Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: Homecoming (702)

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I believe that was the point.

Seaboe
    How so?

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    How so?
    Different actors, different characters. Mitchell's not supposed to be O'Neill.

But I guess in your case it's more about Ben Browder not being Richard Dean Anderson (talking about the man, not the character -- if I can wage a guess).
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Chief Master Sergeant

I understand why RDA needed the time off, and had to basically quit the show. But no, his character could not be replaced. Ever. However, I did like Mitchell a lot. He was capable and not annoying like Jonas.

Captain

What Falcon Horus said. Cam isn't supposed to be Jack. His experiences before the gate were different, he was younger, his personality was different, his sense of humor was different.

I liked Jonas. I liked the way he was awkward at the beginning but became more confident as time passed. I liked the way Jack kept testing him (among other things, to make sure he could obey orders, since Daniel could not).

I hated the way they turned Jack into a buffoon. I appreciated his sense of humor, but they took it past the point of mere humor.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    What Falcon Horus said. Cam isn't supposed to be Jack. His experiences before the gate were different, he was younger, his personality was different, his sense of humor was different.

I liked Jonas. I liked the way he was awkward at the beginning but became more confident as time passed. I liked the way Jack kept testing him (among other things, to make sure he could obey orders, since Daniel could not).

I hated the way they turned Jack into a buffoon. I appreciated his sense of humor, but they took it past the point of mere humor.

Seaboe
    I didn't mean that Mitchell was supposed to "be Jack," only that Jack is irreplaceable. And I think it is somewhat obvious that the producers thought he was replaceable. I hope I cleared things up.

Staff Sergeant myowndrownedworld's Avatar

Have to say I was glad to see the back of Jonas. I just didn't find him an interesting character. I don't know whether it was because of how he was written or how the actor played him. I didn't see any chemistry with the other three leads either.

I noticed chemistry, and it was strange that a mentally shaken Jackson had to do the rescue work - but he succeeded. Jonas is cute and smart.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Chief Master Sergeant

Did I really see two US Airforce officers rolling their eyes and criticising a government for using a weapon of mass destruction to deter foreign aggression?

Shouldn't they have at least have explained why they know it isn't a good idea? And wasn't the bomb used in an uninhabited area?

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
    Did I really see two US Airforce officers rolling their eyes and criticising a government for using a weapon of mass destruction to deter foreign aggression?

Shouldn't they have at least have explained why they know it isn't a good idea? And wasn't the bomb used in an uninhabited area?
    Think they went over this in two previous episodes.. and they still used the bomb *slaps forehead*. Of course the SGC/US did nothing to stop it either.. they could of helped Jonas's people set up a show of military power somehow, fire some lasers into the sky or exploded a nuke over the ocean or something - minimum damage, no fuss.

Jonas is gone. I didn't dislike him, he had his moments. Though it kind of annoyed me how they kept bringing up his special physiology/quick study thing, almost every episode he is in. And then they went no-where with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirude View Post
    Jonas is gone. I didn't dislike him, he had his moments. Though it kind of annoyed me how they kept bringing up his special physiology/quick study thing, almost every episode he is in. And then they went no-where with it.
    Well, it was a good reason to make him a member of SG1.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Excellent episode, but really sad to see Jonas go. . I really feel that should have brought Jonas to Atlantis. But, at least, he is still alive and had a proper farewell. It sort of reminded me of Hail and Farewell parties when my husband was in the army-- saying goodbye to someone who is being stationed somewhere else, and greeting the person taking his/her place.

First of all apologies for the lengthy pause between this episode and Fallen, but I contributed to Fandom Stocking on Dreamwith in the last 2 weeks of December and the first 2 of January, so I had little to no time to contribute to anything stargate related, except for writing 5 ficlets to put in stockings.

I'm back to watching. Gonna try to keep a frequency of 3 a week, but I can't promise anything since my love for stargate has cooled considerably. Plenty of other things that do bring me joy have taken its place (Doctor Who -- see signature -- and I just started watching Outlander).

Anyhow... Homecoming...

While I really enjoy the episode and the story being told, I am saddened it's Jonas Quinn's final goodbye (until we see him again in 8 for one episode). Back to Kelowna, and Daniel back on the team, like season 6 was a glitch. Jonas is now in the past.

Kelowna people are stilll squabbling among themselves. Anubis wants to be all powerful, and Ba'al gets to play too with his small army -- even if Anubis flies off into the sunset before his ship is destroyed right under his nose. Daniel and Jonas on Anubis' ship is adorkable and we're basically seeing a good solid SG-1 story.

How would you rate SG-1's "Homecoming?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

****************EDIT

3-episode quiz: Full Circle, Fallen (s7) & Homecoming (s7)

Jigsaw puzzle: Homecoming
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; January 27th, 2019 at 01:09 PM.

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

14:54

13:30

I believe they should have moved Jonas to Stargate : Atlantis instead of starting Ford, so we could have had a science/history "self educated" expert on the SGA expedition. It could have been a different team dynamic next to McKay and Sheppard, while he could have been used in any supporting role. But anyway I was just thinking loudly.
    Last edited by Platschu; February 2nd, 2019 at 02:51 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

I think if he had been "Ford", they would have "Forded" him all the same in Atlantis.

This episode is bitter sweet. For the most part I liked it seeing the return to Kelowna and the invasion of Anubis. The highlight is the Jonas' and Daniel interaction and the naive nature of the Kelownans. I'm bitter because of how the writers dropped Jonas after this episode. My bitterness makes this episode a fair with 7:42 and 12/15
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

12.39, I am improving. Bring on the next one.