Was/Is Janeway Xenophobic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was/Is Janeway Xenophobic?

Namely only for her own species, humanity.

1. Most of her crew was human or human looking.
    Federation Captains have a lot of say in the makeup of their crew.
    2. She didn't want Torris as chief engineer.
    3. Most alien looking being were assigned to scrapy duties deep in the bowels of the ship.
    4. She forced a Bajoran to remove her religious earring.
    Federation Captains have a big say in what is allowed on their chip...remember Picard and Sisko allowed Wolf to wear his badge of honor.

Just a though here.

Originally posted by NG.1
    Namely only for her own species, humanity.

Federation Captains have a lot of say in the makeup of their crew.
    3. Most alien looking being were assigned to scrapy duties deep in the bowels of the ship.
    Federation Captains have a big say in what is allowed on their chip...remember Picard and Sisko allowed Wolf to wear his badge of honor.

Just a though here.
    P.S. Most of her close friends was human-looking at least e.g. that vulcan dude.

Comment

Unimaginative casting perhaps?
      Maybe because she was a volatile Klingon Maquis whom she simply didn't trust at the time?
      Hmm. I didn't pay such close attention to the extras, though you're probably right.
      Was that Seska? Gosh, my memory is so bad, I don't remember that at all.

Comment

Maybe she was just an all round "cranky pants" (edited to be PG)

I was a big fan of having a female captain, just no this female captain. Sorry to the Janeway fans.

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
          Unimaginative casting perhaps?

Maybe because she was a volatile Klingon Maquis whom she simply didn't trust at the time?

Hmm. I didn't pay such close attention to the extras, though you're probably right.

Was that Seska? Gosh, my memory is so bad, I don't remember that at all.
          Not Seska. There was this one episode where some of the minor staff were taught how to be better Starfleet officers.

Comment

Originally posted by somethinghuman
            Maybe she was just an all round "cranky pants" (edited to be PG)

I was a big fan of having a female captain, just no this female captain. Sorry to the Janeway fans.
            At the beginning she didn't irritate me that much, except for the hair bit, but as time went on I just couldn't get a liking in her...sigh.

Comment

Not Seska. There was this one episode where some of the minor staff were taught how to be better Starfleet officers.
              Oh, is that the last episode of Season 1 where Tuvok is giving four Maquis a hard time? He made the guy remove his earring, not Janeway.

Comment

Oh, is that the last episode of Season 1 where Tuvok is giving four Maquis a hard time? He made the guy remove his earring, not Janeway.
                I think it is up to a Captain to decide the policy of the ship. And as a Vulcan I don't think Tuvok would have really been concerned about such a thing...just my own humble opinion.

Comment

I think it is up to a Captain to decide the policy of the ship. And as a Vulcan I don't think Tuvok would have really been concerned about such a thing...just my own humble opinion.
                  Well, I don't think it was a ship policy, just standard dress code. Starfleet regulations.

Comment

Well, I don't think it was a ship policy, just standard dress code. Starfleet regulations.
                    Could be. But still I can't help but wonder about Worf that could wear his badge of honor on the Enterprise and under Sisko's command.

Comment

"Learning Curve", and yeah it's Starfleet regulations. (Saw the first half of the episode on saturday!)

^Perhaps that's fairly formal and clearly a uniform of some sort so it's allowed but the earring is more of a decoration which shows what religion you follow... I don't know, i'm just guessing.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

She's actually Bipolar.

Originally posted by Wikipedia: Kathryn Janeway
                        A complex and deeply emotional personality, Janeway ultimately held herself responsible for Voyager's stranding in the Delta Quadrant, and was committed to returning the ship to Federation space. At times capable of altruism, empathy, and compassion, she (inconsistently) took the Federation's utopian ideals seriously, albeit refracting them through the lens of her own conservatism. She believed in helping people, although it was at times implied that she also had a desire to remake certain crewmembers (particularly Seven of Nine) in her own image.

Janeway was a highly controversial character among fans throughout much of the Voyager series' run, and has been considered the most morally ambiguous of Star Trek's captains. (Indeed, the pilot episode, Caretaker, involves her making a decision which was not universally agreed with.)

Although she was seen by some as simply being a strong-willed individual, others have cited specific incidents (the episodes Equinox, Year of Hell, Night, and Endgame, among others) as examples of abuse of authority, and evidence supporting the idea that before the events of Voyager, she was essentially a civilian science officer who in being inadvertently sent to the Delta Quadrant, was in a situation which her character and level of command maturity were not always able to match. Despite her generally having fundamentally positive intentions, her actions did not always leave those intentions entirely clear.
                        From Kathryn Janway

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                          She's actually Bipolar.

From Kathryn Janway
                          Hmmm...so what does this tell us -

Janeway equals bad (oops meant to say not so good) captain and should have never been given a command position.

Now I can't help but wonder if she was given a command position because her father was an admiral?

Comment

Hmmm...so what does this tell us -

Janeway equals bad (oops meant to say not so good) captain and should have never been given a command position.

Now I can't help but wonder if she was given a command position because her father was an admiral?
                            Actually, her dad died while she was still in Starfleet Academy. As for her role as captain, I don't think she was the best captain, but you all have judgments about a character we knew almost nothing about before hand. And although she certainly wasn't perfect, she wasn't a Ransom either. Besides, the only one better to lead the ship was a security officer by the name of Tuvok, and no one would watch a vulcan captain and a crew.
                            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

ed a Bajoran to remove her religious earring.

Just a though here.
                              Riker also forced a Bajoran Officer, Ro Laren to remover her earring as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X