Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Default Re: Paradise Lost (615)

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I like this episode because Jack figures it out on his own, without Carter or Daniel telling him where to look. It's a quiet, mostly stand alone episode (I realize I'm in the minority in preferring those).
    It's a good stand-alone episode -- that I can most certainly agree with. It just can't keep my attention for 42 minutes.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

I'm with FH on this one. This episode bores me. I don't really care for Maybourne and Jack on the alien planet. It's dull and I feel like nothing significant happens. The Goa:uld and plant seems like it was added as an afterthought with not much planning. SG1 trying to find Jack has been done. I'm giving it a poor. The Furlings save it from a terrible.

I only got an 7/15 on the quiz since their was over a month break between episodes. I'll have to wait for my Internet to be fixed before I can do the puzzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

12:23

7 minutes 7 seconds. I can do better
    Jelgate is right

7:27

Same amount of 7's as Jelgate, but 20 seconds slower.
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Staff Sergeant

I noticed something a little disturbing in more episodes, but this episode is a good example of this. Everyone else has the feeling that when a recurring character (doctor Lee in this case) has a different opinion from someone from the main cast (Sam Carter in this case) that the recurring character is painted almost as the bad guy for this reason?

Major

No. I don't think Lee is being portrayed as the bad guy, I think he's the voice of common sense, and shows up how obsessed Carter is. I think Lee is also another example of a character with a strong voice and skills who was sacrificed for the humor of it (compare him here versus Zero Hour, where he looks like a doofus).

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Staff Sergeant

I agree that doctor Lee was competent character there and that he was used as a comic figure later. I did not have such a big problem with him in Zero Hour (although this subplot was played for humour, I think that his moves to resolve the problem were competent enough) but with the beginning of S9, he started to behave as a fool periodically. But for his defense, he definitely was not alone in such a trend.

I have this feeling sometimes that recurring characters are portrayed like this when they are in opposition to main cast. For example, colonel Kendrick in Affinity (although he behaved as an ass) had some valid points about Tealc attracting attention by his behaviour outside the base, but Jack obviously ignored this warnings.
    Last edited by Manche; March 29th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.

Major

They didn't just do this with recurring characters. They turned Jack into an ass numerous times.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Jack has had ass moments since Season 1
    Jelgate is right

Chief Master Sergeant

Good episode. It could be a bit better on that paradise planet, sometimes it had some boring moments.
    I like interaction between Teal'c and Sam. She showed us some feelings and how fragile she is. It was nice
    Furlings conversation was funny. But the truth is,that it really sounds cute

It's all the fur... They probably regret the name in hindsight.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112