This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Soureces for Ancient ships?

Does any one know what the Ancients used as a power source for the jumpers and their warships like the Aurora?
    Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

good question idk.....
    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
    Anime signature in spoiler tag
    Spoiler:
    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Magnets!!!!

No probably a similar equipment to the ZPM

Comment

My guess is the same as Stevo's. Probably a built in ZPM device.

It would be interesting to see the members of SGA pull the power source from a jumper or larger Lantian vessel for some reason or another, just to see how it all works.

Comment

sure would , we need an episode that (even briefly) shows us stuff like that (not a good explanation ) or a great discover by mckays science team and they can mount the power source to bc-304's

Comment

I thought it was those crystal things for puddle jumper type ships. Thats what powers the stargates isn't it?
            An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

arnt they just control crystals?

Comment

my guess would be something similar to what powered the Lantian Sat.

Comment

This is my theory.
                  When the Ancients first arrived in Pegasus, they built (or brought with them) loads of ZPMs in order to allow the expansion of their race. When Ascension became a very real and not-too-distant possibility, they decided to switch to smaller less efficient power sources in order to avoid leaving a load of live ZPMs lying around the place for young races and/or Wraith to find and blow themselves/someone else up with.
                  So they used the less efficient/dangerous power sources in Aurora-class, PJs, etc and only ran Atlantis on ZPMs because their less efficient power sources just couldn`t provide it with the power it needed.

So personally I don`t think there will be alot of charged ZPMs left lying around in the galaxy although I`m sure we could pull/reverse engineer a few smaller power sources to use as a replacement for the Naquadah generators.

Comment

I don't think it had anything to do with Ascension making them cut back on producing ZPM's. I think it was simply more to do with the fact that ZPM's were so rare, that it was inadequate to give all PJ's, Ships & Weapons Platforms their own ZPM. Especially when you see that PJ's only need minimal power to run on, the same went for the Sat Weapons Platform, which could be run on a MK 1 generator.

The ZPM's will have been saved for their cities & important installations that were under Wraith attack.

Not to mention the fact of what would happen should something with a ZPM powering it be destroyed etc. Therefore that's probably one of the main reasons that it wasn't deployed in everything as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath
                      Does any one know what the Ancients used as a power source for the jumpers and their warships like the Aurora?
                      Positive thinking.

Lots and lots of positive thinking.

Probably some magnets involved too.

Comment

READ THE SPOILERS!!!

Spoiler:
                        well i dont know about the ZPMs being a rare thing because in the next season of atlantis we find another mini atlantis and find the robots there that the ancients made and in the spoiler it says they have loads and loads of ZPM's at there disposel.... so rare i dont know.. i can tell you this if we where able to get our hands on say 20-30 of them... our battleships would be just as shielded as the ori ships... remember the asgard shields where strong enough to withstand the ori beam it was just our capasiters and powersources overloaded/drained way to fast..... with a ZPM powering all our earth ships we would be able to just sit there for awhile shooting at the ori ships almost as long as they could just sit there at the SG-1 fanale getting shot at by our ships! we should jack at least 20 of them

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Magents'd be fun....

I think that the ZPM was kind of difficult to manufactur, thats why that they wearn't used in more widespread applications. I think that they'd probably use a less efficiant, more easily constructable power source, simply to make their lives much easier. Nothing to do with availbility, everything to do with easibility (made that word up)

I think though that the Jumpers are actually recharged by the city of Arlantis itself... I think it was "Grace under pressure" where Zelenka was worring about power being drained so quickly. That must mean that something somewhere is recharging them.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                            READ THE SPOILERS!!!

Spoiler:
                            well i dont know about the ZPMs being a rare thing because in the next season of atlantis we find another mini atlantis and find the robots there that the ancients made and in the spoiler it says they have loads and loads of ZPM's at there disposel.... so rare i dont know.. i can tell you this if we where able to get our hands on say 20-30 of them... our battleships would be just as shielded as the ori ships... remember the asgard shields where strong enough to withstand the ori beam it was just our capasiters and powersources overloaded/drained way to fast..... with a ZPM powering all our earth ships we would be able to just sit there for awhile shooting at the ori ships almost as long as they could just sit there at the SG-1 fanale getting shot at by our ships! we should jack at least 20 of them
                            You have to remember though that the Ancients were constantly under attack from the Wraith though, so ZPM's would put put straight to use. Whereas the Asurans have direct knowledge how to construct them, as well as them being able to live without constant Wraith bombardments that drains their power all the time. That means that they have had time to build up their collection.

ZPM's must be very rare, after all they only got 1 left on Earth, then Janus only gave Weir a list of 5 planets with known ZPM's.

The destructive force of a ZPM going up was probably considered too dangerous by the council, especially since human populated worlds would almost always be in the danger zone, since that's where the Lantians would be fighting the Wraith trying to cull the planets.

Comment

I remember something said in the tower about the Jumpers long with out power. Leads me to think we can recharge the jumpers power supply. I really wish they would explain this more. We should also have a lot more tech than we do
                              "A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject"

Comment

Working...
                              X