Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Babylon 5- best at the epic stuff?

The Vorlon / Shadow resolution came maybe a little too quickly. But really, it's not like the younger races could have actually fought them. Once their true nature was revealed thing proceeded to their logical conclusion. The Earth cival war however was given a more climatic ending. In fact I think JMS when forced to tighten up season 4 to wrap up as much as possible (with season 5 unlikely) he did so more at the cost of the Vorlon/Shadow showdown then the Earth civil war resolution.

And it's worth pointing out that this show was most certainly not written by committee. Starting around the middle of season 2 JMS wrote every single episode except a couple of episodes in season 5. One vision.

As for the 'Sheridan cult' that some have a problem with here... I don't really see it. Sheridan became the leader of the resistance. It's the type of job that will get put on a pedistal. But even then there were some that didn't buy into it, people who actively opposed him. And there were several other ongoing threads at the same time (most especially about Centauri and Narn) that Sheridan was not intimately connected to. So the show never become about Sheridan as such. And the season 4 finale did a nice job of looking at his character from a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorette
    My son really enjoyed the Crusade spin-off. He really liked the "mage's" humor. "Look there goes my liver..."

Crusade was interesting but it didn't have the depth that B5 had/has.

I got hooked on B5 after watching just one show of Season 2 w/ Bruce Boxlitner (sp). I didn't get to see season 1 till it started over again. I enjoyed it immensly and enjoyed it even more watching the 2nd time round knowing more of the backstory.
    Crusade got butchered by TNT execs. The people that had bought season 5 of B5 and ordered the Crusade series were replaced as Crusade began filming. The new managment didn't like B5 or Crusade and didn't think it fit in with their programming. When 5 episodes had been aired they halted production and ordered a number of changes made to the show, including a new uniform (the only good change in my opinion), more action, more sex and a 'how they all wound up together' first episode (instead of just jumping right into the story as JMS intended).

JMS agreed (reluctantly) to this and a further 7 episodes were produced before even more changes were demanded. At that point JMS knew that the show was dead and production halted permanently.

Crusade had a lot of potential but got ****ed by the management and since TNT had exclusive rights to B5 no other channel was willing to pick up Crusade (although the sci-fi channel would have been if B5 reruns could have been included). By the time TNT's B5 license ran out no one wanted to pick up the 'failed' series.

Yeah, Crusade suffered at the hands of execs though I also thought it could have been cast better, some of the characters lacked feeling.

B5 is without a doubt the most story driven powerfull sci-fi series so far. JMS managed to hold control and guide the show along a thight path that avoided plot holes and excessive use of the rest button.

That being said, I still prefere the feeling I get from Farscape. Farscape is just way more fun and isnĀ“t afraid to push the limits.

Chief Master Sergeant Baal_Lord's Avatar

Crusade didnt have enough action! i love all the episdes of B5 involving the planet killers, there is alwyas a pretty big battle
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Taonas/FFX.jpg

"The Battle to defeat Sin will be hard, prepare yourselves"

Second Lieutenant GeneralJackO'Neill's Avatar

Well, I thought Crusade was good.

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
    Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
    "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
    My deviantART profile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12