could have been explored more! They're really cool, and probably related to the little shiny energy bugs from "Prodigy."

Overall: ***

Comment

As it was said here, these Enoly are definitely not rebells. They're just a group of Enoly that doesn't serve any "purpose" in the Enoly society. The Enoly society itself is split up into various groups, where the various species each have their own purpose. This has its pros and cons; i.e. a Mediator would never be allowed to be a warrior, since only the Alphas are meant to do that. In a way, it's quite similiar to how Plato's ideas for an "ideal society" work. The fun thing is that the Enoly society is to a certain degree very similiar to that. It works in that every species has their place, and there are tons of species. We've only met some of the really important onces so far. So there are bound to be some that are over, and the question would come up what to do with them.

I had to bring up the Plato reference, by the way. Some people might have already known that I have quite a hang for philosophy. I love getting deep.

So, it's just reasonable that there wouldn't be room for each of the various Enoly species. In addition, the way today's societys work is that the poor are often needed for the rich to even make it - for what that's worth. So, these Enoly could be described as the "poor".

As far as good old fashioned evil goes, we do have the Sentinels, who are quite simply evil itself. Other than that, I just don't find having just evil villains (without any shades of gray) very interesting. It tends to get rather two-dimensional. So, even the Enoly themselves aren't actually evil. On the contrary, they're much rather acting out of what could be described as quite a superiority complex. They think they're superior to other life forms in the galaxy. I guess having evolved from "fish" to a humaniod life form has gotten a bit to their heads. But seriously, deep down they're on the one hand very compasionate toward each other. In "The Enoly" we've found out how much they care about their children, and how concerned they are about them. And in addition to that, each of them kind of have their own agenda, which will become much more clear later in the season actually. And like Mike said, I don't think that having a species that consists of billions of individuals each being on the same side, and evil in a way, would work too well.

And as mentioned, these fellows are a lot of things. But definitely not rebells. As far as their future involvement goes, who knows those kind of things at this point?

With regard to script supervisors, Justin is still looking over each of the episodes.

Comment

Well it was good. Better than last weeks. I enjoyed it, nice to see your cutting down the length. I liked the introduction of a redudant Enoly sub-species. Be interesting to see Kevashsh return, maybe not his race but just him. I would have liked to have found out more about the creatures as well, maybe have had Grant had more run ins with them.

It would have been nice to find out a little more about Grants past. It seemed like such a perfect episode to reveal maybe another occastion in which he had to be alone and survive.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Man I was right this was a very good episode. It glad to see that some Enoly Species doesnt like the enoly. So I hope we will get to see more of the rebel fraction in Season three speaking of which i bet you guys will start working on season 3 a little bit after the finale of Season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit
                          The Enoly society itself is split up into various groups, where the various species each have their own purpose. This has its pros and cons; i.e. a Mediator would never be allowed to be a warrior, since only the Alphas are meant to do that. In a way, it's quite similiar to how Plato's ideas for an "ideal society" work. The fun thing is that the Enoly society is to a certain degree very similiar to that. It works in that every species has their place, and there are tons of species.
                          To me, this type of society is very similar to the one described in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

I had to bring up the Plato reference, by the way. Some people might have already known that I have quite a hang for philosophy. I love getting deep.
                          Me too. Lets see more stories in the future with multi-layered subtext. The deeper you look the more meaning you can find and more connections you can make to other philosophies and beliefs. When you can spin stories like this, the archatypes tend to resonate in people's psyches on a subconscious level and the reader often walks away from the story enjoying it more because it touched on themes we all can relate to.
                          Chase: "I'd like fish-sticks for lunch!"

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit
                            I thought you were referring to the cave. Plato uses a cave in a metaphor to explain what truth is, although it's not really related.

Comment

Never was a philosophy nut myself. I appreciate it, but I never looked into it. The different classes of Enoly are intriguing. Aside from Kevahsh's people we've met:

Alphas
                              Kah'Lohnah
                              Females
                              Loral (seems to be a class of her own)
                              Mediators
                              Children

And then there's this mysterious Regent who's been mentioned once or twice. Wonder when we'll see him.
                              Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

Working...
                              X