Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Orpheus (704)

Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: Orpheus (704)

It is bugging and I need to ask - what is the movie that Carter is talking about in the gym?

It sounds familiar but I'm not sure it is a real film.

Cheers

EDIT: Is it SIGNS?

Also wouldn't it have made more sense for Teal'C to have been shot in the back coming through the Stargate? Because the Iris should have been closed to stop the energy blasts but it was just left open for Jaffa to come through.

EDIT 2: I also just noticed that Gary Jones is listed in the credits as "Technician" according to this site? Wasn't he given a name in "2010"? Or this a running gag because O'Neill didn't know his name in that episode?

Also, how come Jones gets listed it the opening guest star credits? What are the rules concerning this - is it a certain amount of screen or dialogue that he has that qualifies him?

It isn't a criticism - I'm just curious about how that works in TV in general and Jones seems an ideal example to use to explain it.
    Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; September 24th, 2015 at 04:36 AM.

Major

I didn't think Gary was in the guest star credits, but in the small role regular characters.

Apparently, if you watch his name patches, Gary's character's name changed over the course of the series from Norman Davis to Walter Harriman.

I believe the role is listed as "technician" because there were a number of actors they could get to play that role (although as time went on they used fewer and fewer).

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
    EDIT: Is it SIGNS?
    Yes, I think it was.

Also, how come Jones gets listed it the opening guest star credits? What are the rules concerning this - is it a certain amount of screen or dialogue that he has that qualifies him?
    Where an actor's name appears depends on the contract they signed and how well their agents were able to negotiate.

Certain places have more weight, and having an "as" to your name also carries more weight.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I didn't think Gary was in the guest star credits, but in the small role regular characters.

Apparently, if you watch his name patches, Gary's character's name changed over the course of the series from Norman Davis to Walter Harriman.

I believe the role is listed as "technician" because there were a number of actors they could get to play that role (although as time went on they used fewer and fewer).

Seaboe
    No, Jones always appears among the weekly guest stars and that listings usually ends with "And Teryl Rothery as..."

I don't understand why the fact that other actors also filled the chair leads to the Jones character to be only known as "Technician".

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Yes, I think it was.
    Thank you.

Where an actor's name appears depends on the contract they signed and how well their agents were able to negotiate.
    I hadn't thought of that. I'd assumed it was something to do with actor union rules or such

Certain places have more weight, and having an "as" to your name also carries more weight.
    Do you mean "and"? The "and" carries weight but I don't think an "as" does. For example, in Game of Thrones Season 1, "and Peter Dinklage" alerts audience to the fact that Dinklage may be last in the list but that he is someone of note in cast and that he is fact a co-lead with Sean Bean like Rothery isn't just another weekly guest star mixed in with the rest - the "and" set her apart.

Do you mean "and"? The "and" carries weight but I don't think an "as" does.
    An "as" carries weight to. I recently did a rewatch of a nineties show called Christy and there's one actress who appears in the middle approximately and has an "as [character name]" attached, and she didn't always appear in the episodes.
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

The 'as' reminds the audience that somebody is back on track (short and long term).
    It has been rumoured that money counts as well.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Chief Master Sergeant

An "as" carries weight to. I recently did a rewatch of a nineties show called Christy and there's one actress who appears in the middle approximately and has an "as [character name]" attached, and she didn't always appear in the episodes.
    Rothery's position in the credits is a place of distinction - to highlight that she is a recurring character of importance.

Adding in the character name helps it stand out a bit more, but isn't important in itself.

Adding in the character name helps it stand out a bit more, but isn't important in itself.
    If the character name isn't important than why would David Hewlett's agent bother to have it added to his name in the credits.

Chief Master Sergeant

If the character name isn't important than why would David Hewlett's agent bother to have it added to his name in the credits.
    What makes you think the agent did this?

And as I said above - it isn't important in itself, it just helps the name to stand out more on the screen.

When Hewlitt and Rothery go for auditions, do you think the casting directors are saying to themselves "Holy moley, this cat's characters name appeared on screen with their real name!!!"

What makes you think the agent did this?
    Because it would mean better recognition. I would compare it to having a special seat in the cinema (if such a thing existed).

Everything about an actor's contract is negotiated by their agent so...

Chief Master Sergeant

Because it would mean better recognition. I would compare it to having a special seat in the cinema (if such a thing existed).
    Such a thing does exist but beyond making the name stand a bit more on screen, it doesn't actually mean anything.

Like in those auctions, such a thing means nothing. To a casting director, what would matter is that the SG-1 producers wanted Hewlitt back a second time so obviously they liked working with him.

Everything about an actor's contract is negotiated by their agent so.
    True, but what makes you think it wasn't just the policy of the show on certain occasions.

True, but what makes you think it wasn't just the policy of the show on certain occasions.
    Because it's usually accompanied with a higher paycheck.

Airman

Having seen this episode for the first time, and with a seventeen year stretch, I enjoyed it very much. I liked the plot of Te'lc's angst over his new physical limitations with Daniel's concerns about being a mortal again.
    It was really Daniel's episode, but Tel'c was a good mirror.
    The theme was about taking action despite doubts, and not standing aside.
    Also, I think everyone had a good part. Bra'ac, Rayek, Carter, etc. Really solid writing. Even the blonde Jaf'fa had a power...evil, perhaps, but he has to make sure goals are met. The false eye was especially effective.
    O'Neill taking the sniper rifle and waiting for the right moment was dramatic, and caught the frustration of attack and striking at the right moment. Again, reinforced the episode's dramatic concept of using your MIND. Daniel felt when he was not human, he used his mind too much. He has to be in the world, and make a difference, to be the existential hero and act. Daniel is readjusting to being human. I think he's seeing the initial wisdom he had earlier (in Abyss), is getting a reality check. He can't be an indifferent observer. He's getting back to his old self.
    The special effects on the ship blowing up were good, but the effects and action didn't overwhelm the drama and script.
    what a great example Bra'tek is. He really inspires. I like him much better then any of the 'higher vision' types in the Abyss.
    Also, using mortars was very effective. As Col. Anthony Herbert said, one of America's most decorated combat soldiers, it's an infantryman's dream weapon. Silent, kills, and is portable.
    Nice to see the Jaf'fa rise up and escape. They've had a bad time the last few episodes.

Okay, Teal'c can be quite the drama-queen.

"Oh noes, I have lost all my superstrength. I'm useless now."

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this episode. It feels like they were writing one story. Came up short and added an extra chapter as an afterthought. So either Teal'c's injury and loss of his mojo was the story, and Rya'c and Bra'tac's predicament the afterthought or vice versa. Daniel remembering the link between the two.

In that regard, I'm inclined to say it was a rushed job and they could have done so much more with this.

However, the redeeming qualities of this episode, for me at least, are the funny moments between Jack and Daniel when they have their "peppy" talk with Teal'c. Or Daniel translating the Goa'uld's dress down of the guards. Or Sam tearing holes in M. Night Shyamalan's film (which clearly amuses Daniel -- he's right though, why watch when you're just gonna pull them apart later -- then again, I do that with films dealing with historic events ).

The bonding between Rya'c and Bra'tac. The effects of the Tretonin, and did anyone ever inform Teal'c about the firehazard his gazillion candles pose?

While, I'm not sure about the story, I will give it an excellent because I really enjoyed the episode as a whole. It's those little moments, I guess, that made it worthwhile.

How would you rate SG-1's "Orpheus?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

Major

I've probably said this before, but I like this episode because we see a return to competent Jack. When he gets snippy with Daniel about waiting to rescue Teal'c, it's a reminder that hey, he knows what he's doing in these situations.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

This one might have been too long for most of you to do the quiz-bit, but well... life is unpredictable and mine certainly has been rattled something fierce this 2019.

Anywho... here it is...

3-episode quiz: Fragile Balance, Orpheus & Revisions

Jigsaw puzzle: Orpheus

8 minutes 52 seconds.

Yep definitely rusty
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

We'll get you back in shape in no time...

Unless we take a long break again
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast