No announcement yet.

Orpheus (704)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe they were fake candles. You know, the ones they often allow in care homes for the elderly.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

LED candles? Maybe so. Those do look amazingly like real ones, with no fire danger.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
        LED candles? Maybe so. Those do look amazingly like real ones, with no fire danger.

Seaboe

Comment

Average episode, but I liked very much the final scene with Daniel and Teal'c. Could not help thinking, that this was not just about Daniel coming back, but also about MS coming back, taking into account that he once said, that before leaving the show, he was not aware that his character had such an impact on the whole show and the fans. So all the words being spoken by Daniel in that scene could very well also have been those of MS at that time. Don't think, that the analogy is just in my head, but was actually intended.

Comment

I never considered that before.. Makes for some interesting thoughts.

Comment

It is bugging and I need to ask - what is the movie that Carter is talking about in the gym?

It sounds familiar but I'm not sure it is a real film.

Cheers

EDIT: Is it SIGNS?

Also wouldn't it have made more sense for Teal'C to have been shot in the back coming through the Stargate? Because the Iris should have been closed to stop the energy blasts but it was just left open for Jaffa to come through.

EDIT 2: I also just noticed that Gary Jones is listed in the credits as "Technician" according to this site? Wasn't he given a name in "2010"? Or this a running gag because O'Neill didn't know his name in that episode?

Also, how come Jones gets listed it the opening guest star credits? What are the rules concerning this - is it a certain amount of screen or dialogue that he has that qualifies him?

It isn't a criticism - I'm just curious about how that works in TV in general and Jones seems an ideal example to use to explain it.
              Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 24 September 2015, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I didn't think Gary was in the guest star credits, but in the small role regular characters.

Apparently, if you watch his name patches, Gary's character's name changed over the course of the series from Norman Davis to Walter Harriman.

I believe the role is listed as "technician" because there were a number of actors they could get to play that role (although as time went on they used fewer and fewer).

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                  EDIT: Is it SIGNS?
                  Yes, I think it was.

Also, how come Jones gets listed it the opening guest star credits? What are the rules concerning this - is it a certain amount of screen or dialogue that he has that qualifies him?
                  Where an actor's name appears depends on the contract they signed and how well their agents were able to negotiate.

Certain places have more weight, and having an "as" to your name also carries more weight.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                    I didn't think Gary was in the guest star credits, but in the small role regular characters.

Apparently, if you watch his name patches, Gary's character's name changed over the course of the series from Norman Davis to Walter Harriman.

I believe the role is listed as "technician" because there were a number of actors they could get to play that role (although as time went on they used fewer and fewer).

Seaboe
                    No, Jones always appears among the weekly guest stars and that listings usually ends with "And Teryl Rothery as..."

I don't understand why the fact that other actors also filled the chair leads to the Jones character to be only known as "Technician".

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Yes, I think it was.
                      Thank you.

Where an actor's name appears depends on the contract they signed and how well their agents were able to negotiate.
                      I hadn't thought of that. I'd assumed it was something to do with actor union rules or such

Certain places have more weight, and having an "as" to your name also carries more weight.
                      Do you mean "and"? The "and" carries weight but I don't think an "as" does. For example, in Game of Thrones Season 1, "and Peter Dinklage" alerts audience to the fact that Dinklage may be last in the list but that he is someone of note in cast and that he is fact a co-lead with Sean Bean like Rothery isn't just another weekly guest star mixed in with the rest - the "and" set her apart.

Comment

Do you mean "and"? The "and" carries weight but I don't think an "as" does.
                        An "as" carries weight to. I recently did a rewatch of a nineties show called Christy and there's one actress who appears in the middle approximately and has an "as [character name]" attached, and she didn't always appear in the episodes.

Comment

The 'as' reminds the audience that somebody is back on track (short and long term).
                          It has been rumoured that money counts as well.
                          CARPE DIEM
                          ANJA

Comment

An "as" carries weight to. I recently did a rewatch of a nineties show called Christy and there's one actress who appears in the middle approximately and has an "as [character name]" attached, and she didn't always appear in the episodes.
                            Rothery's position in the credits is a place of distinction - to highlight that she is a recurring character of importance.

Adding in the character name helps it stand out a bit more, but isn't important in itself.

Comment

Adding in the character name helps it stand out a bit more, but isn't important in itself.
                              If the character name isn't important than why would David Hewlett's agent bother to have it added to his name in the credits.

Comment

If the character name isn't important than why would David Hewlett's agent bother to have it added to his name in the credits.
                                What makes you think the agent did this?

And as I said above - it isn't important in itself, it just helps the name to stand out more on the screen.

When Hewlitt and Rothery go for auditions, do you think the casting directors are saying to themselves "Holy moley, this cat's characters name appeared on screen with their real name!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X