Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think the Stargate series went wrong with the death of Sha're?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think the Stargate series went wrong with the death of Sha're?

I am slowly introducing Stargate to a new person who hasn't ever seen the show, and I decided for their benefit (and mine!!! I love re-watching Stargate) to start with the movie.

I realize the actress playing the roll of Shau'ri is different from the TV show's version (Sha're), but the basic concept is the same, she is Daniel's wife. I loved her in the movie. She was damn sexy, beautiful, and she knew that her people had to kick Ra's cosmic butt back into outerspace to free them from slavery.

The Sha're in the show was equally good... I think i prefered the original actress, but the new one grew on me in her time onscreen. She exuded the same femininity that the movie Shau'ri also had, a very unique Middle Easter/Arabic femininity which I personally adore.

My point in this thread?

They could have gone so many directions with her character. So many. She didn't need to die such a senseless and quite frankly, stupid death. Teal'c could have blaster her arm, or leg, or whacked her over the head. He didn't have to go for the kill shot. Of course it isn't his fault, it is the writers since they dictate the outcome of each show.

But I believe that had Sha're survived, the show would have gained a great character - I realize that these shows all live off of drama. Drama is good. But Sha're's death catapaulted Daniel in absolutely no new direction. She didn't need to die.

She should have survived and had the Goa'uld taken from her body as Skaara had. And she should have become Daniel's wife again. I mean, after 9 years what do they all have to show for themselves?

O'Neill... no one. Almost had something going with some no body they tossed onto the show for one episode till he realized he had feelings for Carter.

Carter... no one. She almost married one guy, but he wasn't the right one for her. The right one for her was written out of the show (despite some people's feelings, you could tell the writers were definetely pitching for the Sam/Jack romance that "could never be").

Teal'c... they come and go. He lost his wife, and since then has had "passing relationships" that boil down to sex.

Daniel... well, we have Vala now, but what with her carrying some unknown baby I'm not entirely sure how things will work out for them. But the point is Daniel should was the one stable member of the team and I believe that he deserved a family.

I think Sha're should have survived, and that she should have once again become a part of his life, even if that was brief appearences on the show as his wife.

Wouldn't it be a kick in the jimmy if in season 10, when the Tau'ri and the other races need some serious help against the Ori, Sha're appears before Daniel? I know technically she died, but the Ascended work in mysterious ways - they saved all the people of Abydoss (I still don't understand that one! lol), what if they saved Sha're's soul, and helped her Ascend?

What would be even more interesting, is if Daniel had met her and been with her when he was Ascended... and that he had forgotten about her as well when he had Descended back to the mortal coil.

Anyway, just an idea... I think my entire point is that I miss Sha're and I think her death was utterly stupid and most importantly... unneccessary.

I don't agree. I think her character served it's purpose. While yes, she possibly could have been kept around longer, I think it would have made things different in the later seasons. If they keep her around but remove the the goa'uld, then where would that leave us? I would imagine that Daniel would have left the SGC, and perhaps gone back to live on Abydos. SG-1 would have lost the person that always had the knack of convincing Jack to stay a little longer, or look at something from a different view, thus resulting in numerous stories throughout the seasons. Would the search for Shifu been the same, or even existed at all, if Sha're and Daniel return to Abydos? I don't really see how keeping her around without the goa'uld could have made any positive difference. Look at what it was like after Skaara was freed, he was done in the show until Full Circle, where he died. As tragic as it was for Daniel, and a few possible show stories that could have come from it, I think in the bigger picture of the show, I think it was the right move and well executed.

Just my opinion anyway.
    Those who live with no fear inevitably lead boring lives, for fear is the element within our hearts that breathes excitement into our souls.

Comment

Having Sha're around would have meant having to devote screen time to a Daniel/Sha're thing and that Daniel might quit the Stargate program. So let's just not.

On a sidenote, according to trivia, Michael Shanks' daughter played Sha're. Was it for the TV show or the movie? It'd be scary if it was for the show as they made out o_O.

Comment

I wish the Sha're character had survived, although I'm much more partial to the portrayal from the movie.
        sigpic

Comment

Apparentely, the woman who played Sha're was his ex-partner (with whom he had a daughter) and not daughter. I thought she looked way too old to be MS's daughter XD.
          Last edited by FallenAngelII; 13 March 2006, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
            On a sidenote, according to trivia, Michael Shanks' daughter played Sha're. Was it for the TV show or the movie? It'd be scary if it was for the show as they made out o_O.

I believe it is that she has a daughter with Shanks, and is not the daughter of Shanks.

Edit: Looks like you noticed your mistake.
            Those who live with no fear inevitably lead boring lives, for fear is the element within our hearts that breathes excitement into our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by RiderMayBail
              I don't agree. I think her character served it's purpose. While yes, she possibly could have been kept around longer, I think it would have made things different in the later seasons. If they keep her around but remove the the goa'uld, then where would that leave us? I would imagine that Daniel would have left the SGC, and perhaps gone back to live on Abydos. SG-1 would have lost the person that always had the knack of convincing Jack to stay a little longer, or look at something from a different view, thus resulting in numerous stories throughout the seasons. Would the search for Shifu been the same, or even existed at all, if Sha're and Daniel return to Abydos? I don't really see how keeping her around without the goa'uld could have made any positive difference. Look at what it was like after Skaara was freed, he was done in the show until Full Circle, where he died. As tragic as it was for Daniel, and a few possible show stories that could have come from it, I think in the bigger picture of the show, I think it was the right move and well executed.

Just my opinion anyway.
              yep.

Comment

I always thought it was stupid how they killed off Share i mean Teal'c could of shot her in the arm ??? it seemed to me they killed her off too quickly they could of done heaps more with the Share character

Comment

Originally posted by Nasa
                  I always thought it was stupid how they killed off Share i mean Teal'c could of shot her in the arm ??? it seemed to me they killed her off too quickly they could of done heaps more with the Share character
                  I think it I've read somewhere it was Michael Shank's request to get rid of Sha're from the show. In real life he and VB also split up, so I guess he just didn't want to work with her anymore.

Comment

I think her death was a good idea. She hung around almost as long as Apophis and after awhile it got tiring of having to watch Daniel go through pain whenever he saw her. They probably wanted to explore other relationships for the Daniel character. This death freed up the actress playing her for other roles. Her role in Stargate was sporadic at best and knowing for certain that you won't have a screen call from there unless it's a flashback has got to be freeing. =0)

Comment

I think that it was good when she died when she did because when she died it caused a lot of conflicts. Daniel was going to quit. The friendship between Daniel and Teal'c was separating which in the end made the friendship better. I guess more trust. Also, in the first few seasons he wasn't focused on the missions, all he was worried about was taking out Apophis so that they could get Ammonet out of Shar're. I think that he goes better with Sarah anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X