Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want Star Trek to be real.

Like, right now.

Space is too awesome not to be out there exploring it right now.

C'mon scientists. let's get the ball rolling, eh?

Harry Truman: "Invent NASA and tell them to get off their fannys"

I'd love to see working transporters and holodecks. How sweet would it be to take a trip to anther country and arrive a few seconds after you left? Holodecks would be fun, I could be a member of SG-1, or Voyagers crew, or help Sisko fight the Dominion.

Comment

Exactly my sentiment every time I watch it.....I want to be the one on the bridge of the Enterprise giving the orders and going where no.....person has gone before.
      I just want to go in to space.....
      Come on scientists, all we're asking you to do is change a few laws of physics......
      But lets at least go to Mars first.....

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
        Like, right now.

Space is too awesome not to be out there exploring it right now.

C'mon scientists. let's get the ball rolling, eh?

Harry Truman: "Invent NASA and tell them to get off their fannys"
        You know how many times I've wished for that too.

Not just for space exploration, but to meet strange and interested cultures that are not of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
          I'd love to see working transporters and holodecks. How sweet would it be to take a trip to anther country and arrive a few seconds after you left? Holodecks would be fun, I could be a member of SG-1, or Voyagers crew, or help Sisko fight the Dominion.
          You might be interested to know that a prototype of a transporter already exists. Read an article a long time ago that scientists managed to move a (I think it was a molecule?) from one spot to another with a device.

As for holodecks - I believe the Japanese government is planning to invest a huge some of money for something similar to be created. Apparently the theory behind some of the technology that will be involved doesn't exist yet, therefore it will have to be "invented" still.

The reason why the Japanese government is willing to invest money in this project is for people to be able to sit at home and still experience the smell, feeling, sound etc. etc. of sitting in a real life sport match.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
            Exactly my sentiment every time I watch it.....I want to be the one on the bridge of the Enterprise giving the orders and going where no.....person has gone before.
            I just want to go in to space.....
            Come on scientists, all we're asking you to do is change a few laws of physics......
            But lets at least go to Mars first.....
            Talking about this...

I was watching a program on Discovery channel about a year ago and the scientists (think they were from NASA) mentioned that the theory behind a WARP drive already exists, but at the moment it will costs way too much to actually try and implement it. Also some of the technology for such a drive doesn't exist yet, which is another problem.

Comment

^yes warp drive can prove problematic at times, i find flying through interstellar space at 300,000,000 miles a second to be invigerating, the only exception being the molecules of space dust that can blow a hole in your hull the size of a dustcan lid

no but seriously the holodecks are so cool, if such a thing existed people would never leave their homes to go out, they would never need to go on holiday or go to school, phew it kinda takes the fun outta real life, i think such a device like holodecks would rpve more useful on a space ship that cannot go at warp speeds, that way the crew don't get bored or lonely cool eh?
              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

star trek can be real just without the Borg ect.
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

We can go out there and meet aliens that speak English!

I saw something on Discovery about experimenting with creating holotechnology- they actualy built a room that looked like the TNG holodeck- I think it was on "How William Shatner Changed the World"
                  As well as the thing about transporting one atom, but the way they transport today if a person would do it, they would just be re-assmebling a duplicate on the other side or whatever (I think), so there is the debate as to whether that re-assembled person is really that person or just a copy. I think the WARP thing was on there as well.....it was a great show.

Comment

I wanna play ping pong with Worf.

+

=

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                      ^yes warp drive can prove problematic at times, i find flying through interstellar space at 300,000,000 miles a second to be invigerating, the only exception being the molecules of space dust that can blow a hole in your hull the size of a dustcan lid

no but seriously the holodecks are so cool, if such a thing existed people would never leave their homes to go out, they would never need to go on holiday or go to school, phew it kinda takes the fun outta real life, i think such a device like holodecks would rpve more useful on a space ship that cannot go at warp speeds, that way the crew don't get bored or lonely cool eh?
                      Well they didn't say the theory for warp drive was perfect,

As for holodecks...won't it be cool if that way you can become part of a TV Series e.g. Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                        star trek can be real just without the Borg ect.
                        And here I thought the whole purpose of Star Trek was to meet "interesting" aliens like the Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                          We can go out there and meet aliens that speak English!

I saw something on Discovery about experimenting with creating holotechnology- they actualy built a room that looked like the TNG holodeck- I think it was on "How William Shatner Changed the World"
                          As well as the thing about transporting one atom, but the way they transport today if a person would do it, they would just be re-assmebling a duplicate on the other side or whatever (I think), so there is the debate as to whether that re-assembled person is really that person or just a copy. I think the WARP thing was on there as well.....it was a great show.
                          It was a great show!! You know what I like most about Star Trek...the fact that indirectly it was responsible for the discovery of cellphones.

As for the transporter...a while ago I read in a science book that if a duplicate is created of you and it has the same memories, feelings etc. is it really a duplicate per se? After all that duplicate will have no experience of having "died" as such and will just consider itself to be the original copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                            I wanna play ping pong with Worf.

+

=

Comment

for me its not as much meeting other species, but more the lifestyle, the society, and the cool tech.

i love that there's no money (except universal latinum), no famine, no war (except when someone brings the rukus), etc etc. it really is a mostly utopian society.
                              if you want something - replicate it. people understand that even though they can have anything, things still need to be accomplished. so everyone does their duty.

i want awesomely quick computers and the ability to call up basically anything at anytime. indeed the holodeck would be the ultimate form of entertainment. and charting nebulae, and visiting stars, etc, would just be phenomenal.

i want i want i want

Comment

Working...
                              X