Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season length: 13 episodes or 20 episodes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season length: 13 episodes or 20 episodes?

Personally, I though that the stories told in the first season were generally a lot stronger than the ones in the second season. Given a shorter span of time, RDM & co. did a stellar job of writing dense, smart, and interesting stories. The end of KBL2 was the product of tense buildup that just exploded in a very unexpected moment. The only real drawback of this is that there are fewer episodes, but that's a sacrifice I would be more than happy to make.

Typically, I found the 20-episode season 2 to be far more episodic--something I really am not looking for in BSG. I found the stories to be far more drawn out and less dramatic. Hell, they even planned on having a clipshow episode; thank god Resurrection Ship got expanded into a two-parter. While I enjoyed LDYB2 and it did have it's shock ending, personally, I just don't think it had the emotional and dramatic payoff that KBL2 had.

So what do you think is better, having a 13-episode season or a 20-episode season?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I felt 13 episodes were so short I prefer 20 episodes. I also consider season 1 ended after Home 2 really.

KLG....no clifhanger can be compared with that episode. I had read spoilers for months and I felt shocked.

LDYB2 is an amazing twist, a new beginning, a definition of the premise. It´s not shocking because of what´s happening...but because of what´s going on now? More subtle, there will be consequences for the rest of the series. It´s a new status quo.

Comment

I thought that season one with 13 eps was tighter than season two with 20 eps. Season two had more individual character eps (Epiphany, Black Market, Scar) than season one, which I enjoyed and thought were important to the show yet also detracted from the overall story arc and gave the season a "looser" feel.

Though Moore himself has admitted that he wasn't too pleased with several of the season two eps, apparently because they were crammed for time. So I'd much rather have a 20 ep season than 13 eps as long as TPTB have enough time to map out arcs and episodes, which will hopefully happen in season 3 thanks to the late start. I'll take all the BSG I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
        Though Moore himself has admitted that he wasn't too pleased with several of the season two eps, apparently because they were crammed for time. So I'd much rather have a 20 ep season than 13 eps as long as TPTB have enough time to map out arcs and episodes, which will hopefully happen in season 3 thanks to the late start. I'll take all the BSG I can get.
        Sounds good to me. I loved the mini and seasons 1 and 2.0. The second half of 2 wasn't too good to me. I dunno....

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
          I thought that season one with 13 eps was tighter than season two with 20 eps. Season two had more individual character eps (Epiphany, Black Market, Scar) than season one, which I enjoyed and thought were important to the show yet also detracted from the overall story arc and gave the season a "looser" feel.
          To be fair, I think RDM has a balancing act to do here - keep the arc and the complex characters and relationships ticking over, but at the same time not completely bewilder the newbies who are tuning in because of the great notices the show's been getting in place that don't generally pay much attention to genre TV (like The New Yorker).

Having said that, I hope the delay does give the production staff time to avoid RDM recording another podcast like the one for 'Black Market'.

Comment

Season one was a great deal more planned out and executed plot wise so I would have to say it was the best cuz season two had alot of filler episodes( scar, black market, etc.) and I didnt favor the outcome of LDYB too much it seemed to come out of left field... the last place I wanted.
            ..oh well .. at least now they have something to work with next season.

Comment

I'll stick with 20 eps, thank you.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

20 episodes all the way. The shows seem all too short with 13 - except, perhaps - if they were hour long eps... (TPTB all mutter and glare) okay, so that was wishful thinking... lmao 20 eps for me!

elly: "Look dude, talk to the host 'cause the goa'uld ain't listening!"

HELEN: "Do NOT walk blood through my house!"

NIKOLA: "How am I supposed to get to the infirmary then?"

HELEN: "I don't care if you sprout wings and flap there Nikola, as long as you don't wreck my good carpet."

Earth: "S**t happens" BSG: "Pencils break"

Comment

Working...
                X