This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An open letter to all of Gateworld

I have said often and with with great sincerity that Gateworld has some of the best Mods on the internet and I still believe that. HOWEVER, there's only so much the Mods can do within the boundaries of the forum rules and then, as they like to say, the rest is up to us and unfortunately, that burden is too much to bear for many some of us.

Gateworld, as a forum, used to be a wonderful place to hang. There were dozens of great discussions- some serious, some not, some in between- and everyone came here to have fun and share in the Joy That is Stargate and maybe, incidentally, spin off onto some other "joyful" things as well. I won't say that it was ALL rainbows and puppydogs, but the atmosphere was a lot lighter and folks more or less got along... or at least didn't go out of their way en masse to attack others.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, there was a paradigm shift. Gateworld is no longer as carefree and joyous as it used to be. The atmosphere is a lot more hostile and instead of being open and welcoming, it has the attitude of a city under siege: angry and suspicious and unrelenting. Conversations are no longer open, they're polarized: pro and anti threads are everywhere and people will ATTACK you for being one or the other. Not just debate the points, not offer alternative viewpoints, but flat-out attack individuals and groups on a very personal and hateful level just for having a different opinion. I wouldn't say the pro/anti threads are the cause of it, though; the pro and anti threads were created more or less because a civil conversation couldn't be carried out in a more generalized thread without it devolving into a pitched battle between sides with each group getting nastier and more bitter as the thread progressed until it ceased being about the show entirely and became about being "right" or "wrong". This is an attitude which has become more and more prominent over the past year or so.

Gateworld is no longer about coming to share views and exchange ideas, it's about proving you're right and everyone else is wrong. Further, it's about flaming those who are "wrong" back to the bedrock, even if it means trampling over their "protected" threads to do so. After all, they're WRONG, and if they're too stupid to know it then they should be beaten over the head with it and attacked until they either admit the error of their ways or are driven off the forum entirely.

Intolerance is the watchword of the day. It's no longer enough to allow people to have their own views; in fact, people aren't allowed to have their own views unless they agree with the Majority and the Majority has decided that Stargate is a Great Good Thing. Anyone who dares to imply that there's anything wrong with the show gets flamed... and deserves it because, of course, they're WRONG. There is no difference between "Fact" and "Opinion": if the Majority thinks something then it must be TRUE and everyone has to agree or suffer the consequences.

The Mods have done what they can, but an ever-increasing number of people have learned to toe the line so well that they can attack others without technically breaking the rules of the forum, leaving the Mods powerless to do anything. There's also the fact that most of the people engaging in this sort of behavior frankly don't give a damn and will continue to attack and belittle others no matter how often they get mod snipped or lectured. Add to that the sheer overwhelmingness of it all- instead of being isolated to one or two threads it's a more or less constant and ongoing war at every level (and in varying degrees of seriousness)- and I have to ask: where is it all going? And why?

WHY can't people be free to express their feelings ABOUT THE SHOW without it becoming a personal attack? WHY do people feel compelled to go out of their way to start trouble? WHY can't people leave well enough alone? And what, exactly, are you all hoping to accomplish with this? Do you want a board where only good things are ever said? Where only ONE OTP exists? Where freedom of speech is only granted to those who agree with you and all others are banned?

I'm pretty sure that isn't the sort of forum Darren had in mind when he started this place, but try as hard as the mods might, that's exactly what we're heading towards right now. I've seen an increasing number of people complaining about the hatred, the hostility and the hypocrisy that is consuming Gateworld and I've seen more and more people who are flat-out leaving the forum or sticking to a few "safe" threads because they can't deal with the attitudes and negative atmosphere- and by negative, I don't mean "anti" I mean anyone who is intolerant of all others.

As nice as it would be to think that we, as a whole, could get over petty differences and treat one another with respect, at this point that simply isn't possible. The problem isn't getting better, it's getting WORSE. If Gateworld is to remain the free and open place it's supposed to be, I feel very strongly that something has to be done to insure that.

The rules, as they stand right now, aren't enough. People are still getting hurt and it isn't just a matter of being "too sensitive". The nasties out there are wielding the rules like weapons and cutting down others while remaining untouched, themselves. Either new and stricter rules dictating proper forum behavior need to be laid out- in detail- or harsher punishments need to be found for those who DO break the rules. Preferably both. I know it's hard to know where to draw the line, but I think it would be worth the effort to sit down and figure out where a NEW line should be drawn because the old one isn't working anymore.

Yes, you can go on about making Gateworld "too restrictive" and yes, you can preach about the dangers of inhibiting "freedom of speech", but riddle me this, Batman: Can you honestly say that Gateworld is as friendly and welcoming now as it was a year ago? Two years ago? Three? Blame size if you want to, blame changes within the show itself, but even taking that into consideration, does it truly warrant the kind of behavior that is becoming dominant on the forum? And do you truly WANT this kind of behavior to become dominant?

Gateworld will probably never be as great as it was "back in the day", but it might be nice if it was a little less hateful. Speaking for myself, I feel as if I'm constantly on the defensive when I'm posting in the on topic sections and even when I'm in threads that are supposed to be "protected" I remain tense because I know that NOWHERE is truly safe anymore. That isn't how I want to feel and I'm pretty sure that isn't the atmosphere Gateworld wants to project. As it stands, however, most of my friends are on this forum, which makes it tough to leave, despite the increasing nastiness. It used to be that as disenfranchised as I was with the show, I still loved fandom. That isn't true anymore. In fact, if I COULD find another forum as diverse and well-modded as Gateworld, I'd leave in a heartbeat. Yes, I can still have fun here and you can be damn sure I try very hard to have as much fun as I can, but the fact that I have to TRY to have fun is very telling, in my opinion.

This is ALL just my opinion, of course, and I'm sure there are many who'll disagree (and a few who will undoubtedly disagree violently) but, as Daniel said, this just happens to be how I see it. Comments? Suggestions?

I agree with you, but I'm truly worried that the rules could evolve into the very things they are trying to stop. Am I just being paranoid?

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
      Am I just being paranoid?
      Yes. Undoubtedly, though, that will be the exact sort of reason given for why the rules aren't stricter or more heavily enforced.

Comment

I agree 100% Shadow.
        Having run up against some people like that, people who make wide generalised statements about a particular view, then maintain, 'oh it wasn't directed at you, even though you hold that view' or say you are too sensitive when you feel set upon and bullied, I think that more needs to be done. Posters shouldn't have to feel like children, calling to the mods 'such and such was mean to me'.
        There needs to be mutal respect for other people's opinions and thoughts. That is what's lacking here.
        And unfortuanately, the entrenched fan bases just make it worse.
        I don't know how to fix it, but I do think the rules need an overhaul.

Comment

Wow.

What a post.

Unfortunately, it's gonna have no affect on the people who are causing the problems. They'll just ignore it, and carry on anyway thinking, 'it's only her - that winger from that thread who's fun to annoy.' Pity, because if those people actually took the time to absorb your post, and then look in the mirror they might think, 'shoot that's me isn't it.'

And the problem is, it's a permanent polarisition ... all a change in rules can do is make the abuse a little nicer in terms of wording. They're not going to change the overall fact you've got sections of fandom at loggerheads with each other.

I tend to be in the middle of the arguments. I tend to see both sides of a debate (heck, i've managed to get greened in both the pro and anti S9 thread, because i have some pro, and some anti opinions, and can articulate them seperately and intelligently), and try and act as a peacemaker between the two. And then get walked over as both sides charge, hellbent on getting in the first hit.

We're supposed to come here to enjoy ourselves ... debating, not arguing - friends, not foes. Instead, it's a battleground. The bodies of those who have got so sick of it they've left, littered in each smouldering crater hole.

At this point, i feel i should wheel out my tattered from overuse, 'all opinions are welcome' banner. Cos in theory they are. However, people are inclined to believe that their opinions are the solid, golden truth, and why can't the enemy on the other side of ditch realise that what they say is heresy? "I must make them followers. Hallowed is my opinion!" Sound like any God-like enemies we know?

I will stay. Sometimes, when the two armies are squaring up, it can be quite fun being the one man band with the tattered banner trying to get the big bads to listen, and then step back as the grizzly battle commences. Plus, i've only really recently got involved in Off-Topic ... the last fading beacon of hope in a world of war.
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
            Unfortunately, it's gonna have no affect on the people who are causing the problems. They'll just ignore it, and carry on anyway thinking, 'it's only her - that winger from that thread who's fun to annoy.'
            Oh, I know they won't listen. This thread is more of an attempt to reassure myself that I'm not alone, to address the fact that I think there's a problem and that it needs to be dealt with.

I'm not advocating that all the rabid dogs suddenly stop foaming at the mouth, I'm just seeing if there's a chance we can get better muzzles for them. Or send them off to that little room at the back of the animal shelter.

Comment

Well said Shadow. Couldn't agree more with this. Though I think that was gathered from the slamming I got from replying to an entry in your LiveJournal a while back.

And there goes my concern. It doesn't actaully require this forum for people to be flat-out nasty to each other. People seem to find plenty of other forums to go about airing their views of others.

I could tell you what a large amount of people I know call this site, and a clue, it's not GateWorld...go figure...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Oh, I know they won't listen. This thread is more of an attempt to reassure myself that I'm not alone, to address the fact that I think there's a problem and that it needs to be dealt with.

I'm not advocating that all the rabid dogs suddenly stop foaming at the mouth, I'm just seeing if there's a chance we can get better muzzles for them. Or send them off to that little room at the back of the animal shelter.
                Shadow, you are definitely not alone in this. I Have felt this going on for some time. And like you said like so many others I've restricted my forum time to specific "safe threads". But even then, there have been the ocassional trolls who just want to get a response. And they do get a response to go whining to everyone else saying so and so are stereotypcially rude people.

I remember when I used to look forward to ending my work days so I can come on GW and posts and chat with friends. Now I sometimes even forget to come here until someone mentions it to me.

It's a pity the people who should be reading this won't listen or care or even figure out it's directed at them, and they'll just continue on with their behavior drive everyone else away.

Either way, it's only matter of time, if things don't change, when the people who use to enjoy themselves and have fun here all leave. Because frankly, who needs more stress when real life hands us drama in a platter up to our ears everyday.
                ~Athena

Comment

Well, time for a slightly different opinion.

I think some people are too sensitive, and more than a few take this forum way too seriously. If I see some a*s mouthing off on some thread, saying something that's obviously close-minded/foolish, I either laugh or respond in kind. I mean, he/she deserves it, right? I guess I'm just cynical that way.

I've been in this situation before, over on another board (Trekbbs), and really, no rule, and I repeat no rule will stop the "nastiness" described. People will just learn to toe the line better. Afterall, mods are still human, what they think to be the new line could very well be avoided by the more crafty posters. This "equilibrium" is pretty much arrived at with any other large group of people; all will have differing opinions, and most likely some will have a rash personality. When the forum was little (I'm guessing the "good ole days"), there was a smaller chance of those people appearing. But now with over 16000 posters, this is something you really can't avoid.

In fact, if I saw a forum of this size, and everyone was nice, then I'll either be freaked out that I accidentally clicked on the "Sowing Forum" or I would be freaked out knowing that the guy who runs the place is, in fact, a nazi.

Lastly, there's a very good reason why people (me included) are making personal comments with regards to arguments about Stargate: it's one of their favorite things. It's like listening to people insulting your, say, cat or something. You wouldn't stand by and let that happen, you'll want to instinctively hurt the person (hopefully not physically) because he/she hurt your feelings with regards to something you love. So you insult the guy, which is something we see on this forum.

As an aside, I haven't seen any of these really nasty things people have been spouting. Are they just in Anti threads or something? (Since I don't go in there).

Comment

I totally agree-i was here 2 years ago and part of the reason i joined was because of the atmosphere and i find that lately because of the attitude of the posts and the posters i am less involved and post less because the enjoyment of being here has worn off.
                    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

what about having sub-mods who would be frequent posters who have been here from the begining(like ShadowMaat)who would have certain privilages (somewhere between the avarage poster and a mod)and who would be peacekeepers.
                      MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                      I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Ya know, I don't think this board is as bad as people seem to think it is. Yes there are some people who rabble rouse and seem to derive great enjoyment from manipulating people in to flame wars but they are in the minority. It's a matter of sheer numbers. This didn't seem to be as big of a problem in the "good ol' days" because there were less people. The simple fact of the matter is that the more members we get the more personalities we have and the more likliehood that people are going to rub each other the wrong way. Besides, while there are often things that people think mods should enforce more stringently the fact is that we nip most big things in the bud.
                        Last edited by Shipperahoy; 05 April 2006, 07:06 PM.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Bigger forum, bigger number of psychotically elitist nutjobs ruining the fun for everyone. You may not think it's a problem, shipmum, but I've cut down on the number of threads I frequent and the ones I DO post on tend to be the fluffy harmless ones because the nutters are less likely to flame there. I've given up on a number of threads- some of which I started- because it simply wasn't worth the effort it was taking to try and keep it on topic without devolving into an "I'm right and you're scum" slagfest. I stick to the anti threads when I do dare to venture an opinion about the show because I'll find more acceptance there than I will on any "normal" threads although people still drop in to flame us all with ridicule. There's at least one person who seems to be following me around for the express purpose of slamming whatever I say. Not in a mod-able way, of course, because that would be too easy, but I'm getting slammed nonetheless. Hopefully said person will eventually figure out that I put him/her on ignore long ago after the first handful of snide posts that were trailing in my wake.

And like I said, even when I DO post, unless I'm on the Sulky Thread, the Rep Thread, or the Lorne Thread, I tend to be a lot more cagey and cautious and sometimes I don't always post what I want because it simply isn't worth the effort of having to defend myself from the barrages of negativity and holier than thou-ism. Even on the anti threads.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                            Well, time for a slightly different opinion.

I think some people are too sensitive, and more than a few take this forum way too seriously. If I see some a*s mouthing off on some thread, saying something that's obviously close-minded/foolish, I either laugh or respond in kind. I mean, he/she deserves it, right? I guess I'm just cynical that way.

I've been in this situation before, over on another board (Trekbbs), and really, no rule, and I repeat no rule will stop the "nastiness" described. People will just learn to toe the line better. Afterall, mods are still human, what they think to be the new line could very well be avoided by the more crafty posters. This "equilibrium" is pretty much arrived at with any other large group of people; all will have differing opinions, and most likely some will have a rash personality. When the forum was little (I'm guessing the "good ole days"), there was a smaller chance of those people appearing. But now with over 16000 posters, this is something you really can't avoid.

In fact, if I saw a forum of this size, and everyone was nice, then I'll either be freaked out that I accidentally clicked on the "Sowing Forum" or I would be freaked out knowing that the guy who runs the place is, in fact, a nazi.

Lastly, there's a very good reason why people (me included) are making personal comments with regards to arguments about Stargate: it's one of their favorite things. It's like listening to people insulting your, say, cat or something. You wouldn't stand by and let that happen, you'll want to instinctively hurt the person (hopefully not physically) because he/she hurt your feelings with regards to something you love. So you insult the guy, which is something we see on this forum.

As an aside, I haven't seen any of these really nasty things people have been spouting. Are they just in Anti threads or something? (Since I don't go in there).
                            While this will be probably be viewed as hypocritical of me for saying it - but then, it's not like I didn't make the masses aware of mental / behavioural difficulties, whether people accept it or take it with a dose of salt and dismiss it out of hand is not my concern - there is never really reason for personal attack on anyone, be that a forum member, a group of forum members, the mods / admin or the actors / crew on the show. I conceed my guilt of said behavour on several occassions...I neither condone it, nor make excuses for it.

You know, and I've said this before, I think the primary problem is that forums are viewed as just words. People forget that there are people behind the words that are posted. And that these people have feelings and their own ethical code and way of conducting themself based on what sort of person they are. Some people are more sensitive - it's a fact of life dude. On the flip side of your argument, it wouldn't kill some people to have a little more tact, and before someone mentions pots and kettles, I admit I should probably take note of that one myself. Though most people have more control of that than I do - some people do it purposely - I fail to notice it until someone takes my hand and points it out. Luckily, most of the people I care about know only too well what I'm like and quickly point out the error of my ways...

Written communication is a great thing, it's just that in this format it doesn't convey the emotions or intent with which someone has 'said' something. People really need to step back and think about if they would make the comments they do if the person they are replying to or talking about was in front of them physically. Or within earshot. I could bet with certainty that some people would not dare say some of this stuff in a real life situation, it's just that they can now because they have a monitor to hide behind and will never, if they are lucky, happen upon the person they are ragging on.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                            "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                              Ya know, I don't think this board is as bad as people seem to think it is. Yes there are some people who rabble rouse and seem to derive great enjoyment from manipulating people in to flame wars but they are in the majority. It's a matter of sheer numbers. This didn't seem to be as big of a problem in the "good ol' days" because there were less people. The simple fact of the matter is that the more members we get the more personalities we have and the more likliehood that people are going to rub each other the wrong way. Besides, while there are often things that people think mods should enforce more stringently the fact is that we nip most big things in the bud.
                              Uh...you mean "minority", right?

Anyway, I agree and appreciate the work you guys have done. Over at Trekbbs, we have about, I think, triple the number of mods as here and it's still pretty bad.

I just had a thought, and it has to do with evolution. No, not that kind.

Think about it, when the board was small and the people were nice, those coming here for the friendliness were strongly attracted, and thus we get a whole bunch of nice people who are old timers.

And then, there comes people who were slightly more antagonizing, but not overtly so (those that are were probably kicked out anyway, or something). Now you have a slightly different atmosphere, and those arriving at this point would see this, and would come here for maybe other reasons besides just the friendliness. Afterall, this place is for discussing Stargate, and it's difficult for a new poster to start mingling with old timers in the "Off-Topic" parts. So, what do they do? Discuss stargate of course!

So now we have part of the site doing discussions, while the other is mostly friendly chatting. Those posters arriving at this point would follow the same trend, and more people will discuss than mingle, at least when they were new to the forum. Of course, being the nature of discussions, it's not as friendly as just chatting, so we now get a subtle antagonizing atmosphere.

This trend repeats, so that by the time posters like me arrive, the atmosphere is much more hostile than the older times, and people who decide to join would be those that can take the abuse of arguements. This is probably the reason why I don't see all the particular nasty comments some of you are seeing.

Those that are "old" knew of a time when the board was very nice and friendly. Thus when you compare to what's happening now, you'll see it as hostile. People that are new to the forum saw it like this from day one, and thus don't care about it as much, and are most of the time more hostile in general.

That's just a theory, of course, but it's something interesting I've noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X