This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancient stasis pods??

After watching episodes of SGA "before i sleep" and "Aurora" i have started to wonder why the ancients stasis pod are not very advanced.

In "aurora" the ancients in stasis could not be revived as they had aged to much over the 10 thousand years in stasis. It is this problem that does not make any sense to me because in the SG-1 episode "Frozen" they found the ancient called Ayiana who had been frozen (IN JUST ICE) for millions of years and not aged at all.

so does that mean that the ancients became genetically weaker as they evolved or where the ancients just stupid?

There is another thread allready started on this:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=25245

Comment

I just think that their stasis pods were never designed to be used for that long in the first place. I'm sure they could have designed better ones if they wanted to stay in stasis for 10,000 years.

Comment

yea. the pods on the ships were ment to hold crew for the duration of the trip. not a time capsule. the pods in the citys were ment to hold a bit longer. but still, not that long.
        Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
        (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Even if they had wanted to, I doubt they could have created pods to stop aging all together. If a person was to be frozen, it would have to kill them, then they would have to be revived. that would cease the aging process without allowing the body to be distubed or to decay.

Comment

the frozen ancient was frozen and healed herself when defrosted. but yeah explained already in another thread

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Jester
              Even if they had wanted to, I doubt they could have created pods to stop aging all together. If a person was to be frozen, it would have to kill them, then they would have to be revived. that would cease the aging process without allowing the body to be distubed or to decay.
              Killing you doesn't stop the aging process. Your body remains very much alive for a while after ur death, e.g. ur nails grow, and your hair grows. And come on I think lack of fresh blood really isn't going to do much for those wrinkles! Unless the pod also applies moisturiser every now and then!

Comment

no, aparently the nails and hair growth is just an alusion created by the dead skin surrounding it, i'll try to get the exact article

Comment

from wikipedia

It is commonly claimed that nails and hair will continue growing for several days after death. This is a myth; the appearance of growth is actually caused by the retraction of skin as the surrounding tissue dehydrates, making nails and hair more prominent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_(anatomy)

also tomchris45, maybe the reason ancients all look young (except the old ancient from before i sleep) is because of an Ancient Moisturizer

Comment

[QUOTE=Stevo]from wikipedia

It is commonly claimed that nails and hair will continue growing for several days after death. This is a myth; the appearance of growth is actually caused by the retraction of skin as the surrounding tissue dehydrates, making nails and hair more prominent.
                    QUOTE]

I was just going to say i heard that on CSI lol
                    "A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject"

Comment

something about metabolic stasis and cryo stasis. uh reason ship doenst have very good stasis pods, why would you have them? it would only be used as a sleep chamber and a transport for large acomidations. the ship had a hyperdrive engine so they dont have to go at sublight speed to get from point a to point b
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

[QUOTE=JaceGate]
                        Originally posted by Stevo
                        from wikipedia

QUOTE]

I was just going to say i heard that on CSI lol
                        i heard it on csi too lol

Comment

[QUOTE=Stevo]
                          Originally posted by JaceGate

i heard it on csi too lol
                          That thing about The Nails and Hair is true. But just to make sure you guys do know that 80% of the "Science" stuff they do on CSI is crap that is not possible to do in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by oriprior
                            After watching episodes of SGA "before i sleep" and "Aurora" i have started to wonder why the ancients stasis pod are not very advanced.

In "aurora" the ancients in stasis could not be revived as they had aged to much over the 10 thousand years in stasis. It is this problem that does not make any sense to me because in the SG-1 episode "Frozen" they found the ancient called Ayiana who had been frozen (IN JUST ICE) for millions of years and not aged at all.

so does that mean that the ancients became genetically weaker as they evolved or where the ancients just stupid?
                            yeh that was because stasis doesnt freeze youu it just prolongs your life i guess alive although ice completely freezes your body therefore you cant age because theres nothing moving in your body and so on

Comment

what i dont get it how did weir manage to last 10,000 years and still be strong enouph to switch zpm's and talk to everyone else for a bit... but the ANCIENTS were too old.... arnt they supposed to be more evolved?
                              "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
                              "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
                              "I shot him. In the leg."
                              "I'm invulnerable."
                              "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
                              "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

Working...
                              X