This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Christian Unity

For those of us who aren't Christian, since I'm quite curious to see what variety we have on the board here and their various standpoints. The 'Religion' thread has been pretty much overpowered by certain people, and I may cry if I go back in there-- it frustrates me greatly that some standpoints are believed so strongly it's impossible to argue your own point without someone trying to knock the ceiling in on oneself. I don't particularly want to go back to that.

So, a civil discussion? No generalisations that aren't absolutely necessary to get a point across, please.

I am... a Unitarian Universalist, bisexual, former Anglican. Anyone else?

I just believe in God. But I don't believe he sends Messiahs or Prophets or Angels or anything else. I think he chooses not to interfere.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
      I just believe in God. But I don't believe he sends Messiahs or Prophets or Angels or anything else. I think he chooses not to interfere.
      Free will?

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia
        Free will?
        Eh the jury is still out on free will. It's more of a physics issue than a spirtual one.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
          Eh the jury is still out on free will. It's more of a physics issue than a spirtual one.
          Sounds interesting. Mind elaborating?

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia
            Sounds interesting. Mind elaborating?
            Well there's a lot of different pespectives on time. The one most people are familiar with is the idea that it's more or less fixed. Just like events have happened in the past they've happened in the future too. So basically our choices are already made, so no free will.

Some people think that because quantum physics says there could be multiple realities that that might mean we have the will to chose, and that our choice just takes us down a different "fork in the road". However, one could still argue that that journey is fixed and that you've already made the decisions on which roads to take, so you dont have free will.

Some might also say that just because you've already made the decisions doesn't mean you don't have free will. Just because you have made them in the future it's still you making them.

So I'm not sure...

Comment

Hmm! That is interesting.

I guess I don't know how I would feel about alternate realities. I have a hard enough time dealing with this one at the moment.

As for what I believe... have you ever seen the movie 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within'? My beliefs are pretty similar to their Gaia theory, mixed in with some Earth spirituality and a glob of acceptance.

Comment

I can't say that I really care if god(s) exist or not. As long as I try to be a good person, I don't believe that I be punished over something so trivial.

Comment

Working...
                X