No announcement yet.

Memento (620)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a great episode, and an underrated one at that.

I think this was kind of an origins story with the buried gate, like the beginning of the original movie.

Joel's score during the whole stargate unearthing scene was just awesome (why exactly don't we have original soundtracks yet? Come on Joel).

Monday, I haven't seen that one, all I know is that it's a sequel (kind of) to an earlier episode from this season.
    sigpic

Comment

My LiveJournal post

A 'meh' ep for me.
      But I agree about liking the part when they dig up the Stargate, similar to the film.
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

The discovery and excavation of the gate is what I loved about this episode too, captured the same moment of discovery as in the original movie. The music is great too, really added to the whole awe and mystery of the discovery for the Tigreans.

"These aliens............."

I just loved that idea of a civiliisaton being faced with a visit from people from another planet. It makes it fun that in this case it's people and and a space ship from Earth instilling awe and fear in people of another world.

It's also good that at this point in time in Stargate they still went through trial and error with their ships and technology, still finding that things go wrong and finding inventive ways of getting out of trouble. In this case they had to find a buried gate on a planet of curious yet suspicious people or they were stuck far from home.

This has always been one of my favourite episodes of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post

4. Did we ever seen Col Ronson again?
          I don't think we do, but I sort of agree with the statement about him below, perhaps that's why/

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
          .... The Prometheus' commander was utterly unnatural and stilted in his performance, the Tagrean commander was a dick and the professor from the library was really creepy
          ^ Also, tell us how you really fee! Although I have to say I agree with you on the commander part too.

Overall an enjoyable episode. Was nice to see the Promethus - limited as it was. Man that ship has had it's run
          Spoiler:
          and that's before the battle of anterartica, commandered by Vala, blown up my crazed power hungry military aliens
          Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Ronson appears in Grace. They never did say why he stopped commanding the Prometheus
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
              ^ Also, tell us how you really feel!
              Haha! I stand by my comments. The episode got me worked up due to how much I disliked the casting choices.
              Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

You're all nuts. This episode was awesome. It was interesting to see the advantages and disadvantages of the Prometheus of a ship. I kind of like these early years of the ship when it was more of a liablity then an asset. It was not until S8 that the ship actually useful. And I also like the mystery and seeing where the gate is located. I always said Jonas and Teal'c worked well together. This episode highlights thier detective work in locating the gate and activating it once again. Yes I suppose you can can the xenophobic society has been done before but thier are a lot of stories that were done to death in SG1
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I enjoy this ep.

The start with Prometheus was very cool. Although a bit Star Trekish.

Gotta agree that the Tagrean commander was an ass. Glad he was shut down at the end. Uncovering the Tagrean stargate felt very much like the original movie.
                  sigpic

Comment

I liked this one. It shows that there are more planets out there just like earth, where people fight each other in stead of the Goa'uld.
                    Foxworth was so great as Ashwan, we should have a leader like that, here on earth

Comment

I liked this episode but one thing go to me. I might have said this before but it is very wrong to have SG1 always bringing guns with them to situations like this. You know the aliens are going to tell them to drop their weapons.

Comment

There's but one scene that I really, really love and that's the part where they uncover the gate and pull it up from it's grave. It's obviously a hint to the same scene in the film, but I really enjoy watching it. It has a very epic feel.

I also like the gunbatteries positioned around the ship, and the view of the city.

Beyond that, I find this a rather meh episode. Not bad, but not great either.

Fun fact: when Ronson is running his simulation at the beginning, and he orders the weapons ready for launch, the camera turns to the guy sitting at the station. If you look passed him, you can see that space is actually a black curtain with tiny specs of tinfoil attached to it. You can quite literally see the waves in the curtain. Someone forgot to put the background a little out of focus there so you wouldn't notice. Short version: the background looks fake.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

O'Neill is driving me insane.

There is far too much snark out of his mouth and disrespect for everyone who isn't Hammond or in SG-1 like mouthing off like a teenager in front of the ship's commander. And listening to that transmission to the planet to stop the attack was a painful tension killer. Keeping calm is one thing, but some urgency in his voice to put across the importance rather than sounding like he is ordering a pizza.

And yet the great soldier and leader is only carted out on occasion like forsaken and Paradise Lost.

Very infuriating.

A great episode though. Comes across in as though it has it has a very, very large scope - the events in space, the first contact, the background of the society, the city and the quest for the Stargate with the political shenanigans. Very epic. I love that the conflict was resolved by Ashwan and not by one of the regular characters. I was convinced that they'd go with the cliched situation of Klafas gunning down the chairman in a last ditch effort to retain power, but I'm glad I was wrong.

Why does Ronson say "full military thrust"? I looked it up and don't understand - is it the maximum thrust without using adding more fuel or something?
                          Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 19 September 2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                            I like this episode!

It made me think of how our world would react if the same thing happened to us. Mind you, we haven't hidden our history, but still, what would happen if intelligent aliens (conveniently speaking our language) came for a visit. Would we try to shoot them out of the sky?
                            Okay, it's three years later now but I asked myself the same question: Would we have reacted similarly? Well, I do think so.
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

I haven't read all the posts here, but has anyone noticed, the chowderhead colonel, the commander of Prometheus is out of AFR 35-10? Or whatever they call it now? His bloody birds are upside down.
                              He's gotta the laughing stick of the O club.

Comment

It's an interesting story about trust/mistrust, stuck in a bind, making new friends or possibly enemies and discovering an erased past.

These sort of stories are a dime a dozen, but sometimes it will have a good enough quality to keep you entertained for 42 minutes. This certainly had that for me (didn't in a previous rewatch -- see below).

But Heru'ur isn't Horus. He's Horus the Elder. Probably the only thing that bugged me this time around.

And I still absolutely adore this moment in the episode...

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                There's but one scene that I really, really love and that's the part where they uncover the gate and pull it up from it's grave. It's obviously a hint to the same scene in the film, but I really enjoy watching it. It has a very epic feel.

...I find this a rather meh episode. Not bad, but not great either.
                                Clearly had a change of heart about its quality since the last time I watched it cause before I considered it just "meh" and now I'm giving it an "excellent" rating.

How would you rate SG-1's "Memento?"

Excellent
                                Good
                                Fair
                                Poor
                                Terrible

But this still holds true though...

Fun fact: when Ronson is running his simulation at the beginning, and he orders the weapons ready for launch, the camera turns to the guy sitting at the station. If you look passed him, you can see that space is actually a black curtain with tiny specs of tinfoil attached to it. You can quite literally see the waves in the curtain. Someone forgot to put the background a little out of focus there so you wouldn't notice. Short version: the background looks fake.
                                *************EDIT*************

3-episode quiz: The Changeling, Memento & Prophecy

Jigsaw puzzle: Memento
                                Last edited by Falcon Horus; 22 December 2018, 09:57 AM.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X