Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Stargate Smoke and Mirrors (614)

Visit the Episode GuideDISCUSS ...
    SMOKE AND MIRRORS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 614

Colonel O'Neill is charged with the murder of a politician, and the rest of the team must uncover a conspiracy to clear his name.

Visit the Episode Guide >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; February 28th, 2016 at 12:53 AM.

Default Re: Smoke and Mirrors (614)

I liked the way they tied in old technology (s3 Foothold) with the on going NID/Kinsey arc.

I also liked the way the ending played out, and I'm not usually one for flashbacks.

I just love to hate that smarmy Kinsey too especially at the end I just wanted to deck him when he said "You just won me the Whitehouse".
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

I hadn't watched this episode until after I'd watched Season 7 so I was really wondering how Kinsey was there when he got shot in this episode

The image-inducer thingys were an unexpected twist too! I never thought they'd make a comeback......

lol, Teal'c interrogating the person who sold off the tech was priceless. I was laughing all throughout that scene. The expression on Teal'c's face is just too funny for some reason

This episode was great. And I loved the title

Staff Sergeant

Was holographic Jack wearing the same clothes he had on when mimicked by the machine in "Foothold"?

That Kinsey just won't die.

You know I think you might be right. They might be the same clothes

Airman

I enjoyed this episode. Good mix of earth politics and a continuation from a previous episode.

I laughed out loud when out of nowhere Teal'c brutally clothes-lined that scientist he and Jonas were pursuing and then his description of events to Gen Hammond back at the base.

I must admit I was glad when I thought Kinsey was dead. I dont like the idea of him becoming President. I havent seen season 7 but I suspect he will help SG1 out sometime in the future, kind of like Maybourne's 180 from bad to bad but helpful.

I like that bad but helpful thing with Maybourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydderch Hael
    Was holographic Jack wearing the same clothes he had on when mimicked by the machine in "Foothold"?
    They should be, as the alien "photocopier" duplicated exactly what was passed through it. This should, however, mean that the guy Teal'c flattened should have been wearing his uniform, unless he was dressed in civvies when he was copied.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBee
    They should be, as the alien "photocopier" duplicated exactly what was passed through it. This should, however, mean that the guy Teal'c flattened should have been wearing his uniform, unless he was dressed in civvies when he was copied.
    Haven't seen foothold in a while so i may be mistaken, but wasn't Jack in BDU's when he was jabbed by alien Janet? Which means that it's possible that the dupilcated images weren't exactly of the clothes the person was wearing (it may have been what they were thinking about wearing or something)
    SecretArt
    My FanFic

I've just re-watched "footholder", and it does seem that the copies are wearing the same uniform as the people replicated and hanging.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

Okay, despite how much Jack hates Kinsey he's not going to kill him. So I knew it had to be a double of Jack or it was Jack under the influence of some alien technology. It took them the whole ep to prove this. Please.

Next episode, people.

Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBee
    I've just re-watched "footholder", and it does seem that the copies are wearing the same uniform as the people replicated and hanging.
    not davis... even the evil davises in both eps were wearing different stuff!
    EDIT: sorry, i misread and thought you were talking about the two episodes, between which basically none of the doubles are dressed the same... but as for foothold itself, they never DO show daniel hanging, but i know he wasn't wearing that plaid shirt in the infirmary

oh well, overall it worked, but i do kinda wish they would be more consistent with the clothes...

still, both foothold and smoke and mirrors are among my faves (and foothold IS a fave) for their respective seasons (see my sig and i think you'll understand why )

Earth Symbol Re: Smoke and Mirrors (614)

Really good episode, I forgot all about the mimic technology.

Kinsey lived though
    Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.

I like the political stuff generally and I think Stargate does a reasonable job highlighting the political realities of such an eventuality... if everything else in our world is tainted by politics to some degree, it is inevitable that the Stargate programme would be similarly affected. Yup, I like the cloak and dagger stuff and this episode has a lot of cloaking and daggery stuff.

Kinsey... well, who doesn't want a piece of that guy... he's the archetypal political villan... smarmy and condescending. No, I didn't think we would be rid of him that easily... but not to worry, he gets his comeuppence in the nicest piece of Stargate devised poetic justice in Season 8.

Agent Barret... hot stuff... played by Peter Flemming... has some nice moments there with Carter... So he's the pleasant face to the NID... well, he certainly has a face to drool over anyway... Speaking of nice looking men, Maj Davis also makes an appearance... him I also like... must be kinda fun playing the good and bad guy in the same episode.

Certainly felt like cheering when Carter made her appearance and promptly informed the NID conspirators that "General Hammond sends his regards"... and the man in black comes bursting through the door... Ha, it certainly felt good to see them get a taste of their own medicine.

The interrogation or non-interrogation (?) scene between Teal'c and Langham is priceless... how does Christopher Judge do it? The king of deadpan, I'm sure.

All in all, a very good episode with Stargate in full thriller mode.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

I liked this ep

I kinda wished Kinsey had truly bought the farm, though
    http://members.shaw.ca/userkey/user_...nky1ani1uj.gif YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Quote Originally Posted by LMichelle
    Okay, despite how much Jack hates Kinsey he's not going to kill him. So I knew it had to be a double of Jack or it was Jack under the influence of some alien technology. It took them the whole ep to prove this. Please.

Next episode, people.
    If you put it that way, it is predictable. But then, so are almost all SG eps. They meet an alien baddie, they fight it, they succeed. We know they're all going to survive (or if we don't, we know well in advance).
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    I like the political stuff generally and I think Stargate does a reasonable job highlighting the political realities of such an eventuality... if everything else in our world is tainted by politics to some degree, it is inevitable that the Stargate programme would be similarly affected. Yup, I like the cloak and dagger stuff and this episode has a lot of cloaking and daggery stuff.

Kinsey... well, who doesn't want a piece of that guy... he's the archetypal political villan... smarmy and condescending. No, I didn't think we would be rid of him that easily... but not to worry, he gets his comeuppence in the nicest piece of Stargate devised poetic justice in Season 8.

Agent Barret... hot stuff... played by Peter Flemming... has some nice moments there with Carter... So he's the pleasant face to the NID... well, he certainly has a face to drool over anyway... Speaking of nice looking men, Maj Davis also makes an appearance... him I also like... must be kinda fun playing the good and bad guy in the same episode.

Certainly felt like cheering when Carter made her appearance and promptly informed the NID conspirators that "General Hammond sends his regards"... and the man in black comes bursting through the door... Ha, it certainly felt good to see them get a taste of their own medicine.

The interrogation or non-interrogation (?) scene between Teal'c and Langham is priceless... how does Christopher Judge do it? The king of deadpan, I'm sure.

All in all, a very good episode with Stargate in full thriller mode.

so what did we learn in smoke and mirrors: kinsey really is evil, agent barret/peter flemming is very cute, major davis is adorable and can be an awesome baddie if he wants to be, carter can be quite evil to the bad guys, and christopher judge is the king of deadpan

yep, i'd say it was a worthwhile episode

it's one of my faves of season 6, alongside descent, the changeling, prophecy, and the other guys

Chief Master Sergeant hidden_envy's Avatar

this was a good episode even if i did keep get confused...but it all made sence at the end!plus there was evil major hottie...

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast