X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Warp speed being developed"

Here

I saw it on Torrentspy, sounds like a good start
    Last edited by Dutch_Razor; 27 March 2006, 02:14 AM.

Sounds interesting. I'll be making sure to watch this topic although I doubt much more information will be revealled especially now that the military are keen.

Comment

Not to nitpick but since this is the science and tech sections. That isn't warp travel, that would technically be hyperspace travel. The reference to Star Trek was incorrect. Warp travel bassically enables that ship to travel in real space at superluminal speeds without violating relativity. This can be achieved since they would be "riding" a "space wave" it can be difficult to understand but the concept is that since nothing says that space can't move faster than light, it would be possible, and the ship wouldn't be moving faster than light because relative to the space it would not be moving at all. For more information on the theory the Warp drive is also known as the Alcubierre drive and was originally theorized by Miguel Alcubierre (not sure if he was before or after Gene Roddenberry...)

Comment

I saw the topic on a other forum it had to do with the heim's theory they expect the fist test hyperdrive in 5 years.
        hmmmmmm a mcDrive on the back side of the moon

Comment

Sounds really interesting.... I've read a few theories to make faster than light travel possible, and this little snippet seems the most promising (some of the others I read about seemed to be based on theories that even the craziest physicists where dubious of)

I hope it can work, would make for a more interesting life.

Comment

This has been discussed at lenght before. As far as I know even if it's sound it's a bit of a long shot and will certainly not be out within the next 5 years. Also it seems to work most like the Slipstream drive from Halo than anything else. The refference to Star Trek was completely bogus.

Try researching cold plasma shields-now that's something that I reckon will come out sooner or later.
            Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
            +
            Join the Adeptus Astartes

Comment

Oh well at least we don't need Goa'Uld hyperdrives anymore

@OwenMarci; Hyperspace sounds cooler than warp speed indeed imo

Comment

What kinda article is that?

"Yes, this scientist developed a theory for hyperspace. We aren't going to explain it because its so complex. Thats all. The End."

Edit: Oh ok, I got it...its a link to an article that links to the real article. :-/

Comment

Here's some additional info about the concept:

Here's a New Scientist article about it

The paper submitted to the AIAA (PDF format)

A Wikipedia article about Heim Theory

Comment

How wonderfully open-minded you are...

I don't know a lot about this new technology, but if I were to take an educated guess as to whether or not it's possible, I would say yes, a device such as a hyperdrive would be possible, working under the assumption that hyperspace exists. I'll try to look further into the subject but my advice now, is don't get your hopes up. Even if something like this looks like it may work now even the tiniest error can blow up in their faces, either litteraly or figurativly, take your pick. But it is an interesting concept and all I can say is I wish I came up with it.

Comment

It seems that the idea of Hyperspace travel is less contingent on whether or not the theories are correct, but more on the properties and natural laws of the dimension the "hyperspace motor/engine" would propel the craft into, if it can even do that.

The physicist states that this dimension "may" have different laws (i'll concede that tho), and that among these different laws the speed of light may be several times faster than in our dimension.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                        Not to nitpick but since this is the science and tech sections. That isn't warp travel, that would technically be hyperspace travel. The reference to Star Trek was incorrect. Warp travel bassically enables that ship to travel in real space at superluminal speeds without violating relativity. This can be achieved since they would be "riding" a "space wave" it can be difficult to understand but the concept is that since nothing says that space can't move faster than light, it would be possible, and the ship wouldn't be moving faster than light because relative to the space it would not be moving at all. For more information on the theory the Warp drive is also known as the Alcubierre drive and was originally theorized by Miguel Alcubierre (not sure if he was before or after Gene Roddenberry...)
                        Don't the Warp nacelles in Star Trek create a subspace bubble to make the ship go faster than light? I read this in an official Star Trek technical manual.

As for the topic, that's pretty cool, I never had doubts on it.
                        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                        Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

You are right, at this point the theories could be completely wrong to an extent, the real matters are does hyperspace exist, how does hyperspace work, and how can we get there.

We do have to be careful with our terminology though hyperspace is not technically a dimension at least not in the eyes of m-theory.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                            Don't the Warp nacelles in Star Trek create a subspace bubble to make the ship go faster than light? I read this in an official Star Trek technical manual.

As for the topic, that's pretty cool, I never had doubts on it.
                            I don't know for certain about the Star Trek universe but in real life, the warp drive creates a warp bubble around the ship which allows space to move faster than light instead of your matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                              I don't know for certain about the Star Trek universe but in real life, the warp drive creates a warp bubble around the ship which allows space to move faster than light instead of your matter.
                              I think that the article was referring to the Star Trek universe. That bubble also takes you partially into subspace as what I've read.
                              Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                              Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X