No announcement yet.

Finally! A definitive answer on the real size of Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, TPTB and their continuity errors, you think they would have learned from the '3 shot zat' by now. If it takes 3 ZPM's for the CIty to fully function, then the place must be as massive as the Manhattan scale shown above. But remember, if it takes at least 1 to power the shield, 1 to fully power the weapons, then logically it takes another one to operate the stardrive. And seeing you need the shield to protect the city from the vacuum of space, then I suppose it's theoretically possible to fly the city on just 2. But
    Spoiler:
    In 'First Strike, they apparently get the city to fly, even though there is only 1 ZPM readily available (although a quick deus ex can solve that problem)
    Saboo - "You know nothing of the crunch, you've never even been to the crunch!"

Naboo - "I've been there once"

Saboo - "Oh, took a little day trip around the crunch did we? We can all go as tourists, "Oh look, that's a bit of crunch...""

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      And that is exactly like the city it will never like, unless they intend to stop and restart the show from scratch.
      would be a twist if they learnt that the city wasn't Atlantis and there's a real city size ship out there somewhere. I personally think that would be very lame but wouldn't put it past TPTB .

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
        would be a twist if they learnt that the city wasn't Atlantis and there's a real city size ship out there somewhere. I personally think that would be very lame but wouldn't put it past TPTB .
        On the next Stargate: Atlantis

A Random Pegasus Resident, on some random planet, to the team: "So you are from the City of the Ancients huh? We have our own dwelling of the ancestors as well."

He brings the team to a thriving metropolis completely protected by a shield, advanced weaponry, and the place is 10 times the size of NYC.

Sheppard: "Its more of a hamlet then a city, really."
        Last edited by npd2004; 29 January 2007, 06:38 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Death From Above View Post
          But remember, if it takes at least 1 to power the shield, 1 to fully power the weapons, then logically it takes another one to operate the stardrive. And seeing you need the shield to protect the city from the vacuum of space, then I suppose it's theoretically possible to fly the city on just 2.
          I would say that it possibly runs the shield off ZPM 1, the inertial dampeners off ZPM 2 and the star drive off ZPM 3, that is one way of explaining it away Or the city can operate on two ZPM's but the third is used for safety (If you have three and one depletes you have time to swap it with a fresh one without loosening the city shield or inertial dampeners)

Comment

Originally posted by Death From Above View Post
            Ah, TPTB and their continuity errors, you think they would have learned from the '3 shot zat' by now. If it takes 3 ZPM's for the CIty to fully function, then the place must be as massive as the Manhattan scale shown above. But remember, if it takes at least 1 to power the shield, 1 to fully power the weapons, then logically it takes another one to operate the stardrive. And seeing you need the shield to protect the city from the vacuum of space, then I suppose it's theoretically possible to fly the city on just 2. But
            Spoiler:
            In 'First Strike, they apparently get the city to fly, even though there is only 1 ZPM readily available (although a quick deus ex can solve that problem)
            Atlantis is as big as Lower Manhattan, the key word is Lower.
            That would be crazy if it was the size of the whole of Manhattan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Manhattan

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              I thought we solved the Deady-landing thing a long time ago? As in, it lands in the water alongside the piers.
              There is also water in the center of some piers... sooo...

Comment

Originally posted by XJamesX View Post
                I think that estimate is really small. Not to say thay I'm correct but I based mine on this screen cap from echoes. From the numbers on the screen shot I estimate Atlantis is ~5800M so 5.8K in diameter at its farthest peers.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...scalegood2.jpg

I also scaled the model i'm working on to ~5.8K and put my 450M daedalus class in with it to give you an idea of the sizes.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...lantis5800.jpg

Heres another scaling pic I made to show various SG ships compared to eachother. In this pic atlantis is about 100M smaller but you get the general idea.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...sxx/oriat7.jpg

Not sure if these help at all but I thought I'd share.

-James-
                The Wraith Cruiser is at least 50% longer.
                And why are there two different sized Orii ships?
                The smaller one looks right.
                I think the Orion is a tad bit small though... not much, but just a slight bit.

Originally posted by Xeon_1 View Post
                its diameter is a bit smaller then a mile and it about half a mile high
                I think Atlantis is frickin huge also, but don't forget how THICK the base is, that has got to be at least an Empire states building in height.

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
                My estimates have it at approx 1.5 miles in diameter, and approx 1/2 mile high (probably alittle more) from atlantis base to the top of the centre spire.

Hive ship is 2.5 miles long so theres a reference for ya.

Aurora-Class Warship is 665m long, 237m wide.
                Those scales are totally wrong. The Aurora Class ship is at least 1 kilometer long.
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 February 2017, 11:01 AM. Reason: Tags edited.

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post

I think Atlantis is frickin huge also, but don't forget how THICK the base is, that has got to be at least an Empire states building in height.

Those scales are totally wrong. The Aurora Class ship is at least 1 kilometer long.
                  Also the weapon satellite was that big

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgod View Post
                    Atlantis is as big as Lower Manhattan, the key word is Lower.
                    That would be crazy if it was the size of the whole of Manhattan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Manhattan

Not according to the show dialog or to Mr. Mallozzi when he had his thread on Gateworld. Both sources say "Manhattan" without any qualifiers.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Lets also not forget that we can't really define dimension from the angle that we typically see the Deadelus landing by. That angle is difficult to place and looks in on the city.

However, if the city was anywhere near the size of a Ha'Tak or a Wraith Hive Ship. The Expedition team would have likely been able to explore the whole dang ship a season ago, if not in the first season alone. So the thing has to be close to the size of Manhattan since the expedition team started out as less then two hundred and could now be close to 4-500 personnel? They're still saying the haven't even explored 'half' the city.

Now, if you really want to have a stunning indication of how large the city COULD be. Watch the season 3 episode, 'Sunday.' When Carson locks the Infirmary level down, it's a miniscule sliver of the central command tower. If the scale indicated is anywhere close to being accurate, the central command tower is is close to three hundred levels in height, ABOVE THE WATERLINE alone.

Additionally, the new CGI models appear to be moving more in the direction of depicting Atlantis in an epic, highly detailed scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                        Or decide to arbitrarily re-scale the city at a later point. As has been mentioned before, that wouldn't exactly be new in the history of Stargate.
                        They already started, because freshier measurements made it 5 km large. Well, I didn't check those, so they could be completely wrong, and I can't even remember where to find them, but if that's any indication of the so called subtle scaling up of the CGI model...

Point being, any way you look at it, it's lame.

- Either they keep it that way, and that's Atlantis, the villageship.
                        - They scale it up, and then it literally screws up like more than two seasons of SGA.
                        - Or they find the real Atlantis. Top notch lamest trick.

You can't even say that they wanted to keep it moderate to stick with a realistic "close to Platon" depiction, but point being that it doesn't even respect the few baselines of the old design, that is, the concentric rivers.

Plus they made it clear in the show that the myth was lousily inspired from the "real" cityship of Atlantis.
                        That is, how a ship artificially sunk beneath the surface of an ocean as an aditionnal mean of protection, somewhere in Pegasus, turned out, for production reasons, to be the source of inspiration of a city that sank, somewhere on Earth, because of some massive flood.

From there, why would they bother with a minuscule city and not go for a really big one?

But forget about it. Case is closed. The central spine's main balcony is way to identifiable to do some half assed retconing now, and this piece of the structure served to know how tall the central spire was.

So if you're really so disapointed with the size of the city, and if you can't get past it, then I think it's just going to spoil the show for you.

And you know the rest.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                          Yeah I had no idea how big the cruiser was so I just kinda put it in there.
                          That pic was actually used in another scaling thread and the 2 Ori ships show 2 different possibilities. The smaller one is the one I came up with and I agree is the most accurate.
                          from what I gathered the Orion is a little over 1K and in that pic its about 1.03K But I think it could be bigger that was just a guess..
                          -James-

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                            In other words, it's about the size of two Ha'taks and much smaller than Anubis' flagship.

Gee. What a nifty city.
                            I don't think so, two Ha'taks, the Daedalus is relatively the same size as a Ha'tak and when it lands it doesn't even take up a full pier. I do believe it may be the size of Manhattan, why else would their be transporters everywhere. You have to consider all of the factors, like hieght, length, assets and capacity.
                            sigpic

Comment

Deadelus only ever appeared equal in dimensions to Ha'taks in 'Camelot.' Which is arguably discredited as it's true dimensions because the CGI scene and the scales were messed up for whatever reason (Supposedly to make the Ori Toilets look ominous.) Deadelus isn't that much larger then a Prometheus and the Prometheus wasn't very large compared to a Ha'tak to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by XJamesX View Post
                                Yeah I had no idea how big the cruiser was so I just kinda put it in there.
                                That pic was actually used in another scaling thread and the 2 Ori ships show 2 different possibilities. The smaller one is the one I came up with and I agree is the most accurate.
                                from what I gathered the Orion is a little over 1K and in that pic its about 1.03K But I think it could be bigger that was just a guess..
                                -James-
                                The Orion is about 2.5 times longer than the Daedalus with the Daedalus being 450 meters long.

Cruisers are somewhat larger than Orion Class ships, maybe 25-50% longer.

Guys, don't forget that the piers themselves are the thickness of a moderate skyscrapper.
                                So there are litterally hundreds of skyscrapers worth of space and equipment in the piers alone, let alone the building on them, and the skyscraoppers in the central area.

Comment

Working...
                                X