This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Repositories- Atlantis?

We know the ancients built repositories of all their knowledge and that Atlantis has a massive database on it. Whats the general consensus regarding the information in the two does Atlantis contain all the information stored in a repository. I assume yes because the repositories are quite small and Atlantis is huge in which case we should have a copy of the information in the ancient repository. (I assume by now we have copied and downloaded all the information from Atlantis's main computer database even if its a few hard drives worth at a time taken back with the Daedalus)
    the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

Some believe that the MW Ancients were more advanced then the Lanteans. Thus the Ancient repository would have more information. Also, the Ancient repository does more than just download the info, it turns you into an Ancient.

Although Atlantis is huge, I can guarentee there are hundreds of instances of the database in the city. Plus thousands of rooms, lifesupport, communications, artificial gravity(Atlantis is a ship after all), and countless other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
      Some believe that the MW Ancients were more advanced then the Lanteans. Thus the Ancient repository would have more information. Also, the Ancient repository does more than just download the info, it turns you into an Ancient.

Although Atlantis is huge, I can guarentee there are hundreds of instances of the database in the city. Plus thousands of rooms, lifesupport, communications, artificial gravity(Atlantis is a ship after all), and countless other systems.
      not likely MW and Lanteans aren't the same
      http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
      The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

Atlantis base the city contains a massive database of all Ancient knowledge, unfortunately its all written in Ancient and the database is sooo huge its hard to find exactly what your looking for

The MW repositories are different - they download all the ancient knowledge into your head and begins to change your brain chemistry (resulting in Ancient-like powers), however human brains aren't advanced enough to handle the process and it kills them

About the Ancients in Pegasus (Lantians) being different from the Ancients in the MW, its probably a load of bull - the Ancients of the MW left the MW on Atlantis and became the Lantians, then 10,000 years ago the Lantians returned to the MW.

As far as we know all the Ancients except those who escaped on Atlantis either wiped out or ascended during the plague. Infact most Ancient structures found in the MW predate the plague
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LOKI LOKI
          We know the ancients built repositories of all their knowledge and that Atlantis has a massive database on it. Whats the general consensus regarding the information in the two does Atlantis contain all the information stored in a repository. I assume yes because the repositories are quite small and Atlantis is huge in which case we should have a copy of the information in the ancient repository. (I assume by now we have copied and downloaded all the information from Atlantis's main computer database even if its a few hard drives worth at a time taken back with the Daedalus)
          We are no where near finished copying all the data from Atlantis and when we do finally get all the info, we then have to study it, which will take even longer. Even the Asgard have not completed study of most of it, they have only just scratched the surface

Comment

Since the Ancients were so "advanced", shouldn't they have thought of having any instuctions on how to understand/study the knowledge stored inside those things?
            "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

No they didnt intentionally leave it for others to use!

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
              Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
              the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
              Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
              The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                We are no where near finished copying all the data from Atlantis and when we do finally get all the info, we then have to study it, which will take even longer. Even the Asgard have not completed study of most of it, they have only just scratched the surface
                I think you are confusing the issue. The Asgard have not made any comments regarding their ability to use or understand the Ancient database found in Atlantis. The did say that they had recovered a couple of the "head sucking" repositories and that they had barely scratched the surface of the information contained therein. We must recogize the fundamental difference between the Atlantis database and the MW repositories. Perhaps the most fundamental difference is that the Atlantis database is machine accessible and presumably indexed, the milky way repositories on the other hand do not seem to provision ay access other than the mental link, we have been given no clue as to the internal representation of the repository's information, no given to understand how one might be able to interpret the information.

Perhaps the greatest difference is in their purpose. Presumably, the Atlantis database represents the working knowledge of the inhabitants of the ancient city, and what ever historical and scientific data they wished to archive.

On the other hand we do not know the purpose of the MW repositories. We can easily imagine that they were placed by the plaque afflcited ancients to aid future races. Or perhaps they were used to in the actual ascension process, giving the Ancients the knowledge they needed to ascend. Perhaps they even served a different purpose. We have seen that dispite their great knowledge, ascended being are not omniscient. We even saw that Anubis, despite his ascended knowledge, desired possesion of a repository. Therefore the respositories may fulfill a function that we do not understand.

To return to the topic. The MW repositories seem to be more powerful, at least they have the power to force understanding and ability upon a user, but at the same time they are pretty much useless to use. On the other hand the Atlantis database is accessible. I could not say whether one contains information the other does not.

Comment

The repositories seem so good because think about it like this. If you have all that knowledge in your head...you can construct whatever you want because if you know it all then you understand it. You cant just tell the database what your problem is and it will build a solution. Like Jack knew how to build the disruptor because he had a major understanding of exactly what he needed to build.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                  Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                  the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                  Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                  The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
                    I think you are confusing the issue. The Asgard have not made any comments regarding their ability to use or understand the Ancient database found in Atlantis. The did say that they had recovered a couple of the "head sucking" repositories and that they had barely scratched the surface of the information contained therein. We must recogize the fundamental difference between the Atlantis database and the MW repositories. Perhaps the most fundamental difference is that the Atlantis database is machine accessible and presumably indexed, the milky way repositories on the other hand do not seem to provision ay access other than the mental link, we have been given no clue as to the internal representation of the repository's information, no given to understand how one might be able to interpret the information.

Perhaps the greatest difference is in their purpose. Presumably, the Atlantis database represents the working knowledge of the inhabitants of the ancient city, and what ever historical and scientific data they wished to archive.

On the other hand we do not know the purpose of the MW repositories. We can easily imagine that they were placed by the plaque afflcited ancients to aid future races. Or perhaps they were used to in the actual ascension process, giving the Ancients the knowledge they needed to ascend. Perhaps they even served a different purpose. We have seen that dispite their great knowledge, ascended being are not omniscient. We even saw that Anubis, despite his ascended knowledge, desired possesion of a repository. Therefore the respositories may fulfill a function that we do not understand.

To return to the topic. The MW repositories seem to be more powerful, at least they have the power to force understanding and ability upon a user, but at the same time they are pretty much useless to use. On the other hand the Atlantis database is accessible. I could not say whether one contains information the other does not.
                    Thta is what I meant about the Asgard barely scratching the surface, from the repositories. The repositories are usless for us to use but we dont know whether it would be for the Nox or the Tollan, etc. and as for the Nox I think they have actually used a repository before seeing as they know what they know and their tech is very similar to that of the ancients.

Comment

I think that the two main "repositories" of information, the head grabber and the Atlantis database do serve different purposes, but I think probably contain much of the same information. The difference is how they go about it. I think that the head grabbers are there to give a person an in depth view and understanding of all the information thats in it, mostly I think, to stop somone like the Go'uld from ever using the information. It didn't just give you the information, it gave you the experience to use it wisely.

The Atlantis database on the other hand, was in an Ancient city, for use by the Ancients, and so didn't have any of those safeguards. I bet they felt that they where safe there.

I wonder though if they planted any of those head grabbers in the Pegasus galaxy, or if they thought it was to risky once the wraith appeared.

Comment

Originally posted by TjomasC
                        I think that the two main "repositories" of information, the head grabber and the Atlantis database do serve different purposes, but I think probably contain much of the same information. The difference is how they go about it. I think that the head grabbers are there to give a person an in depth view and understanding of all the information thats in it, mostly I think, to stop somone like the Go'uld from ever using the information. It didn't just give you the information, it gave you the experience to use it wisely.

The Atlantis database on the other hand, was in an Ancient city, for use by the Ancients, and so didn't have any of those safeguards. I bet they felt that they where safe there.

I wonder though if they planted any of those head grabbers in the Pegasus galaxy, or if they thought it was to risky once the wraith appeared.
                        Maybe they never needed to because the meeting place of the four great races was in the MW and so that seems like the best place to put those and as for a safeguard against the Gou'ald, I donbt think so seeing as Anubis was after it and obviously knew he could use it.

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun
                          Since the Ancients were so "advanced", shouldn't they have thought of having any instuctions on how to understand/study the knowledge stored inside those things?
                          They did. The MW reposetory's are the last anceint made technology(Most likly)

They we're made to pass on the knowleage of a dieng race.
                          Like the room said "The place of our lagacy". Why whould a race make something like that unless they know their gonna die? The returners from pegasus made those things. They look like the last technology the alterans made meaning its the newest and most likly made by the lanteans(It looks like the orlin cannon).

Atlantis may hold just as much knowleage but its not made like a reposetory.

Gifts
                          -X-
                          --------------
                          Click Me And Win A Pie!

Comment

When they are considering destroying atlantis they say we could take about 9% of the database on the hard drives they had so i think taking a copy for studying and safekeeping in the MW galaxy should have been done by now

Also yes the repositories put it all in ur head but i think its our brains that reorganise it into useful stuff sub consciously as they cant handle the information. If it happened to everyone then the asgard could have used the repositories repeatedly as they have the ability to take the info back out so they could think hmmm we have a prpoblem stick their head in solve it and then take the database back out again.
                            the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

Comment

^They probably have started to download/copy some of the database onto the hard drives and take it to the MW now that the Deadulus is making return trips to Atlantis and if not they should have done, I mean TB hard drives are out now and although they still wont hold much compared to the Ancient database, they will hold more than GB hard drives and if the Deadulus takes 100 TB hard drives to Atlantis everytime it goes and takes 100 back to the MW then we could have hundreds of scientists studying it

Comment

Working...
                              X