Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stargate Fragile Balance (703)

Visit the Episode GuideDISCUSS ...
    FRAGILE BALANCE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 703

A teenage boy shows up at the S.G.C. claiming to be Jack O'Neill, sending the team on a mission to uncover his true identity.

Visit the Episode Guide >>
    Last edited by Darren; January 24th, 2007 at 06:50 PM.

Chief Master Sergeant Gaterelle's Avatar
    The Land of IKEA, Absolut Vodka and Salt Licorice

Default Re: Fragile Balance (703)

Excellent episode and I wish we could see more of Michael Welch. He did an outstanding job as portraying Jack and I was amazed by it. ))
    Gaterelle

When I first watched it, I was in stitches with Mini-Jack. Michael welch did an excellent job in getting me to think that it was a shrunken Jack!

Smile Re: Fragile Balance (703)

This one was so funny, what a kid. What a nightmare to be Jack O'Neill and be 16. He wanted some beer, and he was double tuff wasn't he.I really didn't like it the first time I saw it, but the second time was better,so I went for the third time, and I loved it.

I do like this episode now, but I had to watch it more than once, too. I agree that Michael Welch did a great job in portraying Jack.
    I think it was interesting to see that at the end that even though the mimi-Jack was a clone he was slightly different from the real Jack when he made the decision to go back to highschool while the real Jack didn't like the idea at all.
    But it's gotta be really weird to have the memory of a lifes experiences and be stuck in a 15 or 16 year old body and live another life.

Michael Welch did an amazing job being Jack. The first time I watched the episode I didn't even realize RDA wasn't in the episode because 'Jack' was right there.
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Wink Fragile Balance (between pedophilia and acceptable)

So I just finished watching this episode and I agree that the kid did a fantastic job as Jack and that it was nice and entertaining and all, but what’s with the going back to high school bit. I understand that one would want to go back and learn the things one didn’t learn, but when little Jack was leaving the truck, he glanced over at the girls and I couldn’t help but think “you freking pedophile!” Jack’s supposed to be old, like 50, but he’s looking at those high school girls like they were produce. Just because he was in the body of a kid doesn’t justify him trolling for some young, high school action. I mean, what kind of message does that ending send to viewers? I think the writers and directors were trying to say that it would be great to go back and do things all over again, but what I got was, it’d be great to go back so we could prey on fresh young girls again. But then again, I can’t blame the writers for thinking that; I imagine that many of those who are of Jack’s age and those, including myself, who will eventually become Jack’s age, will have the same ideas pass through their minds at one time or another. But that’s not the point; the point is that the producers blatantly allowed such magnificently foul ideas seep onto the TV screen. It was kind of funny, but it was a little disturbing. I can’t help but to think that this episode gave viewers a little peek into the darker, nastier side of the minds of the writers. Albeit, very subtly.

Default Re: Fragile Balance (between pedophilia and acceptable)

I see your point. I think it's one of those times that you just have to disenegage your brain for a few moments if you're to enjoy the show. Jack's ogling schoolgirls? Sam's injured on the floor and the guys have their hands in their pockets? Jack's snogged Sam and she doesn't know it and he's looking smug about it?

I just think there are times when the writers, directors and so forth are so fixed on getting scene 12 right or getting the lighting just how they want it and a thousand other things that they don't have time to fully think through the implications of certain things. I reckon the fact that the actor was fifteen distracted them from the obvious truth that a 56-year-old oughtn't to be eying up fifteen year olds.

Since stuff like that is pretty rare it's easy for me to just file it under Silly Mistake and move on .

Madeleine

But don't we all have something in our life we'd love to go back and redo?

Young Jack wanted go back to high school and re live his adolescent years. Jack was able to save him from death. Hmmm . . . high school or death? Let me think.

Young Jack said the air force "set him up." Does that mean he's living with a foster family? Living off the base? Won't he have to change his name? I'm sure there are a few Jack O'Neill's running around the USA, but really. Talk about your identity theft. Perhaps he'll go by John or Johnathan.

Just a few things to ponder. I like to nit pick.

Lisa Michelle

You forgot to mention a new social security number.

It's not just about TPTB though. They can plan it all they want, and they probably have; but it goes without saying that the plans depend on Michael Welch being available and amenable. I believe he's a regular in a show that's filmed at the same time of year as Stargate is.

Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by LMichelle
    But don't we all have something in our life we'd love to go back and redo?

Young Jack wanted go back to high school and re live his adolescent years. Jack was able to save him from death. Hmmm . . . high school or death? Let me think.

Young Jack said the air force "set him up." Does that mean he's living with a foster family? Living off the base? Won't he have to change his name? I'm sure there are a few Jack O'Neill's running around the USA, but really. Talk about your identity theft. Perhaps he'll go by John or Johnathan.
    Right now I don't have anything I want to go back and redo.

Get back on subject. I like what young Jack said about school. He knew they were similiar but the difference was that he wants to go back and redo high school.

First of, great acting by Michael. It's hard to act in a credible way, but to clone RDA's style of acting here is another thing.

One thing I would do different as mini-Jack there. I'd get the USAF to move me to another country, like Belgium where I live, where 16 is a legal age to drink beer ... I also want an occasional beer, that's why I ain't moving to the US 'til I'm at least 21.
    Ok, different language, but Jack without beer for 5 more years, that's a suicide waiting to happen.

I like this nice twist from the normal eps.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by briguy213
    I like this nice twist from the normal eps.
    Profound observation, care to expound further?
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

does anyone know what kind of shades (young o'neill) puts on at the end of the episode?

Brigadier General

its funny cause Young Jack and Cassandra Fraiser are close to the same age in 2008. except cassie's older cause she was born in 1985 and Jack was "born" in 1987 which mearns depending when the episode actually was aired (not in our time but in stargate canon) that would make young jack o'neill either turning 16 pretty soon.

DVDs Re: Fragile Balance (703)

I thought it was an average episode.

Good to see Thor back.

We also have some Stargate history, licensed music. Something that would only be done 2 more times before SGU (see what I did there)

Monday, a Goa'uld death camp (yeah).

Captain Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman's Avatar

Default Re: Fragile Balance (between pedophilia and acceptable)

Quote Originally Posted by luusyphre
    So I just finished watching this episode and I agree that the kid did a fantastic job as Jack and that it was nice and entertaining and all, but what’s with the going back to high school bit. I understand that one would want to go back and learn the things one didn’t learn, but when little Jack was leaving the truck, he glanced over at the girls and I couldn’t help but think “you freking pedophile!” Jack’s supposed to be old, like 50, but he’s looking at those high school girls like they were produce. Just because he was in the body of a kid doesn’t justify him trolling for some young, high school action. I mean, what kind of message does that ending send to viewers? I think the writers and directors were trying to say that it would be great to go back and do things all over again, but what I got was, it’d be great to go back so we could prey on fresh young girls again. But then again, I can’t blame the writers for thinking that; I imagine that many of those who are of Jack’s age and those, including myself, who will eventually become Jack’s age, will have the same ideas pass through their minds at one time or another. But that’s not the point; the point is that the producers blatantly allowed such magnificently foul ideas seep onto theTV screen. It was kind of funny, but it was a little disturbing. I can’t help but to think that this episode gave viewers a little peek into the darker, nastier side of the minds of the writers. Albeit, very subtly.
    You are SO overeacting! Come on! Does Jack really seem the type to go fooling around with a bunch of teenagers? Most probably he's gonna pick one and make her damn happy!
    Come on! The guy is devoted! Most probably he's gonna crush for the teacher. Besides, he's a teenager now, so he has the memories of a 50 year old, Jack was always a bit childish (in a good way) and I know teenagers way more mature than him so, it's not really a question of mental age.
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Fragile Balance (703)

This is their second best episode from this season. My family loves watching "mini me" trying to convince everyone that he is in fact Jack. Favorite line is probably

Jack: Daniel, tell them who I am.

Daniel: Ok. Love to. Who are you?

Lol! Pure gold!
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?