Has writing gone down lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has writing gone down lately?

I was just wondering if I am the only one that thinks the writing for "Smallville" has gone down for the past 2 seasons or so? Now, don't get me wrong, there have been some great episodes here and there, but then there have also been quite a few bad/uninterresting ones.

I can see they are trying their best to get away from the "Freak of the week" episodes (Season 1 & 2) by having a season long arc running in the backround but somehow it I don't find it that compelling. I will keep watching because I have been a fan from the beginning, but I find myself not even exited about watching a new episode anymore.

The whole Clark/Lana thing is getting old. Cloe is still my favourite, or as I like to call her, Veronica Mars. The character of Lana irritates me at the moment and would be quite okay if they kill her character off. Clark can somehow be responsible for Lana's death. That pushes Lex over the edge and he decides on a life long revenge to get back at Clark for killing the love of his life.

To answer your question...

Is the Pope Catholic?

Yes the writing's gone downhill! It's been going downhill since season 4!

Comment

I don't think it's gone downhill.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

hell no. it's gone up. much better

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
          To answer your question...

Is the Pope Catholic?

Yes the writing's gone downhill! It's been going downhill since season 4!
          I agree with you I think the writing has gone down. just my humble opinion

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
            hell no. it's gone up. much better
            Well put, IMO.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think the average quality has dropped recently, but there are some awesome episodes coming out that are far better than the older eps
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                I think the average quality has dropped recently, but there are some awesome episodes coming out that are far better than the older eps
                I agree with you... they do have some good episodes now which are far better than those freak-of-the-week episodes of Season 1 and 2... but, something is still missing. I felt bad for Clark, for like one episode, after his father died and then I felt I felt they should get on with it. That episode was brilliant actually. Good and solid writing. But I was hoping Lana would get it, but she is still around... that episode where she injects herself with that stuff that temperarely kills her so that she can see her parents... Oh please... a throw away episode except for the fact that Clark's father told him Lionel knows his secret...

Maybe at age 31 I am getting to old for the show...and maybe the target market of the show does not include me anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                  I agree with PtahTheCreationGod, I figure the the actual scripts have become quite lax but in general the episode content has gotten better, we are seeing more of the stuff i am interested in i.e. the fortress, freinds who know his secret and lionel luther is one of the best characters I have seen in any show in a long time. The show just needs the scripts to match the content.

Comment

The writing has definitely gone down. The plots and storylines are getting old and stupid.

Clark needs to forget about Lana and get with Chloe. That storyline has been milked until the cow is dry. I also think Clark needs to start killing people instead of giving up quickly and allowing them to live. Lets face it, clark is a wimp, Lana will some day be a whore, Chloe will never get over Clark, Lex will continue to try and rule the world, Martha will continue to hang with Lionel, and someone, somewhere will find more ways of disabling Clark with kryptonite renderinh him useless.

There you have it. The complete storyline plot for the next few seasons. Check please!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      I don't think it's gone downhill.
                      i don't know if i could say it's going downhill, as much as i'm not 'enjoying' it as much as i used to.

big spoilers for the current season

Spoiler:
                      since they killed off pa kent, broke up clark and lana, and left ma kent a widow, i feel it's lost it's heart and soul, because (to me) those relationships 'were' the heart and soul.

i just miss the show the way it used to 'feel'.

i also think the way they broke up lana and clark was stupid. very stupid. all clark had to do was tell lana what happened that made him change history. solved the problem there!

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

I watched the season four finale of Smallville- which I thought wasn't bad, so I watched the season opener, not bad, and from there, I watched several episodes that translated into a wasted hour of cringing each week . Couldn't get the show, and the end of every episode was a rehash of the same scene of Clark and Lana talking about trust and lies and secrets and all that stuff. Clark seemed like a real jerk, and Lana very naieve and blind. From what I've seen, I can't tell that the writing of the series has ever been "up". Which is too bad because it had potential, but it's all seems to revolve around tangled ships.
                        The only things that kept me watching at all were the guy who played Lex, who was really good, the actors who played his parents, and that girl who played Chloe- all good characters, but very much wasted. I just couldn't wrap my head around the show- they desperately need a writing room overhaul.

Comment

The last few episodes (well almost all I guess) seems to wrap up the story-line for the week withing 30 minutes and then the last 10 minutes are the getting-so-old-now Lana/Clark, Lana/Lex!!!! Please kill Lana off. Well she can be brought back, if you want, but this time make her clever and strong and not such a moping baby. Anything is possible in Sci-fi.

How about making Cloe more interresting. I mean, it looks like the writers just gave her a job at the newspaper to have access to a computer so that she can solve mysteries every week. Make her mess things up a bit and getting into trouble at work. Create problems which Clark cannot help her with... okay, i know i will hate the idea that my girl suffering but it makes the story interresting!

Comment

Working...
                          X