No announcement yet.

Paradise Lost (615)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed something a little disturbing in more episodes, but this episode is a good example of this. Everyone else has the feeling that when a recurring character (doctor Lee in this case) has a different opinion from someone from the main cast (Sam Carter in this case) that the recurring character is painted almost as the bad guy for this reason?

Comment

No. I don't think Lee is being portrayed as the bad guy, I think he's the voice of common sense, and shows up how obsessed Carter is. I think Lee is also another example of a character with a strong voice and skills who was sacrificed for the humor of it (compare him here versus Zero Hour, where he looks like a doofus).

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I agree that doctor Lee was competent character there and that he was used as a comic figure later. I did not have such a big problem with him in Zero Hour (although this subplot was played for humour, I think that his moves to resolve the problem were competent enough) but with the beginning of S9, he started to behave as a fool periodically. But for his defense, he definitely was not alone in such a trend.

I have this feeling sometimes that recurring characters are portrayed like this when they are in opposition to main cast. For example, colonel Kendrick in Affinity (although he behaved as an ass) had some valid points about Tealc attracting attention by his behaviour outside the base, but Jack obviously ignored this warnings.
        Last edited by Manche; 29 March 2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

They didn't just do this with recurring characters. They turned Jack into an ass numerous times.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Jack has had ass moments since Season 1
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Good episode. It could be a bit better on that paradise planet, sometimes it had some boring moments.
              I like interaction between Teal'c and Sam. She showed us some feelings and how fragile she is. It was nice
              Furlings conversation was funny. But the truth is,that it really sounds cute

Comment

It's all the fur... They probably regret the name in hindsight.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I enjoyed seeing Doctor Lee standing up to Sam.

Comment

I remember liking this episode last time I watched it because of Maybourne and O’Neill moments, but it doesn’t seem to have the same appeal to me this time around.

Comment

Working...
                    X