• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember it took multile viewings for me to understand this episode
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

great episode.
      jonas's apron one of the funniest moments in the entire 10 series had me laughing a lot.

and Tealc never did i think the 1st prime would be a firefighter.
      he has many hidden talents.

Comment

I really like this episode. I think the fact that Chris himself wrote it made it extra special as well.
        Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
        Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Originally posted by Ksenia View Post
          Just watched this episode again...I love the moment of realization that "AU/Dream Daniel" is actually Daniel, ascended - the "Hang in there, just a little while longer" line, and then cue the beautiful haunting piano melody first introduced with Daniel in "Abyss" - the entirety of it all gives me goose bumps. That last look that Daniel gives Teal'c on the bench means so much.

It's such a beautifully written episode...kudos to Christopher Judge.
          Completely agree to this posting. Finding a way to get back to "Abyss" and expressing through having this arc, that Daniel is really there, was a really good creative idea. In fact there were even more repetitions, as "that's a promise" and "you'll be ok". Same hairstyle, same cloths, same camera angle in the final scene. BUT, I do not think that this was the writing of CJ. He was very well known for not knowing his own lines, let alone those of others. I really assume, that only someone who is really very familiar with ALL the episodes could come up with that idea. And that would be the regular writers of the show. So, it is definetly right to give CJ most of the credit for this ep., but not for this particular creative idea.

Comment

Are you saying TPTB gave credit to Chris Judge for writing the script when he didn't?

I disagree. I think it's clear from other scripts that Chris wrote or helped with that he has a great sense of story and is a terrific writer. Michael Shanks, on the other hand...

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

No, it did not say that at all. What I said, is actually written in my post. So I find it quite irritating that someone - in this case 'you' - draws that conclusion.
              And now I am a little bit helpless, for I do not know, how to explain this - without just repeating what I already wrote.

But I try:
              There are repetitions of "Daniel lines" in that ep., that clearly connect this ep. to "Abyss". But you have to watch really carefully and you must remember "Abyss" very well to recognize this. This is not so much about "writing", but rather about "creative ideas". And these creative ideas can be added to a show any time, regardless of the written script. It is absolutely normal, that in the process of production those are added in one way or the other. So, my comment does not have anything to do with CJ not writing the script, but only that I do not believe, that it was his idea to have Daniel repeat his lines from "Abyss". Because you cannot expect an actor to remember lines that were shot months ago, that were not even his own.

Comment

But he would have had access to previous scripts; he wouldn't have had to remember the lines.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                  But he would have had access to previous scripts; he wouldn't have had to remember the lines.
                  Sure, but now it is getting almost philosophical...
                  But I try again and realise that it is not as obvious to understand my Point of view as I initially thought.
                  When the actors write an episode, it is more or less a standalone, focusing on their own character, for that is the one best known to them. So, the episode might get a follow up later on, but won't be part of a greater arc. Because only the regular writers overview where they want to go with the show.
                  My opinion is, that it does not work that way, that you FIRST get the idea and afterwards look for scripts and former eps, that make it happen. Rather, you must have it already in mind in the first place to get the idea to use it. As a consequence, CJ of course wanted to have Daniel in this ep. to help him and wrote him into it.
                  But then the step to "and there will be references to "Abyss", by having him repeat certain sentences to show the audience that he is not only a fracture of my imagination" requires to know Abyss almost by heart. And that is s.th. that goes with the regular writers of the show, not with the actors, who shoot several eps. similtaniously and do not know what an ep. is really about until they watch it with everybody else on TV.

Comment

I think that would be true for a show without a good show runner (i.e., someone whose job is to remember what has come before and try to keep new shows in line with old ones), like (forgive me RDA) MacGyver.

MacGyver is full of inconsistencies that come from not having someone to review the scripts to make sure they don't contradict things established elsewhere. Stargate had such people. Plus, Chris was on the show. He talks somewhere (possibly on the commentary), about working with the show runners and other script writers.

I think he had an idea to get rid of Teal'c's symbiote. Someone else may have suggested bringing Daniel into it, but it was CJ's job to make that work. I think he did a great job.

Seaboe

Comment

I must admit I had real difficulties understanding this ep!!! I do now but I still do not like it although there are good scenes. It's like a cobweb that has got entangled - I think it's brilliantly done but maybe my mind doesn't work accordingly.
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

This sort of story structure is very much a matter of taste. I couldn't write something like this in a million years (I'm actually a pretty linear thinker), but I love watching it.

Seaboe

Comment

This is easily in the top 10 best episodes and it does it without extensive CGI. The script and acting in this one were great. Seeing Christopher Judge be able to do heartfelt acting blew my mind. He has a great range of talent that we never get to see when he is Teal'c.

And again the cameraman and director are amazing. The scene on the bridge (as firefighters) had epic technical organization. Watch that opening scene, watch this entire episode, again and pay attention to the camerawork and music. It's easy to not even notice it - when it's done next to perfect and you are drawn into the drama. The last few episodes have had much better than normal camerawork. Something must have changed. It's not because they got new equipment; they've just learned how to use it a lot better.

This episode succeeds on a whole. It's not just the technical aspects but the dialogue, presentation, and well, we get to see Daniel for a few random scenes, right? That was a nice surprise. The way the script jumps between Teal'c's dreaming states and didn't explain it until the very end, was really cool.

Comment

...and a bit confusing (for me).
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

That is the point. It makes more sense the second time around
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

...or the third.
                                CARPE DIEM
                                ANJA

Comment

Working...
                                X