• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Unquiet Dead (2703/103)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 27
    THE UNQUIET DEAD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2703

In Victorian England, Rose and the Doctor meet Charles Dickens and are embroiled in a funeral home's inability to keep its dead in their coffins.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:23 PM.

Unquiet Dead, the first trip into the past. Some really, really great stuff going on in this episode. Simon Callow as Charles Dickens... great visuals and awesome sound, interesting story, and a fantastic guest cast rounded out by Sneed and Gwyneth. The only problem I have with it is the somewhat rushed ending. Pacing is something this series had to learn how to handle.

This ep also had the distinction of having my favorite special effect. Watch the scene where the TARDIS dematerializes in front of Dickens... watch the snow.

8/10
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

It was good, very cleaver
      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I'm really starting to like Dr. Who, good stories, quirkyness, british accents. It's utter perfection.

Comment

Did anyone catch last night's episode?

I've seen it before and thought that is well done. Not my favorite of the series but an enjoyable gothic/ghost/sci-fi story. Simon Callow makes a dignified rendition of Charles Dickens; the 1800 sets and atmosphere where put to good use (the BBC is excellent at making period pieces); the producers get to showcase the flexibility of "Doctor Who", which redefines itself after each episode.

Some character development: the Doctor felt guilty about his mysterious involvement in the Time War and was bamboozled by the Gelph; Rose's past comes to light - her dead father and a locked up memory (Gwyneth mentioned "The Big Bad Wolf" while probing Rose's thoughts); the writer (Mark Gatiss) even added some arcs to Gwyneth and Dickens that added some depth to their short lived appearance.

The humor wasn't as OTT or slapstick which is good. I enjoyed the Doctor/Dickens interactions in the stage coach and the theater.

My only gripe was SciFi clipped a scene early after Rose changes into Victorian garb. The Doctor notices her and says "Blimey, you look beautiful . . . . For a human". Gahh!!

Comment

Look above you, we have episode threads

Spoilers for Doctor Who Season One/27
            Spoiler:
            Bad Wolf is something that will be done in the last two episodes, its a recurring thing that happens in EVERY episode, even the first two

Spoilers For Torchwood
            Spoiler:
            Gwyneth, or at least the actress who played her, is back in Torchwood, the spin off of the new series, as a regular, the show will begin in October of this year in the UK
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Dolp!

Sorry newbie mistake.

Comment

Moved my post from the general thread.
                I've seen it before and thought that is well done. Not my favorite of the series but an enjoyable gothic/ghost/sci-fi story. Simon Callow makes a dignified rendition of Charles Dickens; the 1800 sets and atmosphere where put to good use (the BBC is excellent at making period pieces); the producers get to showcase the flexibility of "Doctor Who", which redefines itself after each episode.

Some character development: the Doctor felt guilty about his mysterious involvement in the Time War and was bamboozled by the Gelph; Rose's past comes to light - her dead father and a locked up memory (Gwyneth mentioned "The Big Bad Wolf" while probing Rose's thoughts); the writer (Mark Gatiss) even added some arcs to Gwyneth and Dickens that added some depth to their short lived appearance.

The humor wasn't as OTT or slapstick which is good. I enjoyed the Doctor/Dickens interactions in the stage coach and the theater.

My only gripe was SciFi clipped a scene early after Rose changes into Victorian garb. The Doctor notices her and says "Blimey, you look beautiful . . . . For a human". Gahh!!

Comment

Originally posted by lastro
                  Moved my post from the general thread.
                  That would have been great to see, I can't wait for july...
                  Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I liked it.
                    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

The Episode was a little creepy for my mum but kinda scared my little brother too

He balmed The Doctor Who episode for makeing him afraid to get tea. I thought that was funny. I was like "I told you it would be very scary!"

My mum was a little creeped out because of The Gelth and what they did to the people. That kinda made me think of the Gelth (inside the people) look like they needed sleep badly LOL

It was a good episode that made me start thinking more about the "somebody who isnt born yet dies in the past then what is supposed to happen to them?" sorta thing.

My dad (which is kind of a Cristopher Eccleston fan. my Mum and Dad think that Cristopher Eccleston is a great Doctor. So do I. ) hasnt seen the episode yet.

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

I thought that this episode was a soild one, brought out some good story arks that I would like to see explore a little futher. Not as good as The End of the World.

But this episode did have high points, like the fact that there is major charactar development in this episode and makes you stop to think a little bit.

More and more reason why I want to get this show on DVD. Another reason why I miss this show being on PBS.
                        "Nothing stays lost forever." The Triangle tag line. Now on DVD, own it forever.

Rose: "She slapped you!"
                        The Doctor: "900 years of time and space, and i've never been slapped by someone's mother."
                        Rose: "Your face!"
                        The Doctor:"it hurt!!"
                        The 9th Doctor/Rose from Aliens of London.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode... It was very good.

I also enjoyed how the aliens used the Doctor thru guilt. Clever.

I also liked how we found out more regarding Rose.

Mattathias

Comment

Nice story.

It's cool that the Doctor doesn't always have to be the one to save the day.
                            In that way, the show has gotten back to its roots...that the Doctor enables change, but isn't necessarily in control.

Now if the TARDIS wasn't able to be steered properly, it would be much closer to the first few years of the classic series.

Hitting the wrong town and being nine years off is nothing.
                            In earlier times, the Doctor would be lucky to make it to the right planet in the correct century on the third attempt.

And in the very beginning of the classic series, the Doctor had virtually no control at all over his destination.

Rose would have been effectively cut off from her loved ones until the Doctor was able to program their flight on his old faulty navigational system.

That would have dramatically changed the tone of her character.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                              Nice story.

It's cool that the Doctor doesn't always have to be the one to save the day.
                              In that way, the show has gotten back to its roots...that the Doctor enables change, but isn't necessarily in control.

Now if the TARDIS wasn't able to be steered properly, it would be much closer to the first few years of the classic series.

Hitting the wrong town and being nine years off is nothing.
                              In earlier times, the Doctor would be lucky to make it to the right planet in the correct century on the third attempt.

And in the very beginning of the classic series, the Doctor had virtually no control at all over his destination.

Rose would have been effectively cut off from her loved ones until the Doctor was able to program their flight on his old faulty navigational system.

That would have dramatically changed the tone of her character.

My theory is that the TARDIS tends to go in the general direction the Doctor tries to steer her toward, but she keeps an eye out for trouble, then steers toward it. She is telepathically linked to the Doctor, and may know the sort of thing he likes to involve himself in, so she makes a beeline for it. When the Doctor tries to make a hop in the middle of an adventure, he almost always controls it perfectly, because she isn't fighting him then.
                              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X