This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
    ^They probably have started to download/copy some of the database onto the hard drives and take it to the MW now that the Deadulus is making return trips to Atlantis and if not they should have done, I mean TB hard drives are out now and although they still wont hold much compared to the Ancient database, they will hold more than GB hard drives and if the Deadulus takes 100 TB hard drives to Atlantis everytime it goes and takes 100 back to the MW then we could have hundreds of scientists studying it
    They have. In "Avalon" and "Prototype" SG-1 refer to information from the database sent back by Atlantis
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
      They have. In "Avalon" and "Prototype" SG-1 refer to information from the database sent back by Atlantis
      Kool. There I go ago again not payin attention to that stuff *slaps self*

Comment

atlantis was an ANCIENT occupied city the ones in the milkyway were a marker to show they actually existed

Comment

Originally posted by LOKI LOKI
          We know the ancients built repositories of all their knowledge and that Atlantis has a massive database on it. Whats the general consensus regarding the information in the two does Atlantis contain all the information stored in a repository. I assume yes because the repositories are quite small and Atlantis is huge in which case we should have a copy of the information in the ancient repository. (I assume by now we have copied and downloaded all the information from Atlantis's main computer database even if its a few hard drives worth at a time taken back with the Daedalus)
          You assume too much..
          Your first assumption deals with the storage capacities of the repositories and Atlantis itself. We don't know the totality of the contents of either database so its ridiculus to assume that they have the same contents.

Second Assumption: We don't know the meathod of storing either Ancient Database, so you cannot say that their size dictiates thier storage capacity.

Third Assumption: The Expediton was able to completely copy the entire ancient database. It has been confirmed that only parts of the database were transfered. It would take a LOT of hard drives because the database is HUGE.

Remember, when you assume, you make an a$$ of u and me

Comment

Originally posted by LOKI LOKI
            We know the ancients built repositories of all their knowledge and that Atlantis has a massive database on it. Whats the general consensus regarding the information in the two does Atlantis contain all the information stored in a repository. I assume yes because the repositories are quite small and Atlantis is huge in which case we should have a copy of the information in the ancient repository. (I assume by now we have copied and downloaded all the information from Atlantis's main computer database even if its a few hard drives worth at a time taken back with the Daedalus)
            Well, I believe that the repository(ies) were for inhabitants of the MW, to one day combat advarsaries of the Altera.

Their obvioslsy, post Atlantis, in design.
            Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Comment

I think the repositories might be a way for an ancient to back up their memories, sort of like how the Asgard back up themselves and transfer that into new cloned bodies.

I mean, ascension sounds like a wad of fun, but apparently there have been many people who ascended and had problems with the whole "non-interference" rule. Oma, Orlin, Athar, Daniel, Merlin, etc...

Perhaps some decided they needed a back-up plan in case ascension wasn't all it was cracked up to be; afterall, if you descend with intentions of interferring in mortal affairs, the other ascended beings erase your memories and, sometimes, leave you naked lying in a field.
              So, in order to get around the ascended rules, some ancient(s) made a backup of their memories before they ascended, that way, if things turned out different than expected, they could descend and carry on with all their knowledge up to the point that they ascended.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
                Some believe that the MW Ancients were more advanced then the Lanteans. Thus the Ancient repository would have more information. Also, the Ancient repository does more than just download the info, it turns you into an Ancient.

Although Atlantis is huge, I can guarentee there are hundreds of instances of the database in the city. Plus thousands of rooms, lifesupport, communications, artificial gravity(Atlantis is a ship after all), and countless other systems.
                I do believe this is the only way of explaining the blatant inconsistencies between the two series of Stargate, which is annoying because I really wished they were the same. I.e. differences in design and use of technology, as well as obvious differences in all lantians seen in Atlantis and behaviour exhibited by RDA and Ayiana. I just think they are one evolution of humanity (created by the weapon on Dha'kara) using the knowledge left by the former after they were wiped out for not converting to origin. It would explain why the alterans who attempted to create a time travelling device, which didn’t work during the time of the plague and why we have seen a puddle jumper with the technology of lantian design. I think the alterans were more advanced in certain areas (i.e. more culturally, physically and mentally advanced) the lantians who used alteran technology being more advanced technologically speaking. Lantains being more like us to the point of not being as mentally developed as alterans were and have to use artificial ascension

Comment

There were three civilizations of ancients, not two.

1. Altera - This group includes all the ancients that lived before the plague.

2. Lantian - This group includes all the ancients that survived the plague and eventually moved to Pegasus.

3. Avalonian? - This group includes all the ancients that returned to Earth from Atlantis following the Lantian-Wraith war.

It was the last group that made the repositories in the Milky Way. Also, the repositories, I think, hold an ancients memories, which is why they're so hard to decipher, and dangerous to download into your noggin.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Hmm i dont think the remains of the ancients could be called a seperate civilization - it was however this period of time that those ancients more than likely formed the great alliance. i still stand by the fact that Repositories match the tech used in the gate weapon, the weapon on Dha'kara and the the most important i think for evidence of the age of the ancients, the failed time travelling device from "Window of Opportunity". this definately came before the destruction of the Alteran race by the plague. I do think the Repositories however were used for consciencous thou cool idea

Comment

I think that jarnin is right on the basis that the Ancient civilization spanned many MILLIONS of years, so it is reasonable to belive that they devoloped into 3 or more distinct societies. In ten thousand years alone on our planet, how many countries and kingdoms have rose to power and fell again, each one unique, but all have been human in construction with differnt designs and ideas. It is not that hard to understand how over a very large time period, everything changes, even planets.

Comment

It does make u wonder what the ancients did after they came back to the MW Galaxy after leaving Atlantis & whether they built anymore technology or left a copy of the database like with the Ancient repository.

Matt

Rhyddid Ar gyfer Cymru

Comment

There probably is a repository in Atlantis, but only in a Siege-like situation should it come into play.
                          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                          Caboose: They could be worse?
                          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Id say the repositories are left around so the humans they spawned with the Dakara device could learn to advance...when we first saw the Repositories they were accompanied by the message "We are the Ancients, this is our legacy".

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                            Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                            the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                            Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                            The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Working...
                            X