• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Earth (2801/201)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 28
    NEW EARTH
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2801

Five billion years in the future, the Doctor and Rose visit a hospital facility on humanity's new home world. While the Doctor visits the dying Face of Boe, Rose's body is possessed by none other than Cassandra, whose brain survived their last encounter.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:37 PM.

I like David Tennant soooo much as the Doctor. But I haven't time to post about him, this is just a bump post to get the thread noticed

Madeleine

Comment

I loved that! The last five minutes reminded me a bit of 'The Doctor Dances', with it's quick-fix ending, but that didn't detract from it at all! It was great seeing the Face of Boe again, although his exit was slightly cheesy (but isn't that why we love Doctor Who?).

Billie Piper completely blew me away in that episode. Not just because of how stunning she looked, but her portrayal of Cassandra. Man, can she act! David Tennant was brilliant too - loved the 'Watch out for the disinfectant!' scene.

I'm glad they included Mickey and Jackie at the beginning - that was perfect continuity from The Christmas Invasion.

I wonder how many people sat up and said "They took that from Futurama!" when the Doctor said "New New York".

Wow, this was my first post on GW for a while!

Comment

Whoops, sent Darren a PM with details for this before it was bumped, oh well, we need the folder anyhow. I will quote in my comments in a moment.

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
        So anyways, David's Doctor is pretty great still, he has all of the energy of the older Doctors, and he has a quick temper, no nonsence, no discussion, very different to the Ninth Doctor. Him as Cassandra, brilliant! But as for the Doctor, very appealing, its took all of ten seconds to settle into him this time around, even though I felt "Yeah this is good" in The Christmas Invasion, there was the doubt in my head that it wouldnt continue. His speaches are brilliant, when he goes into angry mode he is bursting with power.

I think Billie did a bit of a duff job as Rose, but as Cassandra she was great, lets hope she picks it up, IMO it felt like she was showing off to the Doctor a little perhaps thats what she meant in which case well done to her.

My Rating - 8/10 - it looses marks for Billie's work as Rose and the 10 seconds of "Oh dear" I felt when they first ended up on New Earth.

Favourite Scene: So many to choose from, either the disinfectant scene, or the Doctor confronting the Sisters Of Plentitude and Cassandra, drama and character over comedy, so its the Doctor confronting them wins out

Favourite Quote:

Doctor: Now that is enigmatic, that is textbook enigmatic that.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

*waves to hywel*

Brilliant ep! Billie stole the show for me, she was awesome.

Sat here in a happy place now.

Comment

Oh Wow, Billie Piper was excellent in this and so was David Tennant, I think DT's Doctor is going to have a bit more of a sense of humour.

Was it me or did the "We Can Hear the Machines" line sound chillingly like the Shadow enhanced Telepath from Babylon 5

Nice to see Zoe Wanamaker get her face on screen this time too

I can't wait until next week, bring it on

Comment

David Tennant was great as was Billie but the plot was a bit iffy. They really need to turn the music down too, I could barely here some of the dialogue.

Comment

Did anyone catch the Torchwood Referance? I didnt but... maybe it was in there.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

It was pretty good, not as good as "The Christmas Invasion". I wish they'd slow down the pace a few 100mph though. The resolution kinda felt like hitting a reset button to me.

I'm actually looking forward more to next week's episode. Broken spoiler tag? I didn't see any spoilers.
                  Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 15 April 2006, 12:11 PM.
                  "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

i loved the ep i thought DT makes a great doctor!!!i thought the plot was witty and well writen i'm looking forward to the next ep. wooooooooooow the doctors back baby!!!!

Comment

Apparently there will be a sequel to this episode in S3, once again on New Earth with its characters, so Im guessing the Sisters will return. My guess is it will deal with the fallout of the hospital coming under new control and some sort of civil war involving the New Humans and New New Yorkers. Perhaps we will see the face of Bo for the "third and final time" though I would like to wait a while before we find his secret (Which, rumer has it, is four words long), possibly until the 11th Doctor (so 2 or three years) *Cue Face Of Bo's Secret Speculation Threads*

Comment

I had high hopes and...wow! I loved the episode!
                        David Tennant is a very talented actor and brings a lot of energy to the role, which he's managed to make his own already. Add his darn fine good looks and that great 'geek chic' outfit...yup, I'm in heaven.
                        The special effects and make-up, etc seemed better than last series - in fact, everything had a better, more polished look.
                        I thought the cat nurses worked well and the lift decontamination scene was hilarious.
                        I was pleasantly surprised by Billie Piper revealing that she really is a talented actress - her portrayl of Cassandra in Rose's body was brilliant.
                        DT's Cassandra possession was great fun and I liked his dark, angry confrontation with the Sisters.

I could be here all night listing the bits I liked...since, well, I liked pretty much every minute of it! So I'll leave it there, just adding that I can't wait to see the next episode! I watched the behind the scenes thing of BBC3 and the clips of future episodes have fuelled my excitement!
                        Argh! 7 days to wait for more!

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                          Perhaps we will see the face of Bo for the "third and final time" though I would like to wait a while before we find his secret (Which, rumer has it, is four words long), possibly until the 11th Doctor (so 2 or three years) *Cue Face Of Bo's Secret Speculation Threads*
                          IMHO I think that the Face of Boe and his secret will be this year's "Bad Wolf"

Comment

I must say that was a good opener to the new season...who am I kidding, I thought it was completely fantastic.

Both David and Billie did some terrific acting in that episode and how can I not post here without mentioning in some slight way about the disinfectants.

I'm now really looking forwards to next Saturday. Oh and also tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                              IMHO I think that the Face of Boe and his secret will be this year's "Bad Wolf"
                              Nope, its not, the arc word this year is
                              Spoiler:
                              Torchwood

Comment

Working...
                              X